Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sun (UK): Super Sniper's World Record Kill

GhostofSparta

Didn't see this posted yet, figured it deserves a thread. This is damn impressive.

Super Sniper's World Record Kill

A CRACK shot saved his Brit commander from two Taliban gunmen by shooting them dead from a world record MILE and a HALF away.

Hero sniper Craig Harrison, 35, nailed the killers with a rifle bullet each as the pair manned a machine gun - then for good measure let rip a third shot that took out their weapon.

His marksmanship was all the more amazing because the enemy were firing on his trapped troop leader from 3,000ft BEYOND his rifle's effective range.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2956579/Sniper-Craig-Harrison-kills-2-Taliban-from-a-record-154miles.html#ixzz0mtxOGAuD

Household Cavalryman Craig, of Cheltenham, Gloucs - who went on to be the scourge of the Taliban by killing a dozen more and wounding seven - said of his record-breaking feat yesterday: "They were firing on the troop commander - I gave them the good news. They didn't f****** like it."

That's a great line :ols:

This reminds me of Shooter for some reason.

I'd love to see the calculations that would get you to anything close to hitting the target from that range. In 2.5 seconds the bullet would fall a long way absent other effects. Drag would slow the bullet, changing how long it would take to reach the target and drag is not a linear function of velocity either. :ols:

I can only think that the sniper had practiced similar distances at that altitude and was able to adjust based on experience rather than any calculation.

2.64 seconds to reach the targets. Amazing. I just counted off three seconds...that's a LONG time. I can't imagine a bullet taking that long to reach something. incredible.

Pretty darn impressive shots from that sniper. That's just incredible -- the ballistics of that bullet and the aim that got it there -- wow.

Not to hijack, but if you would like to compare ballistics, this is the sort of ballistics that are calculated for modern tank gunnery --- where standard targets are between 1500m to 2500m out. Now the bullet's are much bigger (and faster) -- but some of the shots from this video give you an idea of the range you're talking about.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=717535

How about the guy in Vietnam who shot the guy through the scope and into his eye thats pretty impressive

Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hath****

One of Hath****'s most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him.[2] Hath**** and John Roland Burke, his spotter, were stalking the enemy sniper in the jungle near Hill 55, the firebase Hath**** was operating from. The sniper had already killed several Marines and was believed to have been sent specifically to kill Hath****.[9] When Hath**** saw a flash of light (light reflecting off the enemy sniper's scope) in the bushes,[2] he fired at it, shooting through the scope and killing the sniper.[5] Surveying the situation, Hath**** concluded that the only feasible way he could have put the bullet straight down the enemy's scope and through his eye would have been if both snipers were zeroing in on each other at the same time and Hath**** fired first, which gave him only a few seconds to act.[9] Given the flight time of rounds at long ranges, both snipers could easily have killed one another.[8] The enemy rifle was recovered and the incident is documented by a photograph.

Now Mythbusters couldn't recreate this, but it was documented.

I read this http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sniper-93-Confirmed-Kills/dp/0425181650/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272974198&sr=1-2 book about Hath**** years ago and it's an excellent read. The scope story is just one of many fascinating and impressive missions. The guy tore apart an M2 50 cal machine gun and made a sniper rifle with it in the field. Barrett has him to thank.

Archived