Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beware of Samsung T.V.'s (UPDATE Page 3)

BayouBrave86

I bought my Samsung 40'' in the summer of 2007. Recently it started making a clicking sound and would take forever to turn on until tonight, where the screen finally turned dark for good. I did some research and found out that my t.v. and others made in the same time period all have a capacitator problem. I called Samsung the other day to resolve this issue and they set up an appointment and informed me that I had a one-time free repair with this issue. Then, a lady calls me the next day to set up a repair appointment. Everything seems to be going well until I get a call back from her a few hours later informing me that my model is not eligible for the free repair. WTF? I agreed to their terms and conditions when talking to the Samsung customer service rep to inform them of this problem. He basically asked me if I accepted the conditions of the free repair and that if it wasn't the capacitators giving my t.v. problems, that I would be responsible for paying whatever it was to fix the t.v.

So was that by definition a contract? Do I have any ground to stand on? The lady when she called me back told me that Samsung was going to look over my issue and determine whether or not to honor the free repair. I'll probably hear back from them tomorrow. If not, it costs 180 dollars to fix the damn thing.

Lnt4042hx/xaa

Yeah, I had a customer come in for a replacement for that model a few weeks ago. I haven't had many issues when dealing with Samsung Support, so this does surprise me. It's a known defect in that line of TVs, and a reputable manufacturer such as Samsung often fixes these issues. I'm sure they'll work with you and get this issue resolved.

What I've found in situations like this is that politely raising hell and moving up the customer service ladder as much you have to is the key to success. Eventually you'll get to someone who has enough power and not enough time to deal with your bull****, and they'll give you what you want.

This kind of goes along with my other posts. All these TV's are throwaway technology. Don't spend too much time and research on buying. If they last you 5 years, it's a success.

Even if you try and buy all the bells and whistles, within twelve months your TV is probably technically behind, and the price on it has dropped drastically.

This isn't your grandfathers tube tv.

Buy a well priced flat panel, plan on replacing it every 5 years. Rinse, repeat.

A friend of mine had the same issue with a 40 inch Samsung he bought in 2007. Not sure if it is the same model, but it is definitely the same issue. Luckily, he bought the extended warranty from Best Buy. They sent someone out and it was fixed in about 20 minutes.

I bought my Samsung 40'' in the summer of 2007. Recently it started making a clicking sound and would take forever to turn on until tonight, where the screen finally turned dark for good. I did some research and found out that my t.v. and others made in the same time period all have a capacitator problem. I called Samsung the other day to resolve this issue and they set up an appointment and informed me that I had a one-time free repair with this issue. Then, a lady calls me the next day to set up a repair appointment. Everything seems to be going well until I get a call back from her a few hours later informing me that my model is not eligible for the free repair. WTF? I agreed to their terms and conditions when talking to the Samsung customer service rep to inform them of this problem. He basically asked me if I accepted the conditions of the free repair and that if it wasn't the capacitators giving my t.v. problems, that I would be responsible for paying whatever it was to fix the t.v.

So was that by definition a contract? Do I have any ground to stand on? The lady when she called me back told me that Samsung was going to look over my issue and determine whether or not to honor the free repair. I'll probably hear back from them tomorrow. If not, it costs 180 dollars to fix the damn thing.

I sent you a PM that can hopefully could help you fix your set on your own.

Gentlemen... I have the answer...

This exact problem happened to me a few months ago (I actually posted about it in the "ask a salesman" thread) I went through all the song and dance with Samsung, and got all the same BS as everyone. So, I went to Youtube.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHHrgX_6cs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNHHrgX_6cs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

All you need are a few (2-4 depending on how many are blown) capacitors (10v 1000uf) from Radio Shack, and a soldering iron. I had absolutely ZERO soldering iron experience, but a 10 second lesson from my step-father and I could handle this job.

