Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins Receivers Have Been Unimpressive

heliKCx17

Lets see how they do during preseason before we judge...

I mean there has been players who have been phenomenal during training camp/ota/practice and does show ANY of it on the field...

I am going to take a wait and see before I judge anything.

Can't.

McNabb will barely play pre-season. he's so injury prone... no way they put him out there much.

so... you won't see nothing.. you'll see Grossman and Brennan throwing to them... and then the excuse will be.... it's Grossman and Brennan throwing to them.

if they aren't seeing anything out of them now... When McNabb is learning the system and out there practicing with them...

you aren't going to.

Want to add oen more thing..

If 1 of our 2 young guys will excel with McNabb it will be Kelly.

Remember that D. Thomas was raw.. and kind of wasted 2 years of potential learning under Jim Z and Campbell.

Kelly can run routes and it was a highlight of his. He just has health issues.

McNabb throws timing patterns and can find the open guy or put it up there for your guy to get it. Both those things compliment Kelly.. not Thomas.

I don't see Thomas being much of a factor... IF AT ALL this year.

If Kelly can stay healthy... he could move up the depth chart.

Hmmm, I'm going to withhold judgment until I see some preseason games. We have to realize that DT is probably not 100% right now due to his injuries. Also, he looked like he was coming on in the latter half of 2009, and if he can look promising with JC, he can definitely do well with McNabb.

MK on the other hand, I'm not so high on. I think everyone drools at his polished talent, but he's snake-bitten in terms of injuries. He'll never got on the field consistently enough to understand what he needs to work on. It's always one step forward, one step backward with him.

McNabb throws timing patterns and can find the open guy or put it up there for your guy to get it. Both those things compliment Kelly.. not Thomas.

I disagree. I think McNabb's biggest strength is his deep ball, and we've all heard how fast DT is. I think Santana Moss said during preseason last year that DT was faster than D-Jax in straight-up speed. If DT can get behind the defense, McNabb will find him easily.

On the other hand, MK's height might help him reel in some of those "McNabb specials," but McNabb's never been a highly accurate QB, so that is going to hurt MK.

I feel the opposite, actually. Thomas showed more than Kelly has ever shown so if anyone is poised to do something good I'd lean towards DT.

:whoknows:

Kelly just looks slow and weak to me. A guy with that size should be able to high point the ball almost anywhere on the field yet he was on the bench for red-zone situations. Seems odd. At least DT found the end zone a few times last year.

This is very, very disappointing to me, .

honeslty dude ... relax.

WHO IN THE HELL ARE THESE TEAM SOURCES?

I mean, how can you even sweat this ...now if it were the old man or the kid saying this , sure then you panic.

I feel the opposite, actually. Thomas showed more than Kelly has ever shown so if anyone is poised to do something good I'd lean towards DT.

Kelly just looks slow and weak to me. A guy with that size should be able to high point the ball almost anywhere on the field yet he was on the bench for red-zone situations. Seems odd. At least DT found the end zone a few times last year.

Last year, it was pretty obvious that the time Kelly missed kept him back a bit. I saw a lot of improvement in his route running late in the season over when he was starting early on, where he wasn't helping the QB out much at all.

As for the lack of red zone usage, I think we all had a lot of questions about the plays run in the red zone last year. We certainly didn't see many fades run, except to receivers too short to take advantage of such plays. :doh:

honeslty dude ... relax.

WHO IN THE HELL ARE THESE TEAM SOURCES?

I mean, how can you even sweat this ...now if it were the old man or the kid saying this , sure then you panic.

What do you mean? This is a story from J. Reid it has to be true.....

.....I hope you know I,m joking.....

This is why more and more we need to see more 2 TE sets this year and alot less Mike Sellers in the game. Pretty much everyone knows if he is in the game, it is a run.

Exactly. We need to replace Mike Sellers with Dennis Morris, a blocking machine who plays with a relentless aggression. He's my favorite pick of our draft.

Personally, I think the Washington Post doesn't really know unless this is information provided by a source inside the organization.

