Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

You know how we do bruh lol

Actually, the funny thing is that I really do believe that Arsenal can advance THIS year.

I know that that score-line would normally be a death sentence, but if you look at Giroud missing that sitter, Welbeck hitting his own player and over instead of into an empty net, along with several other GREAT chances, Arsenal easily scores 3 or 4.  Get a little lucky and make those chances in Monaco, I think you may have something.

Bottom line: Totally unacceptable European season for Liverpool Football Club.

Hail.

I was shocked how bad Liverpool were last night in midfield. They could not win the ball or retain possession and to cap it all the midfield did not even protect their back 3 either ...The lack of someone to put their hand up and run that area of the pitch was glaring.

On a positive note Mingloet has improved leaps and bounds from the first half of the season. Looks like he has got his confidence back although I still dont see him as a dominating world class keeper.

I was shocked how bad Liverpool were last night in midfield. They could not win the ball or retain possession and to cap it all the midfield did not even protect their back 3 either ...The lack of someone to put their hand up and run that area of the pitch was glaring.

On a positive note Mingloet has improved leaps and bounds from the first half of the season. Looks like he has got his confidence back although I still dont see him as a dominating world class keeper.

They had the 4-5-1 going and dominated the midfield at Anfield and in Instanbul last might.

I liked the 11 from Rodgers, but you nailed it, the lack of effectiveness in ability to control the game in the midfield was what lost the game for us.  I love the attacking options, but when you don't have a Coutinho out there as well as being handicapped with Joe Allen, you don't have a solid and reliable distribution to the young attacking players.

That and this was Sturridge's worst game in Red, for me.  Not even close.

It was a very naive performance from Arsenal. It was a 180 minute CL match. Monaco got a fluke goal against the run of play. Instead of staying patient, players were pushing too hard to get the goal back. Then it happened again after Ox' goal—they needed to keep their head and just take a 2-1 deficit on the road. 

I thought Bellerin and Gibbs were just too far up too often. Do you really need to commit 7 players to attack Monaco at least this early in the tie?

Plus, a big problem is who is the leader on the field to make these tactical calls? My friend and I are pretty immersed in Arsenal and talk about it daily but when I posed this question, there's no clear answer. There's no Viera, there's no Scholes/Giggs/Keane role in there. In player acquisition, there seems to be an over-emphasis on technical ability. I don't think anyone will question the technical ability of Arsenal players relative to their position (except for Flam) but a player is more than just technical ability. 

I can see a situation in the next leg where we are up 5-0 by halftime. 

The weird thing is that this is the deepest and most talented Arsenal team in many many years but they are also the least consistent, least cohesive.

Actually, the funny thing is that I really do believe that Arsenal can advance THIS year.

I know that that score-line would normally be a death sentence, but if you look at Giroud missing that sitter, Welbeck hitting his own player and over instead of into an empty net, along with several other GREAT chances, Arsenal easily scores 3 or 4.  Get a little lucky and make those chances in Monaco, I think you may have something.

Arsenal could have scored four or five goals

The problem is Arsenal have wastemen at strikers in Nii Tackie and Big Sexy.

We will beat Monaco 0-2 and get another glorious failure in the round of 16.

I don't think anyone will question the technical ability of Arsenal players relative to their position (except for Flam) but a player is more than just technical ability.

I disagree with this.

Outside of Alexis, Rosicky, Ozil, and Santi, the technical ability of these players isnt at the elite level to handle matches like this.

The weird thing is that this is the deepest and most talented Arsenal team in many many years but they are also the least consistent, least cohesive.

they arent smart players yet Wumger thinks they are.

Its really on him. In the Invincibles documentary, the players said Arsene let them play their games and didnt put a real system on them. They had structure, but it wasnt Maureen-levels micromanaging.

Arsene has to realize that some guys need to be micromanaged or else they do stupid things.

• Like 1

If you think its bad now, wait until next year and the massive void Gerrard will leave.

If Rodgers honestly thinks the woeful Henderson is a leader then he could well be gone by Christmas.

And yes,signing a top class 'keeper should still be priority number 1 this summer.

As it should of been last.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

If you think its bad now, wait until next year and the massive void Gerrard will leave.

If Rodgers honestly thinks the woeful Henderson is a leader then he could well be gone by Christmas.

And yes,signing a top class 'keeper should still be priority number 1 this summer.

As it should of been last.

Hail.

None of this would be happening if we would've just listened to DC9's fool-proof plan, which involved Alex Song. 

Rodger better be gone if we don't finish top 4 AND win the FA Cup.  The opportunities for him to prove himself are dwindling... and I still haven't forgotten the 4-2-3-1 patient build up we had to sit through for the first three months of the season, either.

• Like 1

Please don't get RawBBQSauce giddy ! ;)

I agree Monaco got lucky but credit is due to Jardim's strategy (including 2 key defensive backs missing).

Stats say: 98.2% chance of qualifying for Monaco, 164 teams having won 3-1 away in the first leg in the European Cups (since the 1970-1971 season), 161 have qualified after the second leg. 0% in the CL

Even if the chances are very slim, as our English friends say try, try, and try again.

Edited by FrFan

Yeah, thats been another glaring need at Arsenal for years.

