Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

No, a "customer" would be driven away by higher ticket prices, and find some other way to spend their entertainment dollars (or pounds).  Greedy owners want the hardcore fans, the kind of fan who is not sensitive to price increases and who will still be there if the team is awful.  Basically, greedy owners are looking to exploit your loyalty as a weakness to be used against you. 

Read up on 'exploitation of loyalty.' 

But conversely they aren't targeting hard core 'fans' at the crux of this. They're targeting a 'customer' that is willing to spend X amount on his day out, and would readily flip clubs to something else they owned if they could sell it as being more attractive. They wouldn't care if 45 K business men in suits were in the seats so long as those seats were taken. The clubs main focus is the day-tripping 'fan' (term used VERY loosely) from afar who will spend masses on both tickets and in the club shop on merchandise. The latter what many locals rarely do at the match. 

Hail. 

*Edit* And as MisterP reminds us, they openly said it themselves on their own prospectus and had it on the their own website!

Funny how that's now changed after all the outcry against it huh?

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Saying you want fans to be customers, and on the public site no less, is so incredibly disconnected. Its amazing.

Rumor is, again, Everton has some potential buyers. We definitely need some new investors to be able to spend some more money on players, but it makes me nervous. Because you dont know what the new owners would be like, will they spend the money? Will they spend the money well? Just having more money doesnt mean we would be better off.

• Like 2

Saying you want fans to be customers, and on the public site no less, is so incredibly disconnected. Its amazing.

Utterly abhorrent and reprehensible. You couldn't make it up if you tried. 

Rumor is, again, Everton has some potential buyers. We definitely need some new investors to be able to spend some more money on players, but it makes me nervous. Because you dont know what the new owners would be like, will they spend the money? Will they spend the money well? Just having more money doesnt mean we would be better off.

What I've been hearing for a few months now (from Blue friends for what thats worth)  is the sticking point has been over the shares. 

But I'd be wary of American owners. Too many bad examples the PL not to be. 

Hail. 

Utterly abhorrent and reprehensible. You couldn't make it up if you tried. 

What I've been hearing for a few months now (from Blue friends for what thats worth)  is the sticking point has been over the shares. 

But I'd be wary of American owners. Too many bad examples the PL not to be. 

Hail. 

Could be a cultural disconnect based on how sports in the US are run versus Europe. Would be wise to hire a GM type that understands the differences to oversee the management of the club and to provide that insight. But I would be nervous with any owner, the grass is always greener but you dont know what you are going to get. They could have enough money to spend like Chelsea or Man City, but they could run the club into the ground.

• Like 2

Could be a cultural disconnect based on how sports in the US are run versus Europe. 

Franchise versus club is a huge difference.  I know the Premiership and FA work together and stuff, but it seems more like a patchwork confederation than a solid front like any of the leagues over here.  But maybe my interpretation is off.  And there's no sort of relegation system in the US that I'm aware of.  But, it's not just American investors that are bad, though I guess there hasn't been an example of a good one yet in the English game?  But getting someone to run the club that's solid is also very important outside of investment.  

Venky's messed that up, trusted the wrong people and we've had a bad 5 or so years because of it.  Seem to be working their way out of it, but you never know.  I don't think Blackburn has fully gotten into the '20 is plenty' and other types of campaigns but their ticket prices are generally some of (if not the) lowest in the divisions they've been in.  I don't think they've raised prices once since they've taken over.

• Like 1

Borussia Dortmund fans to protest over ticket prices - ESPN FC

And that's for a pittance of what we pay. 

'Football has to be affordable.' I love that tagline.

Hail. 

Good luck to these fans, but the laws of economics are not subject to repeal.  Something of limited supply cannot be both desired by many and also remain cheap.  Football IS very affordable - just not the teams you and the vast majority of fans want to see. 

Good luck to these fans, but the laws of economics are not subject to repeal.  Something of limited supply cannot be both desired by many and also remain cheap.  Football IS very affordable - just not the teams you and the vast majority of fans want to see. 

That is an incredibly insular and somewhat selfish POV. 

