Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(RUMOR) Tom Izzo to be the next coach of the Cavaliers

Oldskool

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

Sources close to WFNY have informed us that Tom Izzo has told his players at Michigan State that he plans on taking the Cavaliers job. Our sources have heard directly from players on the MSU team that Izzo informed them this week that he is planning on making the move up to the NBA level under the ownership of MSU grad Dan Gilbert. We have also heard from a separate source that Izzo is holding off on announcing this until the end of the week, when his kids finish up school in the Lansing area. While Izzo could always change his mind, we are comfortable reporting that he has in fact informed his players at Michigan State that he will be taking the Cavaliers job.

More details as we get them.

Update from Rick: We have three separate confirmations. Nobody at WFNY expects Izzo to announce a press conference immediately in response to this. He has his timing. We will stand by the story and wait it out.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/06/sources_say_msu_players_believ.html

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo reportedly will visit Cleveland today, meet Cavaliers officials

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Tom Izzo has flirted with NBA jobs before and then backed away from the edge only to stay at Michigan State.

There's a chance that is what could be happening with his latest suitor, the Cavaliers. But there's no doubt the Michigan State coach is getting closer to that edge.

According to a Michigan State source, Izzo has scheduled a trip to Cleveland on Thursday to meet with team officials and possibly tour the Cavs' facilities. Whether or not Izzo will go through with the trip is unknown.

That isn't the only sign he's gotten serious about Dan Gilbert's offer to replace Mike Brown. Sources told The Plain Dealer Wednesday that Michigan State players left a meeting with Izzo Tuesday night believing he was going to take the Cavs' job.

Izzo didn't tell the players that directly. He called the meeting to acknowledge reports that he'd been offered the job, but players left afraid they were about to lose their coach.

Several other sources, however, indicated Izzo hadn't made a final decision. The expectation is he will take at least a couple more days to make up his mind.

LeBron James is expected to take considerably longer to make up his mind about his future.

With so much uncertainty, the Cavs are hedging their bets. According to a league source, the Cavs have opened discussions with former Nets and Hornets head coach Byron Scott. ESPN reported on Wednesday that Scott could interview with the team before the end of the week. However, sources indicate Izzo is still Gilbert's first choice.

This is not the first time Izzo has been in this position. He has declined offers to leave for the NBA numerous times over the last 10 years. He's been on the brink a few times, especially with the Atlanta Hawks in 2000, before deciding to stay with the Spartans.His latest rejection of an NBA job was recent as well. A Michigan State trustee told both the Chicago Tribune and the Detroit News on Wednesday that the Chicago Bulls talked to Izzo about their open coaching job before hiring Tom Thibodeau last week.

Trustee Joel Ferguson told the Tribune: "Tom thought he could get the job" with the Bulls.

Izzo's flirtation with the Bulls aside, at least some Spartans seem worried it will turn into a yes this time. A difference in the two jobs, in addition to the possibility James would re-sign, is that the Cavs have a larger budget for their coaching position.

Gilbert has offered Izzo at least $6 million a year to leave East Lansing after 15 highly-successful seasons. Thibodeau signed a three-year contract worth a reported $6.5 million with just two years guaranteed. The chance to make significantly more money plus work for someone, in Gilbert, who Izzo knows seems to be getting him to consider the Cavs more deeply.

The entire ordeal, though, is applying stress to Michigan State and the uncertainty may also be affecting recruiting efforts. It seemed to boil over a bit on Wednesday when athletic director Mark Hollis issued a terse statement attacking the media for the coverage of Izzo's potential departure.

"There have been many ridiculous reports," Hollis said in the statement. "I'm angry at the impact they have on student-athletes, coaches, wives and children, and other people at universities and organizations. Tom Izzo is the head basketball coach at Michigan State University."

However, Michigan State has acknowledged the Cavs are interested. The Cavs have said they're interested. Izzo has declined to comment or dismiss the speculation. Now his players are concerned they are losing their coach.

Which is why the Cavs might just be close to getting theirs.

Is he an idiot? He's done so well at MSU. LeBron isn't even guaranteed to be back in Cleveland.

That's why you have to admire what Coach K does. That guy gets so many offers from NBA teams, but he stays put. The Lakers called him, he told them to **** off. THE LAKERS.

Is he an idiot? He's done so well at MSU. LeBron isn't even guaranteed to be back in Cleveland.

That's why you have to admire what Coach K does. That guy gets so many offers from NBA teams, but he stays put. The Lakers called him, he told them to **** off. THE LAKERS.

Could not agree more. He is at the point of retiring from MSU when HE decides to. Just like Joe Pa at PSU and Coach K at Duke. I don't understand it.

You criticize him when nearly every college coach that goes fails.

Rick Pitino

John Calipari

Leonard Hamilton

Billy Donovan had a chance for a few days but backed out

Mike Montgomery

The list is ENDLESS

It's a horrible ridiculous idea

It was in passing but I'm pretty sure I just saw on ESPNews right now that Byron Scott was going to be the next coach of the Cavs. Maybe I misheard/saw that.

You criticize him when nearly every college coach that goes fails.

Rick Pitino

John Calipari

Leonard Hamilton

Billy Donovan had a chance for a few days but backed out

Mike Montgomery

The list is ENDLESS

It's a horrible ridiculous idea

I was talking to my bro about this yesterday. We were trying to think of a college coach who successfully made the transition. We couldn't come up with one. Anyone got one?

As an MSU alum and fan I hope he doesn't go. I agree with those who've said that if he does, he will probably fail. There a reason Mike Kryzewski (sp?) hasn't gone, he knows the risk of failure is high and is at the top of his profession where he is.

Don't do it Tom.

It was in passing but I'm pretty sure I just saw on ESPNews right now that Byron Scott was going to be the next coach of the Cavs. Maybe I misheard/saw that.

ESPN has a story that Byron Scott is the fronrunner http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5270166

However the Cavs own website says that Izzo will meet with them tomorrow (see original post edit).

I was talking to my bro about this yesterday. We were trying to think of a college coach who successfully made the transition. We couldn't come up with one. Anyone got one?

Larry Brown.

There have been, way back in the early history of the NBA...but not in recent memory.

As someone pointed out, Larry Brown has gone to the College game and coached in the NBA pretty successfully. I also recall the Lakers signing a WVU coach who didn't do too bad, back in the Jerry West days, although I may be imagining things.

Archived