Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it a good idea for kids to have cell phones?

blue collar

Like I said man, different generation. And you wonder why today's kids have such obesity issues.

They have obesity issues because of their fat lazy parents.

It ain't the electronics fault.

And I take it you don't have kids? You are 23 y/o, not really the greatest person to be commenting on the subject.

Right. I'm one step better - I'm someone who went through being a teenager just as everyone was getting a cell phone. I can tell blue exactly how effective his tactics will be. And after splitting my high school years with and without a cell phone, I can say with supreme confidence that if my parents told me they were taking my cell phone away because it would prevent me from arranging a hookup or getting the details about a weekend kegger, I would have openly laughed. For God's sake, did you see the examples he provided? "Her mom won't be home" and "[blank] can be the lookout"? Are you ****ting me? Do you know how mind-bogglingly easy it is to know that kind of stuff without a cell phone? I feel like he's never watched an 80's teen movie in his life. You know, from before cell phones were invented, yet everyone still drank and had sex if they wanted to.

I'm going to take the approach with my kids as my parents did me. I didn't have a cell phone untill I could drive, because I didn't need a cell phone when I was at school or at a friends because of land lines. all class rooms have phones, as do most houses these days. And if they can't drive themselves, either my wife and I, or a family friend will be the ones driving.

It's funny that the problems people are attributing to phones aren't actually due to the phones at all. Talk about scapegoating.

You're blaming the PHONE for your Dad's/friend's inability to pay attention to you when you're out to dinner?

Maybe it's because of my age (though cell phone use never caused a problem in my house), but I can't fathom not allowing my kid to have a cell phone when they get to HS.

If I'm paranoid and you like to judge other people then assuming you have children have fun having children who get everything they want, and have no limits on what they are allowed to do.
I'm pretty sure he said that in jest.

Brah. :evilg:

I'm not a parent but I gather when its all said and done, no one ends up being the parent they envisioned they would be. Its probably why so many people pledge to never treat their kids like their parents treated them and end up doing just that.

She is also not allowed to delete any texts without asking first AND her texts go to this "special website" ;) that allows me to see every incoming and outgoing text to/from her phone.

You can tell if she deletes them regardless of the "special website". I can look at everytime a text was sent from ,y phone regardless of what it was about. If your kid uses a computer at all, she can figure out that you are lying and just plays along with you.

I didn't have a cell phone until I could drive, because I didn't need a cell phone when I was at school or at a friends because of land lines. all class rooms have phones, as do most houses these days.

Until you can drive makes sense to me. Very few of my friends have land lines these days. I havent had one for about 5 years.

Sounds like a nice idea in theory.

In practice, well it's another story.

Where I live I would say almost EVERY kid has a cell phone in middle school. It's the norm, not the exception.

Have fun battling your child daily for the why's they can't have one.

Regardless of your decision, at the end of the day it's a matter of trusting your kids. You can put a GPS on the car, attempt to read the texts, attempt to enforce your rules. But if your child chooses to do something against your rules, you really can't stop it. You were in high school once right? ;) Your kid will outsmart you. Don't think otherwise. Of course, they will get caught. But you can't micromanage them.

Cell phone or not, it's about raising your kids the right way. If you do, they wont be sexting their boyfriends. If you don't raise them right, they will. A cell phone wont prohibit or inhibit your child's activities. A proper raising giving the society they live in is what matters. The small battles don't matter as much as the larger picture.

I always love the parent's who "think"....wow I have beaten the system. Uh no you didn't. You beat the system by instilling values.

:D

Yeah, you basically just said what I said in my post. I don't think you can micromanage kids. You have to instill values in them when you are raising them, IMO...although I'm not a parent yet.

And yes, I was in high school...and amazingly, my brother, sister, and I were all pretty good kids in high school, never got into trouble. My brother and sister are still perfect angels to this day, I'm another story, but in high school, I was the picture of angelic innocence. :)

And none of us got a phone until we turned 16 and got our licenses, although texting didn't really exist then and it's a whole different ball game now. Although, as of now, I plan on doing a lot of similar things that my parents did, which was instill some values in my children and raise them in a secure and loving household...and let my husband armbar them when they get out of line. :)

I'll see when I cross that bridge, but right now I think my kids won't be getting cell phones until 7th or 8th gradish.

All of my kids have cellphones, the youngest is 14 he pays for it. If any of children start texting when I am talking I walk away. People are obessed with them, I have noticed.

I don't own one never have, never will. Then you ask what about an emergency! There is always someone else around that has one.

Then you ask what about an emergency! There is always someone else around that has one.

IMO, I think people use that as an excuse for their kids to have one. My generation (I'm 37) and every generation before me got along without a cell phone.

Well you need to have a talk with your child then. It seems there is a problem there and the problem is not cell phones.

The conversation will occur via any different type of medium: facebook, IM chat, over the phone, text, person to person snail mail etc.

Have you talked with your child about the texts? What is the explanation?

The medium isn't causing a good child to do bad things.

No, the medium just gives kids another avenue to do bad things. And yes, I asked about it and of course he said nothing was going on. I took the cell phone away and he hasn't got it back to this day.

No, the medium just gives kids another avenue to do bad things. And yes, I asked about it and of course he said nothing was going on. I took the cell phone away and he hasn't got it back to this day.

The same bad things they would do regardless of texting or not. Did you just leave it when he said nothing?

