Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins Receivers Have Been Unimpressive

heliKCx17

I'm glad this article is out so it exposes our weakness before its to late for us to fix it.

:no:

Are you serious? I'm pretty sure our coaches don't need this article to "expose" our weakness, or articles like it, to know what to "fix". I highly doubt that any of them even read most of this stuff.

And if they do, you can be sure that they don't have a :idea: moment when they read it, like "Oh ****! A reporter says we have a problem, I didn't see that before, better fix it!" :doh:

Maybe you haven't figured it out, but stuff like this isn't written for coaches. :ols: Its all speculation :blahblah: from sports writers who aren't even qualified to say half of what they are saying.

If an article like this isn't based off of coaches' and players' direct quotes, in context, then it means nothing. It may as well have been written by a fan like you or I who has access to OTA's.

I really do think this is gonna happen..

lol, him getting out of prison, or us obtaining his services when he does?

What would the harm in the acquisition be? Big, Talented reciever, proven, and he would be inexpensive more then likely. If not Plex, if not T.O., then who? Crayton? We need a presence at WR, and the best we have is an undersized Moss. What WR's are available still? It has to be the bottom of the slag heap at this point.

For example, here is an actual quote. From an actual player. Not "unnamed sources" from a guy who gets paid to write about things that will get hits on his website.

Rex Grossman on MK and DT:

I asked him for his impressions of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, and he noted that they're "extremely talented physically," and that "once they pick up and the offense and just react and don't think about what they're doing, they're gonna be tough."

Link: http://blog.redskins.com/2010/06/11/rex-grossman-is-new-here-but-not-new-to-this-system/#continued

I don't think this is a big surprise. MK and DT struggled to learn the routes their rookie year and showed slight improvement in 2009. Now, a whole new offense comes in. It's like they are rookies again.

I'm hoping this doesn't point to TO but Shanny may pull the trigger if mini camp doesn't go well. We'll be one dimensional again.

You guy really think TO has something left? I don't. He never had great hands, he's slower and has trouble getting off the line.(not discrediting his work ethic, great position and run after the catch in the past) We're better off employing a lot of Cooley and Fred Davis.

http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2010/05/football-outsiders-on-redskins.html#more

This is a section of the article I thought was a fair opinion.

So the catch rate is the key knock against him here, but my more subjective opinion is that Thomas improved dramatically throughout the season. It wouldn't surprise me if the rate was pulled down by exceptionally low levels in the first part of '09 when frankly it looked like he couldn't do much of anything right. His progression went something like:

- Fairly useless

- Athletic and exciting (and Jason Campbell's preferred safety valve during broken plays) but still not reliable enough to be counted upon

- Gameplans built around getting the ball in his hands

(And by the way his advancement was also illustrated by his run blocking, which went from non-existent to surprisingly decent over the course of the year.)

If you create him in Madden, maybe.

I'm real sure Burress is going to be in NFL condition once he leaves prison. I mean, Vick was back in no time.

I think he was. He plays a relatively easy position and would demand instant respect like Vick did.

The excuses and 'transitions' surrounding Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas never seem to end, any more than they did for their GM, Vinny Cerrato.

Each year is supposed to be THE year when we see rapid improvement.

Entering Year 3, we are now hearing that once again these guys are not impressing anyone at Redskins Park.

Again, we need a taller, veteran receiver to give McNabb and Kyle Shanahan greater flexibility.

I honestly haven't seen a ton of excuses given on behalf of either DT or MK. It's a pretty well-established rule of thumb that most receivers tend to take a year or two to really hit their stride, so they have been granted some level of amnesty up to this point. That's not at all unreasonable and it's a point that most of ES has been very consistent about since they were drafted.

That grace period is definitely over, though, and we'll see what Shanahan really thinks of them soon enough.

I think bringing in TO would be the perfect move right now. Let him get his feet wet in the camp coming up and start making our wr crew instantly credbible again. We clearly need help right now.

This post is everything that's wrong with our fanbase and exactly why we've failed so hard for the past decade.

Nothing has happened yet. Not anything. Not a mandatory camp. Workouts. Barely a couple of 11 on 11s. And yet we need to call in Owens because, A) He's a god and B) We CLEARLY need help. I mean, how stupid does that sound? We haven't done ANYTHING. They're learning the playbook. If they looked like this in the season, then we'd be ****ed. And if Taylor Jacobs looked like he did in practice during the season, then he'd be Hall of Fame.

I mean, I've heard of the Chicken Littles, but THIS early? You're all out of your mind.