Wow, look at so many people up in a tizzy.

The "article" is not titled that. "receivers have been unimpressive" isn't even in the article AT ALL.

Paraphrasing is fine, but making it a title of an "article" is a reach.

There is ZERO chance this WR core is worse than what McNabb had to work with during most of his years in Philly. New system, BRAND new WR coach, give it a little time.

I for one am not going to freak out because of mini camp assessments. You can get by with a bunch of David Pattens if you wanted to. These guys have the talent, the coaches will get it out of them.

If anything this is further evidence that Stan Hixon was a joke.

We haven't even hit training camp yet, I think our receivers will be fine.

In another article, coach Shanahan was pleased with the production and big play of the receivers.

There is progress, though. Shanahan was encouraged by how the offense performed in the 2-minute drill during the latter part of Thursday’s OTA.

It was pretty encouraging to see the quarterback and a couple of receivers come up with some big plays," Shanahan said. "We actually made some big plays as well in the 2-point situations.”

Couldn't agree more!

To many base judgement on measurable [see Jason Campbell] rather than actual football ability, every time I have seen DT he's looked like a player who is ready to explode, but doesn't have a QB to ignite that explosion, I expect big things from him this season.

As for condemning our WR's during the start of voluntary mini camps? Let's try not to condemn them to the gallows until pre season kicks in.:stop:

Thomas showed more than Kelly has ever shown so if anyone is poised to do something good I'd lean towards DT.........A guy with that size should be able to high point the ball almost anywhere on the field yet he was on the bench for red-zone situations. Seems odd. At least DT found the end zone a few times last year.

I think both flashed ability last year, but they're very different receivers.

Kelly has great hands i think the consensus on the team is that Kelly has the best hands, i even think Moss has said this.

*Next time you have a chance watch how Malcolm catches the ball*

Devin Thomas has world class speed and is strong runner after the catch.

Their stats are were nearly identical so how can one show more then the other?

Malcolm Kelly 38 targets 25 catches 65.8 catch % 0 drops-347 yards-13.9-long 84

Devin Thomas 41 targets 25 catches 61.0 catch % 4 drops-325 yards-13.0-long 40-TDs-3-

Malcolm Kelly 38 targets 25 catches 65.8 catch % 0 drops-347 yards-13.9-long 84

Devin Thomas 41 targets 25 catches 61.0 catch % 4 drops-325 yards-13.0-long 40-TDs-3-

Kelly had more yards than Thomas last year? That's really eye-opening. I honestly thought Thomas was much more "apparent" on the field, but clearly Kelly is coming along well, too.

Although, to be fair, Kelly had about 1/4 of his yardage on one catch in the last game of the season.

Kelly has great hands as does Cooley.

Kelly had more yards than Thomas last year? That's really eye-opening. I honestly thought Thomas was much more "apparent" on the field, but clearly Kelly is coming along well, too.

Although, to be fair, Kelly had about 1/4 of his yardage on one catch in the last game of the season.

I think you need to separate out the tight ends, Cooley and Davis, and consider the wide receivers on their own merits.

Yes, Davis can be split wide on certain occasions to act as a #3 receiver, but the fact remains that the Redskins it appears are going to have to make a trade for a legitimate wide receiver.

The excuses and 'transitions' surrounding Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas never seem to end, any more than they did for their GM, Vinny Cerrato.

Each year is supposed to be THE year when we see rapid improvement.

Entering Year 3, we are now hearing that once again these guys are not impressing anyone at Redskins Park.

Again, we need a taller, veteran receiver to give McNabb and Kyle Shanahan greater flexibility.

I said last year that I thought the recievers were to translucent. If they were running a slant, it looked like a slant from ther begining of the route. They just seem to telegraph what route their going to run. IMO

Excellent Excellent point...

And when light is shed on this fact people want to forget all the heat they threw at JC. Campbell wasn't the best QB but he was certainly not alone in making our offense inept.

I said a month ago that our receivers were not impressing the new coaching staff. I'm glad this article is out so it exposes our weakness before its to late for us to fix it.

Archived