IMO, I think people use that as an excuse for their kids to have one. My generation (I'm 37) and every generation before me got along without a cell phone.

Get a kiddie phone. Program in the numbers the kid will need. Just make sure you have you phone at all times and service in the area.

You being vague about the "bad things" is somewhat paranoid.

You should have never bought him a phone to begin with. Make him get a job to earn that phone.

The same bad things they would do regardless of texting or not. Did you just leave it when he said nothing?

First off, I didn't believe him for a second. I told him that "the only time anyone need a lookout is when they're doing something they have no business doing." He just stood there dumbfounded. I gave him the typical "you better not be doing something you shouldn't" speech. The next day I started to go over to this house and tell the "mom" that her house has become a hangout when she's not there, but I didn't.

Good luck being a paranoid over-restrictive parent brah. It's what makes parenting a tough job and doesn't guarantee anything. :evilg:
Oh I suppose it's paranoid and over-restrictive to not want my children having the ability to call and send text messages to anybody at any time from a young age. God forbid I deem it unnecessary for a 13 year old to have text messaging. I didn't keep in mind that they'll have so many important things to discuss, being teenagers and all, and taking away cell phones would hinder their ability to do such things!!!

If I'm paranoid and you like to judge other people then assuming you have children have fun having children who get everything they want, and have no limits on what they are allowed to do. It's what creates a generation of over indulged losers who lack common intelligence, life skills and abilities because they were left to do whatever the **** they wanted as a result of the fact that their parents felt it was best to let an immature 14 year old call the shots.

I'm not your brah.

I don't think it's ridiculous to expect middle-schoolers to use one of the phones you're describing. At that age and younger, I think the cell phone a child has should be more for the parent.

As the kids get older (high school) I personally would be OK with them having a real cell phone.

Lastly, I don't get why people feel the need to come in here and bash other peoples' ideas. I mean, we all will raise our kids differently and that doesn't mean that we're all not doing something right.

Lastly, I don't get why people feel the need to come in here and bash other peoples' ideas. I mean, we all will raise our kids differently and that doesn't mean that we're all not doing something right.

It's typically opinions, not bashing.

I see great parents and ****ty ones all the time. But again it's just my opinion.

And surely no one (except me) is perfect. (Clearly a joke).

It's typically opinions, not bashing.

Someone calling you a paranoid, over-restrictive parent is an opinion, sure, but it's bordering on bashing your parenting style which might be working just fine.

I see great parents and ****ty ones all the time. But again it's just my opinion.

And surely no one (except me) is perfect. (Clearly a joke).

:ols:

Matters on usage

If it's for texting and "sexting" and other modern crap then no, but if it's for calling home after extracurricular activities like soccer and chess club and what not, then fine.

Back in my day if you had a cell phone in high school you were assumed to be a drug dealer. LOL

Now I'm too lazy to actually read the first page but if you mean kids as in 1st to 5th graders...**** no. If you mean 6-8 grade then maybe, and 9-12 grade maybe. But these kids need to learn restraint, they can't be using that **** in class texting answers and using them to cheat on tests. I remember during my calculus class my professor told the class about some cell phone scandal and University of Maryland during tests.

Matters on usage

If it's for texting and "sexting" and other modern crap then no, but if it's for calling home after extracurricular activities like soccer and chess club and what not, then fine.

Back in my day if you had a cell phone in high school you were assumed to be a drug dealer. LOL

Now I'm too lazy to actually read the first page but if you mean kids as in 1st to 5th graders...**** no. If you mean 6-8 grade then maybe, and 9-12 grade maybe. But these kids need to learn restraint, they can't be using that **** in class texting answers and using them to cheat on tests. I remember during my calculus class my professor told the class about some cell phone scandal and University of Maryland during tests.

Over here, you're not allowed to use them during school.

All good points, but I find myself relying on having my phone more and more as I get older too. I don't get nervous or anything if I don't have it, I just am very used to the constant connection of e-mails, texts, and phone calls.

I take it work and put it in my bag. At home it's on the dresser. Most of the time when I do take it, it's on my belt. I never panic or think, OMG I left my cellphone at home.

That's very true. I see people every day just walking down the street and I swear atleast half of them are either talking on their phones or reading a text. I say to myself, "you're not that important."

I love the one's who literally carry their phone in their hand the whole time. They never put it in their pocket, holster or purse. And then they look at it incessantly to see if anyone called or texted, even though it has an alert to let you know if someone did.

I think we should change our flag to the silouette of a driver holding a cell phone to their ear. Teenagers have gotten worse with cell phones. Practically everytime I see one, both hands are going a million miles an hour on their little typewriters, I want to smack them in the back of the head. Also, cellphones have made teens even more standoffish than before.

Eh, kids were storing answers and formulas for math tests in their TI calculators before cell phones became so popular.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Cell phone or not.

They have obesity issues because of their fat lazy parents.

It ain't the electronics fault.

Problem today is, if a child doesn't play with an electronic device, they have no imagination to just go out and play. When I was a little boy, I could play for hours outside with my mathbox cars/hot wheels. I didn't need my parents to "Entertain me." Alot of kids want their parents to entertain them or the parents feel the need to (or feel guilty) if they don't play with the kids every waking hour of the day. So yes, it is the electronics fault, along with the parent who doesn't put a foot up their ass and make them go out and play.

Archived