Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Sunday Ticket 2010 - new options

DixieFlatline

Well, it's about that time for the annual Sunday Ticket thread. They are doing it differently this year. I just got a letter in the mail explaining the new options.

Sunday Ticket - $300

includes - HD channels, Red Zone channel, Game mix channel, and Short Cuts (watch entire games in 30 mins)

Sunday Ticket To Go - $50

includes - watching games on mobile devices, watch games online

So, basically they rolled the old Superfan into the regular Sunday Ticket. Does anyone remember how much they charged for just Sunday Ticket last year? I want to say it was $250 or $260.

I was able to get prices reduced last year by calling in and telling them I wanted to cancel because the prices were too high. I will probably do something similar in August after they charge me the first time. I definitely don't have any use for the new Ticket To Go package.

Sounds like the ticket to go is an option since the price is separate. Same as the Red Zone stuff was previously.

They might knock 50 bucks off this year, but seems unlikely you would get more than that.

And yes, if they had a Redskins only feature for 100 bucks, I would be on the phone right now changing my plan.

Do you need Direct TV to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket to-go?? I hate having to go to bars every Sunday or watch games on a terrible online feed.

EDIT: NVM. Looked at the website. You need Sunday Ticket to get Sunday Ticket to-go. So annoying. UGH.

Noticed they upped it to 6 payments. Now we won't be done paying until the end of the NFL season.

It's really startng to get too expensive. What they need to do it do a pay as you go thing. You only pay for (insert your fav team) that way we can still watch our fav team, and not have to mortgage the house in order to do so.

^^ I thought it was 6 payments last year.

Anyway, I agree with the few here that have said they need to offer a package for specific teams. But my question is, have any of you actually went to their site and made a request for them to offer such a package? I know if enough people did, they might find a way to make it happen.

Then again, the more I think about it, I might would still just go with the regular package. Last year was my first year playing fantasy football. And I absolutely fell in love with the channel you go to to plug in all your fantasy players. That's neat as hell to be watching any game, and still see the stats of your fantasy guys flash on the screen. I'm like a kid in a candy store on game days now. :)

On the face of it, I would guess they may lose money if they offered a package that only showed specific teams. I know many, including myself, that only get it because we want to watch our favorite team. And I'm sure we would all downgrade to that lesser option. What I don't know is how many people out there don't already get the Sunday Ticket, would be new customers and would that make up the difference?

On the face of it, I would guess they may lose money if they offered a package that only showed specific teams.

You make a valid point. However, NFL ticket is getting more and more expensive each year, offering more options that really aren't that needed. What is it, 8 boxes to watch 8 games at once. Really? Can anyone seriously watch that many games at once?

The simple reason they charge that amount is they can. They are the only provider who has a contract with the NFL and since there isn't any competition they make the price. Allow cable and Dish to compete and that price comes down and it isn't so outrageous.

You make a valid point. However, NFL ticket is getting more and more expensive each year, offering more options that really aren't that needed. What is it, 8 boxes to watch 8 games at once. Really? Can anyone seriously watch that many games at once?

When you're on that channal, you can highlight the game you're most interested in and go directly to that game without going from channal to channal.

My brother was grandfaterhed in so he doesn't have to have DirecTV at all. He can just order the NFL Sunday Ticket. They stopped doing that for new customers. Now you have to at least have a minimum package which costs $40 a month on top of NFL Sunday Ticket. Still worth it but annoying.

They did let me cancel my DirecTV for a few months and not pay anything from Feb to June. I don't know if I will get them to let me do that again next year but it saved a couple of hundred.

If you voice your displeasure respectfully, they will usually do something for you to keep you as a customer.

You can pay it all at once if you chose or you can probably still pay it in 4 months if you chose.

I am aware of that, thanks ;)

My issue with them has always been, why can't I pay it in 6 payments before the season starts so that the extra money isn't being taken around christmas time.

Like allow us to make small payments through out the year, kinda like extra payments over the amount so that by the time the season starts we are paid off.

Honestly, who has an extra $300 to pay all at once now days?

The sunday ticket to go is worth every penny. My buddy had this last year, definitely make swing shift more bearable am able to watch football on the computer at work. Thinking about switching from comcast to direct tv.

I don't know it still seems like a ripoff to me, for those that simply wish to watch the Redskins games.

