Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Diamond Ring Question(s)...

Ellis

What will happen with Haynesworth this season?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Haynesworth this season?

• Traded
    • Cut
    • Plays with the Skins and contributes
    • Plays with the Skins but rides the pine
    • Quits or retires
    • Something else

That's right. I've found the one. :)

And she and I have been talking about marriage.

The last few weeks have had some heavy questions between the two of us and she doesn't want a traditional diamond ring. She doesn't like what has happened in Africa regarding the diamond industry. We talked about Canadian diamonds, etc, and she says she's adamantly against all mined diamonds.

So she says she's been interested in man-made diamonds. But they're not CZ's. Apparently, to have man-made, environmentally friendly stones is all the rage lately. This is a topic I know nothing about and there's no way I could talk any further with her about it without completely blowing the lid on my secret plan to get her one.

She has NO IDEA that I'm going to get a ring or anything. So this is difficult.

Does anyone know anything about these man-made diamonds? I've searched the cracks of the internet for options and want to see if any of you have info on this topic.

Wanna go green & Save money?!?

Recycle an engagment ring from a pawn shop. They generally have a nice selection at a fraction of the cost of new.

I know there's a stigma with pawn shops and some folks are bothered by giving/receiving a "used" ring but I think the savings far outweigh any negatives, besides noone needs to know where you got it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I know nothing about man made diamonds.

Why does it have to be a diamond? I got my now wife a ruby for her engagement ring.
Ellis, something else to check out would be White Saphires. Easily found on the net, but here is a link to get you going:

www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Blog/?p=1941

I don't know, I'd think you'd have to discuss this with the girl before you just went and got her these types of rings. Personally, I want a diamond. If my boyfriend came to me with a ruby, I'd be like, "Thanks for the gift, can't wait to see the engagement ring!" I'm sure there are many girls who are fine with having other stones, but make sure of it before you have a girl resenting you for not getting her a diamond. Sounds crappy, but it's true.

I agree with Pawn Shops or "Estate Sales". Really good quality diamonds at discounted rates because someone purchased them before you. I baught my now wife a 1 ct ring in an ugly platenum setting at an Estate Sale in Ladysmith. I saw the ring in the online photo's of the estate sale and went down and purchased it. It was a gamble, I didn't know anything about if it was real or not, just got it for 1100 bucks. I took it to a jeweler and got it appraised at 4,700 dollars and in excellent condition. Because the setting was square and it was a round cut diamond, I exchanged the setting. Turned out I got a diamond called an "Old Mine Cut Diamond" from the origanal Diamond mines in India that are no longer operational. They stopped mining them in the late 40's from what I was told. The stone rated very well. I don't recollect if it was S or SI (It was whichever one was better) and the clarity was like a g I think. I may be wrong, but it was a really exceptionally good quality diamond and the gemologist was really impressed with the price I got it at. With that bit of information, I went to anotherr Estate sale put on by the same company and found my wedding ring and her wedding ring. Hers was a .85 quarter carat Lionhead cut, hearts on fire diamond set in white gold. I got my three quarter carat five diamond inlay white and yellow gold ring as well. We haggled for a deal at 1800 for both and when we got both appraised, hers came out at just under 5k and mine came out to about 3500 bucks. I made out big time and have since got my wife a set of 1 carat earings from a pawn shop. Note: if you go the estate sale/pawn shop route for Jewelry, you MUST get it appraised immediately.

I agree with Pawn Shops or "Estate Sales". Really good quality diamonds at discounted rates because someone purchased them before you. I baught my now wife a 1 ct ring in an ugly platenum setting at an Estate Sale in Ladysmith. I saw the ring in the online photo's of the estate sale and went down and purchased it. It was a gamble, I didn't know anything about if it was real or not, just got it for 1100 bucks. I took it to a jeweler and got it appraised at 4,700 dollars and in excellent condition. Because the setting was square and it was a round cut diamond, I exchanged the setting. Turned out I got a diamond called an "Old Mine Cut Diamond" from the origanal Diamond mines in India that are no longer operational. They stopped mining them in the late 40's from what I was told. The stone rated very well. I don't recollect if it was S or SI (It was whichever one was better) and the clarity was like a g I think. I may be wrong, but it was a really exceptionally good quality diamond and the gemologist was really impressed with the price I got it at. With that bit of information, I went to anotherr Estate sale put on by the same company and found my wedding ring and her wedding ring. Hers was a .85 quarter carat Lionhead cut, hearts on fire diamond set in white gold. I got my three quarter carat five diamond inlay white and yellow gold ring as well. We haggled for a deal at 1800 for both and when we got both appraised, hers came out at just under 5k and mine came out to about 3500 bucks. I made out big time and have since got my wife a set of 1 carat earings from a pawn shop. Note: if you go the estate sale/pawn shop route for Jewelry, you MUST get it appraised immediately.

and what if you get totally rippd off? not like the pawn shop is gonna refund your money. too bad you can't get it appraised before purchasing

and what if you get totally rippd off? not like the pawn shop is gonna refund your money. too bad you can't get it appraised before purchasing

Actually, when i went into the pawn shop to buy Kelly some earings., I asked if I get this appraised and it turns out to be bunk or not appraise for what I paid and I still have the receipt will you refund the difference? They said that would be fine as long as I brought in the reciept for both the ring and the full appraisal. In an estate sale, you might be gambling, mine just paid off in a big big way.

Not true, As long as you are dealing with a reputable shop they will make it right if something goes wrong. Most shops are extremely worried about their reputation, especially if they are doing alot of high end jewelry business.

Just like anything else, do your homework and know what you are talking about when you walk in.

I don't know, I'd think you'd have to discuss this with the girl before you just went and got her these types of rings. Personally, I want a diamond. If my boyfriend came to me with a ruby, I'd be like, "Thanks for the gift, can't wait to see the engagement ring!" I'm sure there are many girls who are fine with having other stones, but make sure of it before you have a girl resenting you for not getting her a diamond. Sounds crappy, but it's true.

A good point. He should already know her thoughts/feelings on this. I knew when I bought the ruby engagement ring that she actually preferred a ruby to a diamond.

Don't be brainwashed by the diamond industry.

A good point. He should already know her thoughts/feelings on this. I knew when I bought the ruby engagement ring that she actually preferred a ruby to a diamond.

Don't be brainwashed by the diamond industry.

A friend of mine was loudly making the same point about diamond industry brainwashing, before discovering that many of the ruby (or whatever he was considering) engagement rings were more expensive than the diamond ones. Then he shut up, and bought the diamond :ols:

Congrats Ellis!!!

I agree with the idea of a used ring - in my case my wife already had an inherited antique engagement ring so I was out $0 - but of course I've had to make up the difference over time... :ols:

One other route for excellent used rings is a good old-fashioned jeweler. We bought our wedding rings at a local family-owned jeweler. They're great and very customer-oriented. At the time we were near broke, but they treated us just as well as all the old-money lock-jawed rich people in to pick up their $25,000 bracelets and such. Anyway, they carry quite a few antique rings and other antique items. You might want to google antique engagement rings and see if anything pops up in your area.

The nice thing about these antiques is that they generally have great craftsmanship and attention to detail, and tend to be a bit understated, which I think is cool.

Best of luck and again - congrats!!! :applause: :cheers: :applause:

Archived