If De Gea goes, Chelsea continue ro have the two marquee 'keepers in the league. Hart and Loris are good but far from great. Everyone else is just distinctly average at best.

Hail.

I think thats a fair summary. Chelsea wil never sell Cech to another Premier League side (unless they make a stupid offer) - he will move in the summer to another European team.

Someone in the top 5 who needs a keeper could do a lot worse than make Stoke an offer for Begovic or if you want to roll the dice a bit more his backup Butland. I dont think you could sign Butland as your intended number 1 but if Liverpool say brought him he would be real competition for Mingolet and probably win the job sometime next year.

• Like 1

Yeah, thats been another glaring need at Arsenal for years.

If De Gea goes, Chelsea continue ro have the two marquee 'keepers in the league. Hart and Loris are good but far from great. Everyone else is just distinctly average at best.

Hail.

There's somewhat of a parallel that can be drawn here with the top clubs' search for world class keepers and NFL teams perennially searching for franchise QB's. Not equating the importance/weight of the position to the success of the team, but, from talent acquisition standpoint.

They don't grow on trees. The ones that are out there, are under contract, and aren't going anywhere until they are well past their primes. You just have to scout young, and hope you hit a home run with a good prospect.

None of this would be happening if we would've just listened to DC9's fool-proof plan, which involved Alex Song.

Rodger better be gone if we don't finish top 4 AND win the FA Cup. The opportunities for him to prove himself are dwindling... and I still haven't forgotten the 4-2-3-1 patient build up we had to sit through for the first three months of the season, either.

You and everyone else knows my views on him so I'll just quietly nod in agreement.

I honestly thought we had a serious shot at going to Warsaw.

Should of known better.

BTW, conpletely agree on Lovren taking rhe last pen. The argument Sterling **** out is a spurious one as no ones telling me Lovren was chomping at the bit to take it. If you don't order Raheem to take it, then as you mentioned turn to Toure with his past experience.

Or don't take both of your strikers off already in a game you should of been trying to win!

Hail.

• Like 1

BTW, conpletely agree on Lovren taking rhe last pen. The argument Sterling **** out is a spurious one as no ones telling me Lovren was chomping at the bit to take it. If you don't order Raheem to take it, then as you mentioned turn to Toure with his past experience.

Or don't take both of your strikers off already in a game you should of been trying to win!

Hail.

That's why I defended Balo with the pen in the first match. I want 5 guys to step up and grab the ball and say 'I'm taking this shot and no-one's going to stop me'...I don't think that happened. I think the kids were scared. I credit Lovern for stepping up, but you have to make it.

On a side note, I don't think any of the strikers are capable of playing 120 minutes...

Hail.

How about Forester? He is having a good season. Edited by jobaga

Hail.

Ahem... and if I'm Brendan, I look at Sterling as he is punking out and remind him that he's just asked me for 130k a week. 

• Like 1

Ahem... and if I'm Brendan, I look at Sterling as he is punking out and remind him that he's just asked me for 130k a week.

I'll say it again, if the rumours about Madrid paying £ 50 million are true I'm snapping their hamds off, going with Ibe and buying a top class winger ro replace Sterling.

He's really over hyped for me. No leas by L'pool fans. The amount of times he picks the wrong option from a great position is criminal. I appreciate hes still just 20 but he's now a staple and focal point and he just doesn't justify wages anything like that.

He's good but not good enough to turn down £ 50 million.

And I'm now REAL pissed as I've missed a trip to Brugges.

Thank you Liverpool. Thank you so much.

Hail.

• Like 2

I'll say it again, if the rumours about Madrid paying £ 50 million are true I'm snapping their hamds off, going with Ibe and biying a top class winger ro replace Sterling.

He's really over hyped for me. No leas by L'pool fans. The amount of times he picks the wrong option drom a great position is criminal. I apprdciate hes still just 20 but he's now a staple and focal point but he just doesn't justify wages anything like that.

As I say... he's all pace.

Which he's not, really, but the rest of his game is far inferior to his speed.  Passing, vision, finishing.

I'm definitely on board with you on getting cash for the kittie.  Especially with Markovic and Ibe showing well off the wing. 

• Like 1

And that's another thing that will be the big test, 

The Summer window. 

I don't care if we only buy 2 players. Both HAVE to be World Class talents. 

He's filled out the squad with mediocre to good players. There can be NO more excuses for more of the same. 

Spend. And spend what it takes on proven top notch quality. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

Someone in the top 5 who needs a keeper could do a lot worse than make Stoke an offer for Begovic or if you want to roll the dice a bit more his backup Butland. I dont think you could sign Butland as your intended number 1 but if Liverpool say brought him he would be real competition for Mingolet and probably win the job sometime next year.

What gives me pause on Butland, and I've been as vocal as yourself in pushing his potential on these here pages; is he's not pushed Begovic. At all. He's lucky to get a league cup game. 

One would think Stoke would be happy to cash in on Begovic if Butland was good enough to step up. 

Makes one wonder just what he's not showing in training and limited action. 

Hail. 

The Ospina experiment is over. The guy has the athleticism of a statue and he fumbles wayy to many simple plays

Scz is a moron but at least he's athletic

I don't know how realistic this is, but I would love to see Aston Villa be relegated to the Championship Division and hope that we could make a move to buy Guzan from them and shore up our keeper issues.