Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Supporting Actor

Larry

I know that, meaning he was the supporting actor who made the movie entertaining. He still was the supporting actor, I didn't think you were talking about the award for best supporting actor. Christian Bale was cast as the lead role, but he was NOT the star of the movie. Do you see what I mean?

My point is that (to me) "supporting actor" does not mean "any person in the film except whoever was listed first in the credits".

Darth Vader was not a supporting character in Star Wars. Even though the credits were Hammil/Fisher/Ford, then "Star Wars", then David Prowse was listed along with C3PO and R2. Neither was DeNiro in Heat.

(And yeah, I realize that I'm arguing about a completely subjective, incapable of being defined, opinion. This is Tailgate, Buster.)

Morgan Freeman is the ultimate "Best Supporting Actor"

-Glory

-Shawshank Redeption

-Se7en

Heck, he was even good in Bruce Almighty as God.

Lucius Fox in the Christian Bale Batman movies.

"You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful people in the world, is a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person?"

John Cazale

The thread is over. I win.

(Seriously' date=' all the great supporting performances in movie history and someone named the Iron Man 2 cast??!?!?)[/quote']

Did you see the HBO Documentary on him, called "I Knew It Was you?"

For a man who only appeared in 5 films, two as the same character, he made all 5 of them better just by his being in them.

1. Val Kilmer in Tombstone. I mean c'mon.

2. Tom Arnold in True Lies. He really nailed the comedic sidekick, should be a text book written for his acting in that one.

3. Heath Ledger in Dark Knight

4. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder (absolutely slays me every time)

5. Bill Murray in Caddy Shack

6. Cuba Gooding Jr in Jerry Maguire

7. Steve Buscimi in Armageddon

8. Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs

9. Joe Pecsi in Goodfellas

10. Jack Nickleson in A Few Good Men

ETA: How could I forget, Harrison Ford in Star Wars

Did you see the HBO Documentary on him, called "I Knew It Was you?"

For a man who only appeared in 5 films, two as the same character, he made all 5 of them better just by his being in them.

I haven't seen that. I was glad it was made though.

His career is astounding. Great theater actor who came up with DeNiro. Five tremendous performances in movies that all got nominated for best picture. Apparently taught Meryl Streep how to act. And died.

No one played pathetic characters and filled them with more sympathy.

Here's one that never gets any mention in a film that never gets any mention.

Jerry Lewis in "The King of Comedy." (I would also include Sandra Bernhard in the same movie but she is pretty much always just making a cameo appearance as herself).

How about Danny Aiello in "The Purple Rose of Cairo?" I would mention him in "Do The Right Thing," but I'm 99 percent sure that he is the star of "Do The Right Things." Who is not the star but is tremendous is Giancarlo Esposito.

Everyone raves (rightfully) about Linda Fiorentino in The Last Seduction. But I think Bill Pullman makes that movie work.

Seriously...Steve Buscemi has been in 10' date='000 movies and you choose that one?

I really hate being Comic Book Guy here, because ultimately it's just taste. [b']But some of these choices reflect an intent to be stupid. And that I cannot stomach.[/b]

There are some things I can't stomach too, like people who constantly complain and cry a river in every thread over something as meaningless as the topic in question. People have different opinions dude, and while some of their choices may be a little over the top, theres no need to go overboard with the response. You don't agree with him, okay, the world won't end because of it. Who honestly gives a **** if he likes Steve Buscemi in Armageddon, if thats who he likes, that's who he likes. It doesn't make him right or wrong.

Ok. To be definitive. Here are the 10 greatest actors who were born to play supporting roles, should only be cast in supporting roles, and almost always delivered the goods in supporting roles.

1. John Cazale

2. JT Walsh

3. Claude Rains (I love me some Claude Rains)

4. Harry Dean Stanton

5. Edward G. Robinson

6. Dean Stockwell

7. Walter Huston

8. James Spader

9. Danny Devito

10. Ray Walston

Agreed. Another guy I never would have thought of, until you mentioned him, and then the light bulb went off.

Also, Fred Gwynn

Ray Walston's career is kind of amazing.

Fred Gwynne was great, but I don't know if he did enough movies to really qualify. He did a ton of tv and theater. But he really didn't start appearing in a lot of movies until later in life.

Fred Gwynne might be the best Stuttering John interview subject ever though.

Archived