Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blast from the past- Denver's way

aREDSKIN

A good read on Shanny's thinking etc.

It's eight months later, early August in Greeley, Colo., and the Denver offense has gathered for a Sunday-night meeting at training camp. Before he begins to go over the playbook, offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak has a pointed message for newcomers to the team and a reminder for the holdovers. "You receivers and tight ends have got to pay more attention to your blocking," Kubiak says. "The difference between a good running football team and a great running football team is the receivers. The difference between an eight-yard run and a 30-yard run is your blocking."

That's one of the keystones of the Broncos' running game, the most dominant in football. Since Shanahan took over as coach in 1995, no team has rushed for as many yards as Denver (chart, page 101). Nor has any team scored as many points or won as many Super Bowls.

There is no conventional NFL wisdom at work in the Broncos' system, no trace of the popular belief that the line must be stocked with 350-pound draftees who can pancake the defensive front seven, no absolute need for a franchise back to make the game plan work. Shanahan's fresh line of thinking is long overdue in what has become a copycat league. His system employs light, athletic linemen who can be schooled from ground zero by the fanatical (and now semiretired) Gibbs, himself an invaluable element in Denver's success. The system is designed for the midsized back, maybe 5'11" and 220 pounds, a punishing runner who needs good but not exceptional speed. The east-west runner is out; north-south is in. The system doesn't tolerate great pass catchers who won't block ( Anthony Miller, for example, a free-agent pickup in 1994) and opens its arms to unknown small-college receivers who will (like Smith, out of Missouri Southern).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1023522/index.htm

We are going to run the ball a lot from the looks of this article. I can't wait to run it down Dallas' throat. The best way to combat their pass rush is to run it right at em. Philly is gonna be in trouble to with their undersized defense. They couldn't stop Dallas in week 17 or the first playoff game when Dallas ran the ball.

Think we'll see any of this?

Can't see the video you posted but i'm assuming it's CP's first run as a Redskin.

I really hope so....If the ground game was to become that type of a threat, McNabb should really light it up.

We are going to run the ball a lot from the looks of this article. I can't wait to run it down Dallas' throat. The best way to combat their pass rush is to run it right at em. Philly is gonna be in trouble to with their undersized defense. They couldn't stop Dallas in week 17 or the first playoff game when Dallas ran the ball.
You can't compare our OL to Dallas'. There is a reason Dallas had success running the ball.

How about this?

mGWNJdEaTGY

Check out that run at 1:41.... IMAGINE if we ever see that kind of explosiveness from CP again. It would be insane. Also, check out the downfield block from Plummer (HE'S GOT WHEELS) and that play is the sign of a team who is aware and never stops until the whistle blows.

Getting rid of ARE was great for many reasons, but I think the main reason was that he was a horrible run blocker. Moss can throw blocks and The Comb/Devin Thomas are both VERY good considering their technique isn't quite there. We will be solid in this department.

Archived