Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Hall: 'It's a standoff' between Redskins, Haynesworth

HapHaszard

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/hall-its-a-standoff-between-re.html#more

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall is among few Redskins players who are close with Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. So it was not surprising that Hall and Haynesworth had a lengthy phone conversation Tuesday night shortly after Haynesworth revealed he would not attend the minicamp that began Wednesday and wants to be traded.

Many players harshly criticized Haynesworth, but Hall said the situation is more complicated than it seems. Haynesworth no longer trusts the Redskins because he contends they reneged on promises, and it's just a bad situation for everyone, Hall said.

"Obviously, he's made it known he doesn't want to be here and the ball's in their court," Hall said after rain-shortened practice at Redskins Park. "They can either go two ways. They can either force him to be here or they can try to help get him out of here. We look at it like he's going to do what he wants to do. It's a situation where he's made it known what he wants. They've made it known what they want and now it's a standoff. You know? It's a standoff, and he's got as much cash to stay at home as long as he wants.

"Obviously, being a player and a teammate, you want a guy like that on your team. I talked to him last night for about an hour and it's a tough situation. I understand a hundred percent where he's coming from. I don't think a lot of people understand the background behind it. I think maybe they understand a little bit after reading [about Haynesworth's stance], I think they kind of saw a little bit of it. But they might not really understand from the outside looking in."

Haynesworth thought he had found a perfect situation for himself in free agency, Hall said, but he was wrong.

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Hall is part of the problem too...He still doesnt get what it is to be a teammate by his comments

Well said. I just watched Hall's interview on redskins.com, and I found his comments kind of stupid. When asked how he feels about the players who are ticked of at AH, he said "these are the same players that will be smiling in AH's face when he reports." What a dumb thing to say about your teamates. especially when the people who have expressed their unhappiness include London Fletcher and Philip Daniels.

Hall is part of the problem too...He still doesnt get what it is to be a teammate by his comments

No. Hall is kinda caught in a tough spot as he & Al are friends. It puts him in an uncomfortable position of trying to defend both, the team & his friend. It's just to bad his friend is a liar. Hopefully Hall will see what type of person his friend is & realize that maybe he should cut ties with him.

It's a standoff, and he's got as much cash to stay at home as long as he wants.

I wouldn't be spending all that money so fast AH.... Snyder is going to seek some/most of it back. ...The first thing the police do in a standoff is cut the power and if money is power in AH's case the writing is on the wall as to Danny's next move. ...hmmmmm.

And if Haynesworth hadn't come to Hall's rescue last year in ATL then Hall would be echoing Fletch's statements....IMO.

I really think the players should just leave this issue alone and let the FO sort it out. Nothing good will come of this if they keep talking about it. All it'll do is add fuel to the fire IMO.

Amen brother I feel the same exact way. Every player, every single one of them, regardless of how they personally feel about this situation should tighten there lips and say nothing. There are no honest reasons for players to say either side of the argument at this point. It will cause nothing but desention.

No. Hall is kinda caught in a tough spot as he & Al are friends. It puts him in an uncomfortable position of trying to defend both, the team & his friend. It's just to bad his friend is a liar. Hopefully Hall will see what type of person his friend is & realize that maybe he should cut ties with him.
Aye, This is more me thinking Hall's being loyal and I like that he's just got misplaced loyalties right now.

I agree 100%

Well said. I just watched Hall's interview on redskins.com, and I found his comments kind of stupid. When asked how he feels about the players who are ticked of at AH, he said "these are the same players that will be smiling in AH's face when he reports." What a dumb thing to say about your teamates. especially when the people who have expressed their unhappiness include London Fletcher and Philip Daniels.

While what you say is true, the truth is everyone would accept him and smile to his face. (At least in my opinion) They may not be happy, but any time you have a whole family back and everyone is willing to work everyone is going to be smiling, even if they hold a grudge.

Tough spot? Sure. Easy choice? Yes. Go with your team. Hell, if Haynesworth can lie to the public, then so can Hall.

You can keep friends who do stupid things, but don't **** over your team. That's just stupid. Hall is definitely on the wrong side of this.

Haynesworth must know he's coming off looking like a greedy, selfish, jerk to everyone in the league and every NFL fan everywhere. What is he thinking and how can his agent think this could be a good move for his career?

You would have a point if he cared about his career.... Al doesn't care about his reputation or legacy... he cares about only one thing and he has it... (well I guess two things.. money AND food)..... He will only begin to get nervous if it appears that the Skins might be able to get large portions of that money back... Does he care about his career and actually getting traded to play in a 4-3 again. LOL.

It will be fitting if in 20 years he is alone and broke. Karma buddy.

The situation here seems obvious to me. He was very vocal when seeking a new home about what he wanted. He wanted 100million and he wanted a defensive style that he felt suited his abilities. The skins gave him the money and promised him the rest. Tampa was right there with us on the money, it was the rest at made him come here.

