Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are suits with vests out of style?

MissU28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You are big pimpin if you can wear it, most people can't.

I guess I am not hip enough. That looks sloppy to me. Same as wearing a shirt tucked in without a belt.

If you tuck in a shirt with a pair of jeans then you look a little too uptight IMO. The preppy look has long passed.

Vest is definitely in style as long as you don't have a big stomach. If you do then all the material meeting up there will make you look even bigger.

I am a big fan of the vest and love the 3 piece suit. It allows me to be very dressed up, sport just a vest if it is hot outside or a regular suit without it.

If you tuck in a shirt with a pair of jeans then you look a little too uptight IMO. The preppy look has long passed.

I disagree. I think after a certain age you just look like a low-rent shmuck.

My wife and I were having this conversation not long ago while we were in the mall. We decided to do some people watching. She disagreed with me at first, but ended up changing her mind, as we watched several dozen forty-something men walking by dressed like little boys.

Pretty difficult to command respect over the age of 35 wearing cargo shorts and a baggy T-shirt. These people just look beaten down by life.

Compared to say, men who look like they might take a little pride in their look and wear their clothes properly. That commands instant respect. i.e. no cargo shorts, no affliction t shirts, shirt only untucked if style calls for it, etc.

JMO of course. But I bet you we could sit down together for 20 minutes in any public place in the country and I could change your mind. :silly:

Not with a vest though.

I wore jeans with a button down just last night. Untucked and all, but not with a vest. Actually, I wouldn't wear a vest with jeans ever.

It is not about looking preppy to me. It is about looking organized. You tuck in your shirt then you need a belt.

Black shoes, black belt.

Brown shoes, brown belt.

You done went to meddling now.

It's all good, people ultimately can do what they want. My opinion is as meaningless as anyone elses :)

I turned 35 a few weeks ago. I've decided to retire my cargo short collection, 'cept when I'm doing work around the house. And I'm giving serious consideration to retiring shorts altogether.

There was an episode of The Sopranos where Tony was having a backyard BBQ and he was wearing shorts. The producers thought nothing of it, naturally.

However, a couple of mob guys who were fans of the show actually got word to the producers of the show that "Dons don't wear shorts". They were offended... that their leader would be portrayed as a shmuck in shorts.

The producers of the show actually worked it into the plot of the show... they had Junior Soprano give Tony a lecture about wearing shorts. "What's this I hear about you wearing shorts Tony?" with a look of disgust.

As I get further into my old age, I find myself agreeing with the wise guys. I think it just gets harder and harder to pull off shorts after a certain age, and not look like a shmuck. :whoknows:

Now, I will prepare for the onslaught of criticism from the masses. :munchout:

JMO of course. But I bet you we could sit down together for 20 minutes in any public place in the country and I could change your mind. :silly:

The main problem is that people are trying to copy a hipster New York look with Knoxville bodies and Target clothes.

Not to sound like McD5, but I can pull off certain looks in the pair of custom jeans I bought for $250 in the meatpacking district that I just can't pull off with the jeans I bought at Kohl's for $20.

I want to agree with you on the shorts. In a perfect world, I would not wear shorts. However, it is going to be 101 and humid this weekend in Houston. So....to hell with that.

In general, my fashion template is WWSD (What Would Sinatra Do?) You really can't go wrong with clothes that would be in style in 1930, 1950, 1980 or today.

I want to agree with you on the shorts. In a perfect world' date=' I would not wear shorts. However, it is going to be 101 and humid this weekend in Houston. So....to hell with that.

[/quote']

I hear you on that. However I've found a light pair of khakis or jeans can be quite comfy.

I hear you on that. However I've found a light pair of khakis or jeans can be quite comfy.

Sorry my man, but wearing a pair of jeans in this hot ass weather looks worse then the cargo shorts you pointed out and please tell me you don't wear sneakers with those jeans. That look drives me bonkers.

