Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins Receivers Have Been Unimpressive

heliKCx17

So if he was a big reason why the major retooling??

HOF Coach and QB should be able to win with the same personnel that JC had, right??

Are you still seriously arguing that Campbell was not a huge part of our offensive problems? Pathetic.

I think most of you are reading too much into what's gone on during mini-camps. MK & DT both have the talent to be very good, and I think Santana will have a bounce-back season. Plus as has been mentioned, Shanny & Kyle's offense will revolve around Cooley & Sleepy more than the WR's anyway. If WR is our biggest perceived weakness at this point, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

I think most of you are reading too much into what's gone on during mini-camps. MK & DT both have the talent to be very good, and I think Santana will have a bounce-back season. Plus as has been mentioned, Shanny & Kyle's offense will revolve around Cooley & Sleepy more than the WR's anyway. If WR is our biggest perceived weakness at this point, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.[/quote.

I think you are overstating the role of the TE a bit above and understimating the importance of production from the receiver position in Shanny offense. I can't think of any NFL passing offense which revolves around the TE position and certainly not one of Shannys.

I think Cooley and to a lesser extent Davis will be a big part of what we do and one or both of them will see time in the slot as well as at TE. However if we are going to be the offense we need to be IMO we need Moss to be an 80+ catch 1,000 yard guy and one of Kelly or Thomas to be a 50-60 catch 800 yard guy.

Receiver is still a worry for me.

I am going to subscribed to this thread. So after like week 8 when our receivers are lighting stuff up, I can bump this and laugh.......

I've never played with that option..what does it do? Does it update you any time someone posts in the thread, or does it just keep a list of threads that you want to look at later?

Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly each know what they have to do this coming season. Both of the have the potential to become playmakers, but in case they lag behind in overall production, there's Wade and Galloway.

Where is the evidence of this potential? One decent game each over the course of 32 games?

Evidence of blind hope?

:applause:BOOM! Mighty fine word usage right there! (Although I hope Candle proves you wrong.)

But back to the topic at hand...

I don't think people should be freaking out about this "Problem" at WR right now... We are talking about the first voluntary workouts of the offseason with a new QB, new head coach/offensive coordinator, and a new scheme.

From my understanding, DT/MK/Moss haven't even gotten that many reps with the first team and at this time, the coaches are more focused on evaluating the guys with an outside shot of making the squad.

We all watched DT progress throughout last season and saw flashes of what MK was capable of in an elementary school offense. Now, picture them in a proven scheme with a proven QB and you really have no reason to worry.

While DeSean/Royal might have a SLIGHT step on Santana, (and I really mean SLIGHT) we still have one of the quickest game-changing WRs in the league and Moss will have no problem blowing by safeties as he does every year.... The difference is, now we have a guy who can hit him in stride.

I'm not worried. Whoever said they were now more concerned about our WRs corps than our O-Line is just getting caught up with recent media bull****. Our line still sucks, our receiving unit will be just fine.

Your faith in Santana is admirable... but foolish.

I still think everyone's over-reacting over this speculative article. Just because DT and MK don't get mentioned in these tweets we see very often, doesn't mean they're garbage.

But to bring some hope to those who think our young WR's are busts, here are some observations from the last mini-camp:

11:00—Devin Thomas really looks the part of an NFL receiver when the pads are off and he’s not working against a defender. He’s very smooth and he catches the ball effortlessly. It’s sometimes a different story in pads and against defenders, but he at least has one part of it down. Yesterday, when one reporter referred to Thomas and Malcolm Kelly as “the young receivers”, Mike Shanahan corrected her and said that they are “old veterans”. It’s clearly a make or break year for the pair of 2008 second-round picks.

11:50—Another inconsistent day for Colt Brennan. First he completed a nice deep sideline pass to Thomas, who made a bobbling catch. But a little later on, he just couldn’t get the ball out of his hand on consecutive passes, drawing the ire of the coaches.

Source: http://www.csnwashington.com/06/17/10/Tandler-Redskins-Minicamp-Timeline-61710/landing_redskins.html?blockID=255682&feedID=272

◦Brennan to Thomas – Colt Brennan showed some nifty footwork and a little bit of arm as he play actioned on a bootleg to his own right, stopped, and threw a forty-yard strike downfield to the streaking Devin Thomas for the touchdown.

And some other young pass-cathers:

◦McNabb to Davis – Donovan McNabb hit Fred Davis on a nice seam route for a touchdown. McNabb placed the ball over Davis’ should and hit him in full stride for the score.
◦McNabb to Davis, Part 2 – Same pattern, same result. Davis sure can run after he catches the ball. By far the fastest tight end on the roster.
◦Grossman to Armstrong – Grossman made another impressive throw Thursday, hitting receiver Anthony Armstrong in stride on a deep sideline route. Armstrong had gotten behind coverage to make the grab over 40 yards downfield.

Source: http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3594

While DeSean/Royal might have a SLIGHT step on Santana, (and I really mean SLIGHT) we still have one of the quickest game-changing WRs in the league and Moss will have no problem blowing by safeties as he does every year.... The difference is, now we have a guy who can hit him in stride.

and with the hgh he's been using, he should really be able to burn cornerbacks with no problem lol

Sorry, but you effed up.

Here is your quote:

Now you're claiming that you never said the word "coach" in your post so obviously you didn't mean the coaches when you said you're glad the article is out now so that the perceived problem can be fixed by "us".