Total cost was $3.55 and 45 minutes of my time. My TV works perfectly again. My Samsung has been running strong for over a month since the problem was fixed.

This kind of goes along with my other posts. All these TV's are throwaway technology. Don't spend too much time and research on buying. If they last you 5 years, it's a success.

Even if you try and buy all the bells and whistles, within twelve months your TV is probably technically behind, and the price on it has dropped drastically.

This isn't your grandfathers tube tv.

Buy a well priced flat panel, plan on replacing it every 5 years. Rinse, repeat.

Exactly, really with the speed that technology is improving it makes little sense for manufacturers to spend a lot of money to make a TV that will last a decade or more. Better to make cheaper high tech TVs that are great for a few years because they will be completely outdated by the time they break in 3-5 years.

What amazes me about stuff like this is that my Dad has in the basement a Sony tv that he bought in the early 1970's. It still works perfectly. It even handled the digital conversion. The picture's a little on the small side, but the clarity and color is perfect. It boggles how much worse we are (intentionally probably) at making stuff than we used to be.

Heck, when the Romans built a road it stood for thousands of years. Nowadays, give us one good ice storm and the road is toast. Potholes galore (yeah, I know some of that has to do with salt and chemicals... by yeesh)

Put me with sjinhan. I have a 56" DLP I bought in april 2006. No problems to date. Still using the original bulb. Sucks that this particylar model has this defect, but I think generally samsung has a very good reputation for their tvs (though I would defer to slacky)

What amazes me about stuff like this is that my Dad has in the basement a Sony tv that he bought in the early 1970's. It still works perfectly. It even handled the digital conversion. The picture's a little on the small side, but the clarity and color is perfect. It boggles how much worse we are (intentionally probably) at making stuff than we used to be.

Heck, when the Romans built a road it stood for thousands of years. Nowadays, give us one good ice storm and the road is toast. Potholes galore (yeah, I know some of that has to do with salt and chemicals... by yeesh)

I see it with cars, too, being in that business. Today's cars are designed to last relatively problem free until the warranty is up and then be disposed of after ten total years of use. I can't stand it. Corporate planning has advanced to the stage where products are specifically designed to last just long enough that you won't be too mad to buy a new one once it breaks. So annoying, what happened to quality products? My 60" Mitsubishi rear projection circa 1991 (bought to watch the 91 Super Bowl :) ) just crapped on me last week. Almost 20 years that thing has been in use and I think it's just a bulb or something (TV turns on, no picture though, just sound). The cars I drive are an 83 VW GTI, an 89 Jetta GLI and an 83 Volvo 240 and they're robust, durable, long lasting cars that give me very little in the way of problems despite each having at least 170,000 miles. I can promise you you won't see nearly as many 2008s on the road in 20 years as you see those old cars today. The whole priority focus has changed in modern manufacturing. It's no longer about making a better product, it's about making the product as cheap as humanly possible so that you'll come back for the repeat business in a few years when it breaks. I hate that trend, it's just become so difficult to find a product you can trust will work for a good long time.

well I have a 42" plasma from Samsung that I bought in early 2006. The TV still works great.. its operating as same as it did the first day I bought it.

ok now... move forward with Samsung TV bashing...

I have a 58" Plasma from Samsung that I purchased in 2008 and it is running great. You can't please everybody all of the time.

I hope the OP's problems get fixed, but I agree, he shouldn't spend too much time, money and resources trying to fix the issue either.

DANG> I wish I'd known about this a while ago. I bought an open box 50 inch Samsung LCD back in 2007. I heard some clicking noises but that is only when the TV is on for a period of time, and then cut off, and cut back on with in 1 minute or so. It will begins to click, and then cut on. Other than that, I have no problems with the TV. I just know when it's cut off, give it a few minutes before cutting it back on.

I just recently bought 3 more Samsung HD TV's... Maybe I should have chose a different brand name.....Nah, nevermind. It's the Official HD TV of the NFL.

Archived