Because there's now a different class of supporter in the game that is willing to keep on paying top wack, screw the traditional fan. Supply and demand and so long as people pay continue to pay it, we'll supply it at those top prices. I'm alright Jack but screw you. 

This isn't a traditional business we're talking about here and that falls down on so many levels. Not least when there is absolutely NO need outside pure greed when ticket revenue is such a minimal part of a clubs turnover now. Pre Premier League, it used to in the 90% plus bracket and the main finances from which clubs survived. Last year, using L'pool as an example, it was 12% of out total income. The current owners are hiking prices to garner an extra £2 million. Which goes absolutely nowhere in the modern game and is just, in effect, skimming off the top as a bonus in pure greed. And in so doing taking from the hand that feeds them. Hell, under the last TV deal it was economically proven they could charge no admission and still not take any significant hit. Now, they have an 8 plus billion mega bonanza coming in over the next three years. 

No one doubts today's high level sport is big business. But consistently hitting the life blood of that business when there's no economic reasoning for the business, and in so doing loosing more and more of that traditional life blood by the passing year; is not a sustainable way to continue. 

Clubs think it is as to this point there's been the supply. But that's been dropping off slightly the last few years and we may well have finally reached the tipping point with the latest insult. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

With these massive TV deals they're telling fans that that money and experience is just as good and in some cases better than the real thing.  Television is often more affordable/attractive than the actual game day experience.  I guess they'll push until it's broken, but it seems like a contradictory way to run things.

Edited by Old Bay
  • Like 1

Follow 

Ian Ayre: "If people want to leave after 77 minutes that is disappointing but it shouldn't be because they feel the prices are wrong." #lfc

• RETWEETS 12
  • LIKES 16
  • O-QGF3iA_normal.jpg_o43zIvW_normal.jpgwoqLddIb_normal.jpegsWeCm682_normal.jpg_YEl9U27_normal.jpgYlnizua0_normal.jpgKO12a31A_normal.jpg-v-mi60i_normal.jpghZbR7WQD_normal.png

7:22 AM - 5 Feb 2016

The arrogance of the club through this puppet continues to astound. What frigging World do they live in? (Rhetorical, as it's not one you or I live in.). 

It's PRECISELY because of that you jumped up little gob****e.

Cost of player acquisitions that you clamor for?

£ 2 million in extra ticket revenue is buying you what again?

Hail. 

• Like 2

There is no price where a drug addict will stop being addicted, but instead of coke he'll probably go to crack. Dealers then have a choice: lower price of coke, sell it as a crack base to make up for the loss in coke sales. Where the analogy falls short is that there is no Liverpool alternative, maybe just watching it on TV. 

• Like 1

That is an incredibly insular and somewhat selfish POV. 

Because there's now a different class of supporter in the game that is willing to keep on paying top wack, screw the traditional fan. Supply and demand and so long as people pay continue to pay it, we'll supply it at those top prices. I'm alright Jack but screw you. 

This isn't a traditional business we're talking about here and that falls down on so many levels. Not least when there is absolutely NO need outside pure greed when ticket revenue is such a minimal part of a clubs turnover now. Pre Premier League, it used to in the 90% plus bracket and the main finances from which clubs survived. Last year, using L'pool as an example, it was 12% of out total income. The current owners are hiking prices to garner an extra £2 million. Which goes absolutely nowhere in the modern game and is just, in effect, skimming off the top as a bonus in pure greed. And in so doing taking from the hand that feeds them. Hell, under the last TV deal it was economically proven they could charge no admission and still not take any significant hit. Now, they have an 8 plus billion mega bonanza coming in over the next three years. 

No one doubts today's high level sport is big business. But consistently hitting the life blood of that business when there's no economic reasoning for the business, and in so doing loosing more and more of that traditional life blood by the passing year; is not a sustainable way to continue. 

Clubs think it is as to this point there's been the supply. But that's been dropping off slightly the last few years and we may well have finally reached the tipping point with the latest insult. 

Hail. 