Oh, and haven't you heard? The season's over, anyway. Dallas is winning the Super Bowl because they look good in practice and their coach lost 30 pounds.

Woe is me!!!!!

People tote around the 3 year rule for wide receivers like it is a Commandment from God :)

The truth is that both Thomas and Kelly didn't merely look like rookies in 2008, they looked as if there were questions about whether they belonged in the NFL over the long-term.

That is pretty damning for TWO #2 picks.

Last year with a chance to realize how to act like 'professionals' and work out in the offseason with the coaches, these guys were supposed to come in and play off Santana Moss and provide more impetus for the offense.

Their impact outside of Thomas' game against New Orleans was tepid at best.

So, this is their third season, and for those that closely follow those anniversary dates, we should now be ready to see what they can do, correct? :D

I just want to know so that when we do/don't see anything from them we won't see any more excuses or hear any more 'wait until next years'.

It's NOW or never baby :cheers:

I think he was. He plays a relatively easy position and would demand instant respect like Vick did.

Wait, what?

What respect did Vick demand last year? He completed 6 out of 13 passes for 86 yards and 1 TD, and ran for 95 yards and 2 TDs out of the Wildcat.

So he was barely utilized and most of his success came off of specially designed plays.

Plaxico will be eligible for release by early 2011, and if he gets back in the league by the 2011 season, he'll be 34 years old. A 34 year old WR who spent the last 2 years in jail?

It's a pretty sure bet that we'll pass on that.

SWFL, I really don't think the Redskins would have brought 38 year old Galloway and 33 year old Furrey into the mix if Thomas and Kelly looked that great.

I realize there are 5 or 6 wide receiver slots to fill but the last two spots are usually reserved for rookies or guys that play special teams.

Galloway and Furrey aren't special teamers so that means to me that they are being brought in to compete as PASS CATCHERS and that means that they are competing directly with Thomas and Kelly.

Moss is the only given at WR and he is 31 years old with a potential suspension hanging over his head.

Again, I would expect a trade or the signing of a name veteran (from training camp releases around the NFL in July/August) if the situation doesn't improve.

SWFL, I really don't think the Redskins would have brought 38 year old Galloway and 33 year old Furrey into the mix if Thomas and Kelly looked that great.

I realize there are 5 or 6 wide receiver slots to fill but the last two spots are usually reserved for rookies or guys that play special teams.

Galloway and Furrey aren't special teamers so that means to me that they are being brought in to compete as PASS CATCHERS and that means that they are competing directly with Thomas and Kelly.

Moss is the only given at WR and he is 31 years old with a potential suspension hanging over his head.

Again, I would expect a trade or the signing of a name veteran (from training camp releases around the NFL in July/August) if the situation doesn't improve.

Dude, we have 80 spots open, including special teams. You bring in a ton of receivers. That's what every team does.

And there is no situation upon which to improve. It's OTAs. They're in the classroom and on the field. The offense isn't installed. Nobody is familiar with it whatsoever. We also have a great defense.

I hope that you have a PPO, because you're gonna need a cardiologist wherever you go if you keep this up. ;)

People tote around the 3 year rule for wide receivers like it is a Commandment from God :)

The truth is that both Thomas and Kelly didn't merely look like rookies in 2008, they looked as if there were questions about whether they belonged in the NFL over the long-term.

That is pretty damning for TWO #2 picks.

Devin Thomas was ALWAYS seen as a player to invest time in to develop him...he was never seen as a receiver who would have an immediate impact. Well, except for a certain percentage of extremely impatient Skins fans lol...

Many of the scouting reports on Thomas read like this one:

Devin Thomas is still viewed as somewhat of a raw prospect…he needs refinement in several areas of his game to become NFL ready…it would be easy to see Devin Thomas’s development follow similar paths of last year’s draft selections Robert Meacham and Dwayne Jarrett, so you may get little to no productivity out of him in (2008)…very much a ‘developmental’ prospect…

Overall: Thomas emerged in 2008, with almost 80 catches. The former JuCo transfer had not been on the map prior to the season, but his excellent frame and ball skills bode well for his NFL development. Thomas may not have a big impact in 2008, but his long term potential is high.

His talent was undeniable but his fundamentals needed coaching up and his transition to the NFL level was always seen as a multi-season effort. Around here, though, we act as if none of that was known or said back before the draft. And we act like those who say it now are just making excuses.

As for Kelly, he spent 95% of his rookie year injured, so he's a year behind in his development to begin with.

Archived