Considering it costs zero to watch Redskins games in their own local market, and you know with today's satellite technology, they could easily just unlock the Maryland/DC fox & cbs affiliate, you'd think there would be a way to get around having to even have NFL Ticket in the first place.

I mean that is all NFL ticket really is anyway, you are paying up to $300 for Direct TV to merely give you access to the Redskins local affiliates. I know there is some bonus channels, and Redzone and all of that, but for those that simply want access to Redskins games alone, it shouldn't have to cost $300.

I am not sure why DIsh Network, can't just call it something else like "Superstation package" or something, and you pay like an extra $5 or so a month and you can pick what city's local affiliate you want to watch.

Maybe it is the NFL that is preventing this type of thing from happening, but it certainly isn't lack of technology to make it happen. It has to be the NFL that is stopping this, thus they should be blamed, because Dish already does this type of thing with Fox Sports net. When you get Dish you automatically get your local Fox Sports net affiliate, but you have the option to buy a sports package that unlocks every Fox Sports net affiliate around the country.

^^^ I think I pay 5 bucks extra per month on DirecTv to get all of the sports stations. Unfortunately some baseball and hockey games are blacked out because of their exclusive sports packages.

Yeah that does stink. I have Direct TV and I was under the same impression that you get those games I went to cut it off and the customer service rep explained it to me why they can't air those games.

Yeah that does stink. I have Direct TV and I was under the same impression that you get those games I went to cut it off and the customer service rep explained it to me why they can't air those games.

But it is worth it to me just to see the local Redskins and Caps news daily.

I get the interviews and pregame shows. Certain games I can watch the next day or later in the evening.

I don't know it still seems like a ripoff to me, for those that simply wish to watch the Redskins games.

Considering it costs zero to watch Redskins games in their own local market, and you know with today's satellite technology, they could easily just unlock the Maryland/DC fox & cbs affiliate, you'd think there would be a way to get around having to even have NFL Ticket in the first place.

I mean that is all NFL ticket really is anyway, you are paying up to $300 for Direct TV to merely give you access to the Redskins local affiliates. I know there is some bonus channels, and Redzone and all of that, but for those that simply want access to Redskins games alone, it shouldn't have to cost $300.

I am not sure why DIsh Network, can't just call it something else like "Superstation package" or something, and you pay like an extra $5 or so a month and you can pick what city's local affiliate you want to watch.

Maybe it is the NFL that is preventing this type of thing from happening, but it certainly isn't lack of technology to make it happen. It has to be the NFL that is stopping this, thus they should be blamed, because Dish already does this type of thing with Fox Sports net. When you get Dish you automatically get your local Fox Sports net affiliate, but you have the option to buy a sports package that unlocks every Fox Sports net affiliate around the country.

Directv has an exclusive contract with the NFL for the Sunday Ticket. That's why other companies haven't stepped in and done something similar.

This is my 1st year since 2003 without NFL ticket (Moved and can't get Direct TV now because of sight lines).

At first, I thought I only wanted to watch Redskins games. but once having it - I am going to HATE not having it!!! I would have payed the $300 this year, but yea - Them putting Redzone with the standard package, plus charging $50 for mobile is a big change.

Last year -NFL ticket on line was part of Redzone. I paid $240 for NFL ticket and called to complain about having to pay more for Redzone and they included it for free (since 2005 I had Redzone every year and never paid extra)

having said that - What I will miss the most is the actual Redzone channel. I am stuck with Comcast this year, but am paying the extra for the Comcast NFL channel Redzone. anyone know how that compares?

This is my 1st year since 2003 without NFL ticket (Moved and can't get Direct TV now because of sight lines).

At first, I thought I only wanted to watch Redskins games. but once having it - I am going to HATE not having it!!! I would have payed the $300 this year, but yea - Them putting Redzone with the standard package, plus charging $50 for mobile is a big change.

Last year -NFL ticket on line was part of Redzone. I paid $240 for NFL ticket and called to complain about having to pay more for Redzone and they included it for free (since 2005 I had Redzone every year and never paid extra)

having said that - What I will miss the most is the actual Redzone channel. I am stuck with Comcast this year, but am paying the extra for the Comcast NFL channel Redzone. anyone know how that compares?

Its $5 extra to get the Red Zone Channel on Comcast

Comcast Redzone is the same Redzone station as the one on DirecTV unless you're talking about that Superfan deal where you can watch 8 games one one screen at once.

Archived