"Selfish"?  I'm like you, a fan, not an owner,  There's a better chance you'll own LFC or a similar team in your lifetime than I ever will, so don't confuse on whose side I reside.  I'm just stating the obvious - almost nobody leaves money on the table.  If you were offered a raise at work, you'd probably take it, and if you were offered a discount on a purchase, you'd probably take that too.  And that's fine, I'd do the same.  And so will owners, which is what they're doing here.  Maybe you're right, that this will embitter the fan base and prove to be short-term smart but long-term foolish.  Snyder tried much of the same when he first bought the Redskins, and now he's forced to rip seats he couldn't sell out of the stadium.  The mere fact that a team is profitable as-is has hardly stopped any owner from trying to trying to make even more money for themselves.  The NFL is raking in the cash, but is still trying to find new revenue sources regardless.  Each fan just has to decide where his/her breaking point is.  There's many reason I rarely attend live sporting events anymore, but cost is the main one. 

Edited by Mursilis
  • Like 1

This man is a pricks prick. The spin coming out the club would make the Tory party jealous! The club telling journalists they couldn't question Klopp on the protest today was another ****house move knowing what his response would of been. The Boston propaganda machine is in full flow. 

Yeah, this ****'s gonna' get ugly.

Hail. 

Apparently Chels rejected a big from one of the China clubs for Oscar.  A reported 75m Euros.  That is a ridiculous price and as much as I do appreciate Oscar and think he's one hell of a player...I just can't justify turning it down.  

With that said Oscar would probably reject the contract.  The boy is ambitious and wants European football.  

• Like 1

You know one of the things that's really narking the living piss out of me within all the ticket debate? When I walk out the ground tomorrow after 77 minutes, hopefully, along with thousands of others, I'll be doing something that goes against everything we stand for as Liverpool fans. Breaking that unique bond we have with players and managers. Something modern day Liverpool has been built on since '59 when Shanks walked through the door. Fans, players, manager. ALL that matters. The 'Holy Trinity' as the great man called it. The corner stone of all our success over the years. And FSG are forcing us, en masse for the very first time, to walk out on players and manager. 

Thankfully, we once again have a manager who has done nothing but try his damndest from day one to bring back that bond and have that triumvirate as one again. He realises just how important WE are to everything he's trying to build. So at least he'll fully understand. 

But for Boston to back us into a corner to break that bond is unforgivable.

Hail. 

Apparently Chels rejected a big from one of the China clubs for Oscar.  A reported 75m Euros.  That is a ridiculous price and as much as I do appreciate Oscar and think he's one hell of a player...I just can't justify turning it down.  

With that said Oscar would probably reject the contract.  The boy is ambitious and wants European football.  

£57.5 million in sterling or there about's. 

If those reports are accurate, then that's beyond ridiculous money for him. 

And beyond ridiculous and totally to Chelsea's detriment to turn it down IMO like yourself. 

China is getting out of control crazy with the money. 

Hail. 

Curious to see if the walkout happens if the game is in the balance. 

GHH are you anticipating a large legion of liverpoolites leaving at 77?  Sorry I haven't been following this story, but who is organizing the walkout?

And therein lies a major problem. You're still going to get a large portion that stay regardless. It might be their first ever game/ their 1/2 games a year that's a magical experience to them no matter what they've paid or how ****e the atmosphere is. The day-tripping fraternity. It might be the 'you stay and back the team regardless' brigade. It may be those that can afford it, and want to justify their ticket. Or it may just be the complete ignorants that don't understand they and their fellow fans are being shafted blind by the club. 

All you can do is make your own stand and hope a very sizeable proportion follow to make it massively news worthy. 

Just fan organised Skinss. We have one of the most active fan bases in England that have consistently lead the Nationwide protest over tickets the last few years. And the supporters union are already planning on a wide scale hit of the major sponsors again. The first being announced tomorrow. That alone played a massive part in removing the previous owners. 

We've shown previously when you stick together, no organisation is impenetrable. 

The game to me is completely secondary to sending the first clear message to Boston that this will no longer be tolerated. 

Hail. 

*Edit* What you hope, this time round, is the more mobilised and bigger the campaign gets, people remember that strength in unity and more stand behind the fight. What we don't need is a return to fan against fan and the toxic atmosphere  that prevailed at many games through the Hicks/ Gillett era. 

• Like 3