Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are suits with vests out of style?

MissU28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ugh. Graphic vests? Why would somebody make such a thing?

The Steve Maddens are good shoes. Something like those, or even sometimes a nice pair of New Balances, are fine with jeans.

http://www.buckle.com/product/product_detail.jsp?prd=77850VW21039&cm_mmc=TRShopping-_-Froogle-_-keywords-_-Roar%20Narrow%20Vest

i don't like it, but i don't rag on people who rock em really, that and express had em when i worked there haha. New balances are fine if u have casual jeans on, it really depends on the entire look. I was like a walkin billboard for Express, Guess and H&M throughout my collegiate career quasi hipster i suppose :paranoid:

My boyfriend and I went suit shopping tonight. He is a helicopter mechanic, so he doesn't own a suit and has never owned a suit. We're going to a wedding on Saturday. He wanted a vest with his suit, and I thought it looked really nice.

I know nothing about men's fashion, especially suits. He ended up buying the suit with the vest, and I thought he looked really nice in it. A few of my friends are saying that a vest is not fashionable, though.

I dunno, I like it.

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/suiting/200412/sean-connery-goldfinger-three-piece

According to those masters of fashion, GQ magazine... they are still in!

Usually more acceptable as a formal cold-weather outfit.

I see quite a few in my office, especially during the change of seasons when the building's heat can get out of control. We have a pretty formal office (suits everyday) and the 3 piece lets you lose the jacket in your office and still look more put together than just your shirt and tie would allow.

Zoon. Anything along the lines of the Rockport example is a much, much, much better alternative then the Jerry Seinfeld look. That's what I wear when wearing jeans. The Rockport style not the Seinfeld.

BTW. You shall now be referred to as Paulie.

I don't care what anybody says but I think suits with vests look sharp as hell if done right.

It's what I would rock.

Sure.

If you resemble Justin Timberlake, Brad Pitt, or David Beckham, and have access to a 3,000 dollar tailored custom suit with a vest, it works.

Who cares? They like nice is all I was saying.

Yeah, I agree with that completely.

I just meant that it's a really hard look to pull off, unless you're able to go all out with it and get a really high end tailored suit for the style. If you're just going off the rack, it's not going to look nearly as good. Which is why personally, I just don't bother.

Who cares? They like nice is all I was saying.

They like nice? :silly:

Anyway it doesn't matter who can and can't pull off the look. The original question was whether the look is out of style. It's clearly not. There is an implied stipulation to any outfit choice that it only works if done right.

And for the record, the suit with vest look CAN be done right without paying $5,000+, and without having the body of Brad Pitt or David Beckham.

You all are showing your age!

Enjoy your nut huggers and early bird dinners, fellas!

Signed,

Somebody Under 30

:ols:

Seriously, I can't believe there's a debate going on about what to wear to the mall. We should probably start another thread about how far kids need to turn down their new-fangled rap music.

:ols:

Seriously, I can't believe there's a debate going on about what to wear to the mall. We should probably start another thread about how far kids need to turn down their new-fangled rap music.

the mall was a general example. The discussion was actually centered around what to wear in public.

My semester in Europe, first day, our professor pointed out to us that we stood out as Americans because we wore shorts to class. We didn't even notice. Sure enough, we looked around and discovered he was right.

There is a reason that America is known as the land of slobs and losers among most western nations. Take a quick look around.

So maybe it's not so much an age thing as it is class? Meh, who cares, just opinions in the end.

*edit*

and yes, I am old. :finger:

I'll simply reiterate what others have said. Three piece suits are timeless and never go out of style. They are certainly a more conservative look but not out of style as some people have claimed.

Ultimately though, my advice would be to go with what he FEELS good in. Does he feel good in that vested suit? Will he feel awkward and self-counscious or will he feel confident? If he feels confident, and you think he looks good, then I say by all means have him wear the vest no matter what anybody else says.

But then again, I would much rather be the overdressed guy at the wedding in the three piece suit then the guy that shows up in faded khakis and a golf shirt.

Archived