Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blast from the past- Denver's way

aREDSKIN

We are going to run the ball a lot from the looks of this article. I can't wait to run it down Dallas' throat. The best way to combat their pass rush is to run it right at em. Philly is gonna be in trouble to with their undersized defense. They couldn't stop Dallas in week 17 or the first playoff game when Dallas ran the ball.

I would think simple logic tells us an undersized defense would be more prepared to stop the zone/cutback scheme. If our goal is to have athletic lineman rather than large ones and make the defense run, then a lighter faster defense would be a better match for our run game than a big bulky one. So if anything I see Philly's "undersize" (I'm not even sure that is true) defense as being an advantage in this particular case.

• 1 month later...

There is no conventional NFL wisdom at work in the Broncos' system, no trace of the popular belief that the line must be stocked with 350-pound draftees who can pancake the defensive front seven, no absolute need for a franchise back to make the game plan work. Shanahan's fresh line of thinking is long overdue in what has become a copycat league. His system employs light, athletic linemen who can be schooled from ground zero by the fanatical (and now semiretired) Gibbs, himself an invaluable element in Denver's success.

Is it just me or is 350lbs considered light now? :silly:

Archived