So he shows up and after being told one thing realizes our defensive coordinator hates attacking style defenses and instead insists that everyone up front play run first. Water under the bridge (sort of). Then we get a new crew of coaches and they implement the 3-4, a defense he specifically stated he wanted no part of when leaving the titans. Straw met over loaded camel and now he wants out.

This seems like a predictable situation to any competent management team. It looks to me like Snyder and Cerrato over sold him to get him here and that blunder created this mess. I think Bruce Allen realized this a long time ago and has been wanting to trade him forever but didn't get the authorization from Snyder because Big Al wants to keep the money. This makes perfect sense of course and I don't blame Snyder one bit for that part of it.

They can "punish" Albert all season and he's still sitting on 33 million (12 million last season 21 million in april). I'm wondering what the team is going to try to use as leverage to solve this. It's pretty clear the "working with my own trainers" was a smoke screen from both sides, both knowing he wanted a trade but wanting to keep the media in the dark while the battled behind the scenes. It explains why the coaches didn't want to talk about him even in the slightest.

What remains to be seen is how Bruce is going to get fat boy to surrender some coin. If he does he'll be traded. If he doesn't they'll try to punish him and go after the money which reporters and the players association don't think they can get.

One thing is certain, Bruce Allen has his hands full with a mess he didn't create. I hope the guy can pull this off because this has distraction written all over it.

To be honest, I kind feel badly for Hall. I'd hate to be in that situation, where my good friend was dicking over a team for his/her own, selfish reasons. I'd hate to have to attempt to appease both sides.

Hopefully Hall will see the light.

The situation here seems obvious to me. He was very vocal when seeking a new home about what he wanted. He wanted 100million and he wanted a defensive style that he felt suited his abilities. The skins gave him the money and promised him the rest. Tampa was right there with us on the money, it was the rest at made him come here.

So he shows up and after being told one thing realizes our defensive coordinator hates attacking style defenses and instead insists that everyone up front play run first. Water under the bridge (sort of). Then we get a new crew of coaches and they implement the 3-4, a defense he specifically stated he wanted no part of when leaving the titans. Straw met over loaded camel and now he wants out.

This seems like a predictable situation to any competent management team. It looks to me like Snyder and Cerrato over sold him to get him here and that blunder created this mess. I think Bruce Allen realized this a long time ago and has been wanting to trade him forever but didn't get the authorization from Snyder because Big Al wants to keep the money. This makes perfect sense of course and I don't blame Snyder one bit for that part of it.

They can "punish" Albert all season and he's still sitting on 33 million (12 million last season 21 million in april). I'm wondering what the team is going to try to use as leverage to solve this. It's pretty clear the "working with my own trainers" was a smoke screen from both sides, both knowing he wanted a trade but wanting to keep the media in the dark while the battled behind the scenes. It explains why the coaches didn't want to talk about him even in the slightest.

What remains to be seen is how Bruce is going to get fat boy to surrender some coin. If he does he'll be traded. If he doesn't they'll try to punish him and go after the money which reporters and the players association don't think they can get.

One thing is certain, Bruce Allen has his hands full with a mess he didn't create. I hope the guy can pull this off because this has distraction written all over it.

Shanahan said himself they understood and gave him a month to find a new team. They said if you stay and take the money, we expect you to play for us and be the best whatever on the field. It was a standing agreement that for 21 MILLION dollars, he would play the 3-4.

He took that money.

Now he wants to keep that money and not play the 3-4?

I think if I did something like that I would end up in prison for fraud/grand theft, would I not?

This man is a greedy ****ing liar.

My true feelings are that AH has no desire to play ANYWHERE now that he got paid. It was pretty evident last year when he was faking injuries during games, but this pretty much confirms it in my mind and the scheme is just a convenient excuse.

This guy will just be a bad memory soon enough and he will regret these silly moves way in the future when he looks back at his "career".

I understand what you are saying TK. But, wouldn't you agree that Hall has put himself in the uncomfortable position by speaking to the media about the situation in the first place? I mean if he doesn't want to defend both or choose sides, then IMO the solution for Hall is simple...just STFU.

I disagree. Hall is not in a tough spot. Instead of disrespecting his teammates and the team that is overpaying him, he should just "NO COMMENT" until the situation is resolved. There is no reason why he should be running his mouth over a situation that does not involve him. Then again, it's D. Hall and he can't keep his mouth shut. He's definitely a player I despise on this team.

My true feelings are that AH has no desire to play ANYWHERE now that he got paid. It was pretty evident last year when he was faking injuries during games, but this pretty much confirms it in my mind and the scheme is just a convenient excuse.

This guy will just be a bad memory soon enough and he will regret these silly moves way in the future when he looks back at his "career".

we have a winner. what are teams going to expect of a guy who has already simply not shown up for work? what is going to say any differently to the next team that gets him to convince them that he will be the best on the field?

Archived