Well, if you did NOT mean the coaches when you said "us", who the hell did you mean? lol...The fans? :ols:...How exactly is this article going to help "us" fix things in the receiving unit? That's one thing your weak-ass explanation failed to actually explain.

No, actually here is my quote.. In its entirity

Excellent Excellent point...

And when light is shed on this fact people want to forget all the heat they threw at JC. Campbell wasn't the best QB but he was certainly not alone in making our offense inept.

I said a month ago that our receivers were not impressing the new coaching staff. I'm glad this article is out so it exposes our weakness before its to late for us to fix it.

I'm going to try and explain this real nice and slow for you to comprehend ok.. Now the bold words in yellow are refering to the fans. Meaning the subject of the post is about the fans. The only thing I mentioned about the coaches was this " I said a month ago that our receivers were not impressing the new coaching staff" This means that the coaching staff ALREADY KNEW about MK and DT being average before this article even came out. So how on earth could I possibly be suggesting that this article sheds light to our coaches to fix the problem?? It sheds light to us fans to fix the problem of assuming that everything is the Quarterback's fault!

If you simply post a sentence instead of the entire comment, then bash the intent of the person, you are no better than the media.

:point2sky

Ryan O'Halloran with CSN WASHINGTON was just on Sirius NFL Radio (Sat) and said from what he has heard and observed our starting WR's will LIKELY be

1. Moss

2. Thomas

3. Wade

4. Galloway

5. Austin (Rookie UCLA)

He said he wouldn't be surprised if MK does not make the team????? He went on to say that Shanny loves T. Austin and will be given the opportunity to be the 5th WR and primary kick returner. I don't know much about O'Halloran but he was on top of the questions asked this morning....hmmmm

At this point, for either receiver to really have a breakout year and put up 1000 yards would be bucking the trend.

Not saying it would never happen. But I am saying that it is highly improbable. The only thing still giving me hope is that they have an actual NFL QB throwing them the ball for a change.

And as much as I like Malcolm Kelly (he's one of my favorite Redskins), it really wouldn't be too much of a shocker to me if he didn't make the Team. He has not shown any breakaway speed. Which is okay if you have shiftiness and maneuverability. He hasn't shown that either. But both of those are even okay if you can show a nack for getting open. He hasn't shown that. And even still, he could salvage everything if he were able to show that he can catch jump balls and out-wrestle defenders. He hasn't shown that either. Not looking good for him, really.

At this point, for either receiver to really have a breakout year and put up 1000 yards would be bucking the trend.

Not saying it would never happen. But I am saying that it is highly improbable. The only thing still giving me hope is that they have an actual NFL QB throwing them the ball for a change.

And as much as I like Malcolm Kelly (he's one of my favorite Redskins), it really wouldn't be too much of a shocker to me if he didn't make the Team. He has not shown any breakaway speed. Which is okay if you have shiftiness and maneuverability. He hasn't shown that either. But both of those are even okay if you can show a nack for getting open. He hasn't shown that. And even still, he could salvage everything if he were able to show that he can catch jump balls and out-wrestle defenders. He hasn't shown that either. Not looking good for him, really.

Somewhere off in the distance, MK's knees can be heard shattering into thousands of pieces.... right now.

So Devin Thomas has been unimpressive according to PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/19/santana-moss-recovers-as-he-waits-for-hgh-fallout/

Moss, meanwhile, is recovering well from arthroscopic surgery in his knee. He practiced fully this week and was called the most impressive receiver at minicamp by offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. (Devin Thomas has reportedly underwhelmed.)

So Devin Thomas has been unimpressive according to PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/19/santana-moss-recovers-as-he-waits-for-hgh-fallout/

Moss, meanwhile, is recovering well from arthroscopic surgery in his knee. He practiced fully this week and was called the most impressive receiver at minicamp by offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. (Devin Thomas has reportedly underwhelmed.)

Everything else I've seen has said that DT has been impressing, at least in shorts.

Everything else I've seen has said that DT has been impressing, at least in shorts.

I know from what I've read I thought DT was doing good and he probably is you know how accurate PFT is!

But if our WR's are struggling I wouldn't mind sending Fat Al to the Saints for Lance Moore and a draft pick.

I know from what I've read I thought DT was doing good and he probably is you know how accurate PFT is!

But if our WR's are struggling I wouldn't mind sending Fat Al to the Saints for Lance Moore and a draft pick.

That's true. Until we have a quote from one of the Shanahan's sounding disappointed, I won't believe anything like this, not when the observing members of the media mostly say that he is looking legit. All we have so far is Shanahan saying that they are doing well with the system, and sounding much more excited about DT than MK in a quote from about a month ago. That's it.

And on that trade, I'd take that. Since I have this sinking feeling we'll see no better than a 4th rounder, I'd love to get a quality starter at least in return as well.

This above along with Ronald McDonald as coach..........DT will break out this year

Yes, I think he will as well. And now, with a legitimate OL for McNabb to play behind, we can expect those deep passes to develop much more frequently.

Will DT show why he was drafted ahead of D-Jack? I sure hope so.

Something else no one discusses is that we drafted Austin, the KR/PR(?)/WR. AFTER Shanahan had said DT would be our primary kick returner.

To me, it looks like Shanahan saw something he liked in DT and decided to make him an integral part of the offense, and drafted a returner so that DT didn't have to do it.

Archived