Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES video: Chris Horton: "This is the hardest I've seen us work."

themurf

464D9sQN_l4

It's been a while since anyone has heard from Washington Redskins safety Chris "The Predator" Horton.

After a surprisingly solid rookie campaign put Horton on the map, his sophomore season was less than desirable for the UCLA Bruin. Thanks largely to a toe injury, Horton saw action in just eight games in 2009.

While he's still not 100 percent, Horton is working himself back into action slowly but surely. And like many of his teammates, Horton's encouraged by what he's seen so far this offseason. The addition of general manager Bruce Allen, head coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has given players like Horton a reason for optimism heading into next season.

"Just look at what guys in this scheme have been able to accomplish," he said.

But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, Horton simply wants to get back onto the field full time and do his best to help the Redskins win football games.

"When I come back, I might be the fifth safety," Horton said. "I might start there, but I know one thing - I ain't gonna finish there."

Which is exactly the kind of mentality these coaches want to see from their players. With that mindset and plenty of hard work and determination, Horton could be back on the field sooner rather than later for the burgundy and gold.

Man we got two real likable, solid, hard-working guys at S in Horton and Doughty. I'm a bigger fan of Horton myself, but I think it's just the dreads haha. Hopefully Haslett finds a way to get these guys, Laron, and Kareem plenty of playing time and utilize their individual strengths.

Hearing Horton say this and reading reports from other players about the whole change in culture and discipline at Redskins Park is truly refreshing. Hard work will translate on the field, while it might not mean a Super Bowl this coming season the hard work will pay off.

All the hard work and confidence being installed into this team, "WILL" pay off in the end. It's been obvious that all the players are biting their tongues, you can just feel and hear the confidence in each and everyone of them. I think we are going to throttle the Cowboys that Sunday Night Opener! They don't have a clue what we're coming after them with, but you better believe we're coming after their asses, and it's not going to be pretty if your on the Cowboys side.

Great thread Murf :point2sky

It's all talk at this point. Show me results, or otherwise this is like every other year.
I know you are a bit cynical. We all are. But come on, the Skins just went from perhaps the dumbest coach of all time to a Hall of Famer (who is NOT over the hill). The results are in already.

Glad that they're working hard. Everything the players have said regarding team atmosphere, team work ethic, attention to detail, etc. really speaks volumes about how ****ty the Zorn era was. It's amazing how unprepared Zorn was for this job, and how stupid the old regime was to hire him.

Or what they've developed in Washington...

Oh, definitely, but I think the poster I responded to was referring to the part of the video where Horton is asked about Jim Haslett's defense, and he said something along the lines of "look what guys have been able to do in this system in the past". And for that, I think he was talking about the 3-4 in general, or maybe even the safety position in general in a 3-4, such as the Pitt system where its Polamalu's job to make plays. Who knows.

in other words Jim Zorn's staff never pushed the players on the roster hard enough to get maximum performances out of them.

that was obvious from the overall record.

the Redskins were not a great team personnel wise in 2009 but they were worlds better than teams like Kansas City and Cleveland.

no reason for the team to have finished that far down in the standings.

I think that's the first time I've heard him speak. Now I understand how he was able to step in so quickly. Great attitude and he seems like a very intelligent young man. I'm praying he can get back to 100% soon.

Archived