Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins Receivers Have Been Unimpressive

heliKCx17

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Publicly and privately, players have praised the Shanahans (Mike and offensive coordinator Kyle) and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett for the improved schemes they have brought to the Redskins. The team's wide receivers have not inspired confidence to this point, according to multiple team sources, and that position is expected to be an area of focus during the two-day camp.

This is very, very disappointing to me, especially considering how WR friendly this offense is due to the play-action. I thought that MK or DT would have stepped up in camp and been impressive. If the Shannys can't bring out your talent, you are a bust. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If they don't step up, I will be supremely disappointed.

I think WR is now our new weakness. I think the OL will be fine, but we need some playmakers at WR. Granted McNabb didn't always have great WRs, but he made them look good. So if he can't get anything out of Thomas or Kelly, we'll need to start looking at WRs for next year.

I think WR is now our new weakness. I think the OL will be fine, but we need some playmakers at WR. Granted McNabb didn't always have great WRs, but he made them look good. So if he can't get anything out of Thomas or Kelly, we'll need to start looking at WRs for next year.

I just had honest, non-homer hopes for our young WRs. MK is huge with great hands, I always thought he could be a TD and chain-moving machine. I've never had much faith in DT though, even when he was drafted. Don't know why we didn't go with D Jackson as the game-changer type, but I'd still be happy with one of them being a 1000 yard receiver. I fear their careers were destroyed by Zorn.

Apparently Jim Zorn had no idea how to design plays, so it is understandable that he had a total lack of ability to contribute to scouts' evaluations of the offensive players that we drafted under his and VC's watch.

Now that there is no tie between these two and the regime, they need to make the team based on merit in 2010. If they aren't one of the top 5 receivers on the roster when it is time to make cuts, cut them. If there are better players that can be signed, sign them. DT has shown only flashes and MK has shown nothing. What a disappointment.

This is why more and more we need to see more 2 TE sets this year and alot less Mike Sellers in the game. Pretty much everyone knows if he is in the game, it is a run.

Exactly. Assuming that this report is indeed true (we all know how reliable RI's "multiple sources" are), Coaches Mike and Kyle will rely heavily on our two stud tight ends. Hell, even if our receivers aren't struggling I would like to see two tight end sets often on the field . . . There are so many match-up problems that Cooley and Davis can cause that we absolutely have to maximize their potential by playing them both at the same time.

Lets see how they do during preseason before we judge...

I mean there has been players who have been phenomenal during training camp/ota/practice and does show ANY of it on the field...

I am going to take a wait and see before I judge anything.

Agreed. Maybe they are just taking a little while longer to master the routes, assignments, terminology, etc. Once the ball is in their hands though (specifically Santana, M. Kelly and Devin) we know how explosive they each can be. And I am sure that Donovan will be able to get them the ball to make plays . . . its just a matter of how often and in what position, depending on how far they come in knowing what they need to know.

No, just one big reason.

LOL very well put... this is why I don't get the Oakland hype. He's getting put behind an equally treacherous line with an even worse receiving cast. :doh:

A candle won't shine in a black hole. Elementary physics.

You didn't need a report to know this, or any info from camp.

McNabb threw with our receivers that very first weekend. The next day? We brought a ton of fresh receivers in.

After one weekend with our WRs, McNabb knew immediately that he couldn't win with them.

LOL very well put... this is why I don't get the Oakland hype. He's getting put behind an equally treacherous line with an even worse receiving cast. :doh:

PLEASE Let's not make this a JC thread. He's not even here anymore!!!!!

As far as the current receivers, does anybody know if Moss is out there working? I thought I heard that he was recovering from an injury.

MK/DT have to step up this year. If not, they are done. We'll see. They don't need to be rock stars in this offense. But the WCO puts tremendous emphasis on being in the right place at the right time. That means running precise routes. It's questionable whether they can do it or not.

I would hope they could. But I'll believe it when I see it.

:applause:BOOM! Mighty fine word usage right there! (Although I hope Candle proves you wrong.)

But back to the topic at hand...

I don't think people should be freaking out about this "Problem" at WR right now... We are talking about the first voluntary workouts of the offseason with a new QB, new head coach/offensive coordinator, and a new scheme.

From my understanding, DT/MK/Moss haven't even gotten that many reps with the first team and at this time, the coaches are more focused on evaluating the guys with an outside shot of making the squad.

We all watched DT progress throughout last season and saw flashes of what MK was capable of in an elementary school offense. Now, picture them in a proven scheme with a proven QB and you really have no reason to worry.

While DeSean/Royal might have a SLIGHT step on Santana, (and I really mean SLIGHT) we still have one of the quickest game-changing WRs in the league and Moss will have no problem blowing by safeties as he does every year.... The difference is, now we have a guy who can hit him in stride.

I'm not worried. Whoever said they were now more concerned about our WRs corps than our O-Line is just getting caught up with recent media bull****. Our line still sucks, our receiving unit will be just fine.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Publicly and privately, players have praised the Shanahans (Mike and offensive coordinator Kyle) and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett for the improved schemes they have brought to the Redskins. The team's wide receivers have not inspired confidence to this point, according to multiple team sources, and that position is expected to be an area of focus during the two-day camp.

The old un-named source.

Its just OTAs.

They're working on installing the base plays.

Everything is new to everyone.

They aren't focusing on getting into specifics for a particular player or a particular unit like the 1st team per se.

If there is a lack of confidence, i don't believe there is, i'm sure when McNabb starts taking heavy reps with 1st team WRs and they start working on specifics then you'll see the receivers start to produce.

Also, i've actually heard some good things about Galloway, Armstrong, Banks.

Anthony has some speed and he's made some very big plays for us so far," Shanahan said. "He's right in the mix. What you saw at the end of practice is very indicative of what you want in OTAS. You put them in a two-minute situation, all the coaches are off the field and you want to see if guys can make plays. That was pretty encouraging."

11:35 am WR Joey Galloway, working with the first team, got the better of another young CB, Carlos Rogers, getting wide open for a comeback route. QB Donovan McNabb seems to be developing a good connection with Galloway.

WR Joey Galloway might be 38 years old, but that hasn’t stopped him from consistently getting separation from defensive backs in these OTAs. He got open between SS Reed Doughty and FS Kareem Moore on one play near the right sideline today, and McNabb hit him in a tight window with a beautiful throw for a 25-yard gain.

The Redskins worked on more deep passes today, especially the 25-yard outs. Donovan McNabb was on target with that throw today, squeezing a couple passes into tight spots. The best one? He stood strong in the pocket and then zipped a pass that landed just over the head of Kareem Moore to Joey Galloway, who was just in front of Reed Doughty. Another time he hit Anthony Armstrong on a deep out, just over top of Byron Westbrook.

From my understanding, DT/MK/Moss haven't even gotten that many reps with the first team and at this time, the coaches are more focused on evaluating the guys with an outside shot of making the squad.

I think the time missing due to injury is more of a factor in this. It is hard to integrate into the offense if you can't get on the field.

Archived