Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beware of Samsung T.V.'s (UPDATE Page 3)

BayouBrave86

DANG> I wish I'd known about this a while ago. I bought an open box 50 inch Samsung LCD back in 2007. I heard some clicking noises but that is only when the TV is on for a period of time, and then cut off, and cut back on with in 1 minute or so. It will begins to click, and then cut on. Other than that, I have no problems with the TV. I just know when it's cut off, give it a few minutes before cutting it back on.

I just recently bought 3 more Samsung HD TV's... Maybe I should have chose a different brand name.....Nah, nevermind. It's the Official HD TV of the NFL.

:ols:

Because that really enhances your viewing experience.

well I have a 42" plasma from Samsung that I bought in early 2006. The TV still works great.. its operating as same as it did the first day I bought it.

ok now... move forward with Samsung TV bashing...

Thank you. I'm sorry that the OP have had problems with their set, but I have several Samsungs and I've had little to no problems. The problems I am experiencing were known issues before I purchased the set.

Sucks that happened and hope you were able to fix the problem.

As for myself, I swear by the Samsung HDTV's, have a 63" rear projection and most of my friends and family have Samsung TV's. Great quality

The OP has obviously never had an HDTV before. Samsung TVs are of very high quality so I hope no one simply reads the thread title and decides not to buy one.

Rule #1 of buying an HDTV - by the longest service plan you can.

Rule #2 - If you smoke, you're killing your TV and it will very young

Rule #3 - If you want, ignore Rule #1 and just buy a cheaper tv, knowing that you will replace it in 3 years. Personally, i'd rather pay half the price and get a new TV every three or four years than pay through the nose for a top of the line model.

Honestly, it's just the nature of the technology. With all the small capacitors/resistors/transistors on the motherboard, the chipsets and processors, etc. There's just more small parts where something can go wrong. This thread in no way should steer people away from buying a Samsung TV. I myself will be buying a Samsung LED TV at the end of the year.

What amazes me about stuff like this is that my Dad has in the basement a Sony tv that he bought in the early 1970's. It still works perfectly. It even handled the digital conversion. The picture's a little on the small side, but the clarity and color is perfect. It boggles how much worse we are (intentionally probably) at making stuff than we used to be.

Heck, when the Romans built a road it stood for thousands of years. Nowadays, give us one good ice storm and the road is toast. Potholes galore (yeah, I know some of that has to do with salt and chemicals... by yeesh)

Furnaces: Companies in the 50's and 60's made such high quality furnaces that they never had to be replaced or repaired for over 40 years. Shocker that those companies are now out of business. They have been replaced by companies that give you a furnace that goes without needing one repair for 5 years, which is shockingly, the length of the warranty. It will then last 5 more years with a few repairs, and then after its 10th year, it will die. Then you will have to buy a new one. And on, and on.

Slacky, what do you think on LED prices? My parents bought a samsung lcd for $1500, a 55" one. We have not gotten it delivered yet, and may cancel the order and see if LED prices are going to come down.

Do you think LED prices will come down any by Football season time? I'm telling them to keep the LCD since they cannot tell a difference between a plasma/lcd/led, but they want to see if they can get an LED, even from another brand like Sony, LG, or even Vizio.

What are your thoughts

I bought a Samsung 46" 630 LCD this week and I had read about the clicking before I did, but a. on the net all you typically see are the complaints and b. all of the different brands have their individual problems. I have to say I'm stoked on the picture and it's a lot quieter than my old sony lcd rear projection (talk about technology that wasn't around long and a crappy tv it's got the blue blobs which are their known issue). Looked at the LED (which is just an LED backlight as opposed to florescent one, not a separate technology - they're still LCD's) but considering that it's that latest thing I think it's overpriced still.

I paid a grand and I think it was a good deal specially considering that pos sony cost me $1600 just 4 years ago. I have the htpc hooked up to it and the fonts at 200% and it's my monitor in addition to tv. My old wore out eyes really like it.

I bought a 40 inch Samsung LCD in January of 2009, and four months ago it started having the same problems as the OP describes. I would press power and the power-up sound would play, but the screen would stay blank. Sometimes if you waited a while it would eventually turn on. I researched the issue on the internet, and discovered the same capacitor issue with Samsungs that the OP found.

But then, suddenly and magically, the problem stopped. Since early March, I've had no problems at all with it. I'm glad, but still nervous. I'm just waiting for the problem to come back at any time.

Of course, like a dumbass, I didn't buy the extended warranty from Best Buy, so my one-year manufacturer's warranty is already expired.

I'm crossing my fingers that the problem doesn't come back for another year or so, because then I'll just buy a new one instead of trying to fix it.

And by the way, what the heck does soddering involve, anyway? Can it be dangerous if done improperly? I might try that fix-it-yourself route if I can, but I'm not the handiest of people.

Well, I forgot about this thread because I went out of town this weekend, but I called Samsung back today because I still hadn't heard from their customer service department. The lady I spoke with was really apologetic and was able to give me a warranty for 30 days so that I could get my t.v. repaired for free. Samsung technician came over today and fixed the t.v. for me.

Thanks for the input everyone by the way and no it's not a DLP t.v. I was very polite with the customer service lady but she could definitely tell I was annoyed that I hadn't heard from them with an update. Anyway, I guess I can expect 2 more years with this t.v. and then it'll probably have the same problem again haha.

The OP has obviously never had an HDTV before. Samsung TVs are of very high quality so I hope no one simply reads the thread title and decides not to buy one.

Rule #1 of buying an HDTV - by the longest service plan you can.

Rule #2 - If you smoke, you're killing your TV and it will very young

Rule #3 - If you want, ignore Rule #1 and just buy a cheaper tv, knowing that you will replace it in 3 years. Personally, i'd rather pay half the price and get a new TV every three or four years than pay through the nose for a top of the line model.

Well considering HDTV's didn't really start becoming a household item until around late 2007/2008, yeah..I didn't have an hdtv before it. I had a 19'' Insignia if you want to count that, but that might be the worst t.v. I ever bought. I researched for a few months before buying the Samsung and I heard nothing but great things about them. The picture is great, but the capacitator problem (which nobody would know about until a couple of years) is a big red flag to me. Kudos to their customer service though for accepting responsibility and fixing the problem. And I believe I bought the extended warranty for the t.v. that recently just ran out. I still have the original receipt around here somewhere.

I don't want to hijack the thread, only one question.

Matt, is true Vizio has a great performance in LCD?

Because in Mexico the adds claim is one of the bests TVs in the USA.

My fiancee's mom had a Samsung. Died after only a year of use. Makes me never want to buy a Samsung. We got a Vizio around the same time and we've never had a single problem and it was much cheaper than the Samsung.

Archived