Pretty difficult to command respect over the age of 35 wearing cargo shorts and a baggy T-shirt. These people just look beaten down by life.

Compared to say, men who look like they might take a little pride in their look and wear their clothes properly. That commands instant respect. i.e. no cargo shorts, no affliction t shirts, shirt only untucked if style calls for it, etc.

There was a thread just recently about a similar fashion topic, and I made the point about cargo shorts not cutting it and a few people disagreed with me.

They're good if you're cleaning your gutters, doing yardwork, or something else that requires a lot of pocket space. If you're walking around in public, put the cargo pockets away.

And don't even get me started on cargo pants.

Plain khaki shorts are ok though.

I wore jeans with a button down just last night. Untucked and all, but not with a vest. Actually, I wouldn't wear a vest with jeans ever.

The vest with jeans look doesn't fly with guys unless you're a hipster or wannabe rapper. And most of those kinds of guys who try it, don't pull it off.

Women can do the vest with jeans look very well. Guys, not so much.

Sorry my man, but wearing a pair of jeans in this hot ass weather looks worse then the cargo shorts you pointed out and please tell me you don't wear sneakers with those jeans. That look drives me bonkers.

What type of shoes are preferrable?

Still trying to understand the need to command respect at a mall.

Is shopping a social event? :pfft:

I hate the idea that there are times when it is ok to look like a slob.

agreed.

Almost anything else. Sneakers with jeans basically screams "I do not care what the eff I look like" Might as well be wearing sweatpants in public.

What about dark colored tennis shoes? Is that okay?

Almost anything else. Sneakers with jeans basically screams "I do not care what the eff I look like" Might as well be wearing sweatpants in public.

"Sneakers with jeans" is a pretty blanket statement.

I think it depends on what kind of shoes you're talking about (sneakers included) and what kind of jeans you're wearing to begin with.

Not that I think it's a good look to begin with, but why wear a graphic tee with a vest? Wouldn't the vest cover the graphic design?

you're suppose to wear the vest open. Some vests themselves have graphics embedded on to them, not a fan of the embedded graphic vests, but i do rock graphic tees+vests.

I have two "casual vests" and one part of a three piece suit.

On the shoe thing, gotta rock the city sneakers or casual wear with jeans now. The only time I wear sneakers is with gym apparel or when i go shoot some hoops.

By city sneakers I mean something like this:

http://www.rockport.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3172147&cp=3087296&fbc=1&f=PAD/Top+Level+Style/Casual+Shoes&pg=2&fbn=Top+Level+Style|Casual+Shoes&parentPage=family

or something in Steve Madden:

http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=52290&path=|mens%20shoes|mens%20sneakers|

Yes' date=' actually.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that men should still wear ties and hats to baseball games so I may be the wrong person to discuss this.

I hate the idea that there are times when it is ok to look like a slob.[/quote']

You sound like my wife.:ols:

You should see my beach bum attire for buying big ticket items,the sandals my dog chews on lends a certain je ne sais quoi imo....and since mine is the only one that matters:cool:

you're suppose to wear the vest open. Some vests themselves have graphics embedded on to them, not a fan of the embedded graphic vests, but i do rock graphic tees+vests.

I have two "casual vests" and one part of a three piece suit.

On the shoe thing, gotta rock the city sneakers or casual wear with jeans now. The only time I wear sneakers is with gym apparel or when i go shoot some hoops.

By city sneakers I mean something like this:

http://www.rockport.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3172147&cp=3087296&fbc=1&f=PAD/Top+Level+Style/Casual+Shoes&pg=2&fbn=Top+Level+Style|Casual+Shoes&parentPage=family

or something in Steve Madden:

http://www.stevemadden.com/item.aspx?id=52290&path=|mens%20shoes|mens%20sneakers|

Ugh. Graphic vests? Why would somebody make such a thing?

The Steve Maddens are good shoes. Something like those, or even sometimes a nice pair of New Balances, are fine with jeans.

Archived