Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are suits with vests out of style?

MissU28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

My boyfriend and I went suit shopping tonight. He is a helicopter mechanic, so he doesn't own a suit and has never owned a suit. We're going to a wedding on Saturday. He wanted a vest with his suit, and I thought it looked really nice.

I know nothing about men's fashion, especially suits. He ended up buying the suit with the vest, and I thought he looked really nice in it. A few of my friends are saying that a vest is not fashionable, though.

I dunno, I like it.

If you are buying a suit, the vest should match the suit. If you're buying or renting a tuxedo, the vest usually does not match.

A three piece suit is a very conservative look, so the concern with style should be whether you are overdressed.

If you are buying a suit, the vest should match the suit. If you're buying or renting a tuxedo, the vest usually does not match.

A three piece suit is a very conservative look, so the concern with style should be whether you are overdressed.

Well, he bought a nice Ralph Lauren black skinny pinstriped suit with a matching vest. He wants the vest so he can take his jacket off and just wear that instead of just a shirt and tie.

And it's better to be overdressed than underdressed!!

Keep in mind R, that most of these guys would rock a white tux to prom.

honestly, if a guy can rock a white tux, more power to him. I don't hate on men wearing suits. I actually really liked this black and pink Sean John suit with vest that I saw at the store!

Iowa might not be the best testing ground for fashion, but I was the only guy who didn't wear a vest at prom (Junior and Senior year). They're only necessary if you plan on taking the jacket off, otherwise they're pretty much useless.

But why? It looks good.

Different color vests are for tuxedos and prom.

To me the purpose of the vest is to stand out and be able to pull it off without the jacket. Typically it looks better without the jacket.

I am not saying that he should wear a red vest with a black suit. But perhaps a grey vest with a dark grey suit.

Iowa might not be the best testing ground for fashion, but I was the only guy who didn't wear a vest at prom (Junior and Senior year). They're only necessary if you plan on taking the jacket off, otherwise they're pretty much useless.

that's what he wanted it for- he doesn't plan on wearing the jacket all night

I'm not gonna make the cover of GQ anytime soon but you asked for opinions so here's mine:

I own 11 suits, 6 of them have vests. I also own 4 vests to wear with shirt and tie alone.

I like the suit/vest look, I also like that I can lose the jacket and still have an air of formality about my appearance.

that's what he wanted it for- he doesn't plan on wearing the jacket all night

In that case, it's probably a good thing he got the vest. If he takes off the jacket and just has a dress shirt on, it will be a pretty plain look. The vest allows him to keep from looking under-dressed.

honestly, if a guy can rock a white tux, more power to him. I don't hate on men wearing suits. I actually really liked this black and pink Sean John suit with vest that I saw at the store!

No white guy should be caught wearing a white tuxedo or suit. Unless said white guy is in a boy band, it's a terrible look.

Of course I don't know if your boyfriend is white, black, blue, or rainbow colored, but that's the deal there.

The vest with the suit look isn't out of style so much as it's just rare. It's a really dressy look so not a lot of people go for it. Personally I can't stand wearing a vest, I just wear a suit, and if I'm switching to something more casual I just take off my tie but keep the jacket on.

No white guy should be caught wearing a white tuxedo or suit. Unless said white guy is in a boy band, it's a terrible look.

Of course I don't know if your boyfriend is white, black, blue, or rainbow colored, but that's the deal there.

The vest with the suit look isn't out of style so much as it's just rare. It's a really dressy look so not a lot of people go for it. Personally I can't stand wearing a vest, I just wear a suit, and if I'm switching to something more casual I just take off my tie but keep the jacket on.

Isn't it really hot keeping your jacket on all night?

Isn't it really hot keeping your jacket on all night?

Not really. I don't know, I never really think about it. I get more uncomfortable having to wear a tie tightened up around my collar with my shirt buttoned all the way up to the top than keeping my jacket on.

Archived