Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Voters urge city council to keep opening meetings with prayer

Seabee1973

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=974450

LOS ANGELES - Voters in Lancaster, California, have overwhelmingly approved a measure allowing the City Council to continue opening its meetings with prayer.

Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris, who won re-election Tuesday, had urged residents to vote for the prayer initiative even if they didn't want to vote for him. The prayer measure passed by a more than 3-1 margin while Parris collected 57 percent of the vote, defeating four challengers.

The mayor says he's pleased with the election results. "We have made enormous strides in the city of Lancaster," he shares. "We've dropped crime by 31 percent -- and I think a lot of it has to do that we are a city that prays for guidance every single day."

RexParris.jpgThere's nothing wrong, says Parris, with Christian prayers before City Council meetings. "For over 200 years the leaders of this country have been praying in the name of Jesus Christ and seeking to fashion a nation that would be pleasing to him," he points out. As for the Council meeting prayers, as outlined in the voter-approved initiative, Parris explains: "We will continue to have an invocation at the beginning of every City Council meeting, [and] whoever is at the lecturn praying...can pray to whatever deity they recognize -- including Jesus Christ."

Click the link above to read more

Looks like Parrish and the ACLU are going to duke it oput over this one

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=974450

LOS ANGELES - Voters in Lancaster, California, have overwhelmingly approved a measure allowing the City Council to continue opening its meetings with prayer.

Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris, who won re-election Tuesday, had urged residents to vote for the prayer initiative even if they didn't want to vote for him. The prayer measure passed by a more than 3-1 margin while Parris collected 57 percent of the vote, defeating four challengers.

The mayor says he's pleased with the election results. "We have made enormous strides in the city of Lancaster," he shares. "We've dropped crime by 31 percent -- and I think a lot of it has to do that we are a city that prays for guidance every single day."

RexParris.jpgThere's nothing wrong, says Parris, with Christian prayers before City Council meetings. "For over 200 years the leaders of this country have been praying in the name of Jesus Christ and seeking to fashion a nation that would be pleasing to him," he points out. As for the Council meeting prayers, as outlined in the voter-approved initiative, Parris explains: "We will continue to have an invocation at the beginning of every City Council meeting, [and] whoever is at the lecturn praying...can pray to whatever deity they recognize -- including Jesus Christ."

Click the link above to read more

Looks like Parrish and the ACLU are going to duke it oput over this one

Shouldn't this go in the already running thread about gods and gov't? :silly:

But anyway, he has no leg to stand on. Many of the founding fathers were deists anyway; not that it even matters. Church. State. Separate. I don't understand why some people have such a hard time with having their faith be their own deal as opposed to it being part of government.

Wonder how the voters in Alabama felt about segregated schools.

Who cares if it's Constitutional, when there's a majority?

Yup segregation is exactly the same thing as praying before a meeting. Pretty soon they are going to take atheist and stone them to death if they aren't stopped right now!

Wonder how the voters in Alabama felt about segregated schools.

Who cares if it's Constitutional, when there's a majority?

Ballot Measure I asks whether the city should continue its policy of randomly selecting clergy from different faiths to deliver the invocation at council meetings, "without restricting the content based on their beliefs, including references to Jesus Christ."

Actually, if they are not favoring one religion over another, it can be argued that this is quite in line with the constitution.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the major hand, praying doesn't harm me. Even when you involve a religion that I don't follow. In fact, it can be a galvanizing and unifying experience. On the other hand, I have felt excluded and awkward at times when this happens. You very much feel like "the other" and I've heard too many Christian prayers that damn and blame others or at minimum deny them a seat at the table.

It's a bad feeling to know you're unwelcome.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the major hand, praying doesn't harm me. Even when you involve a religion that I don't follow. In fact, it can be a galvanizing and unifying experience. On the other hand, I have felt excluded and awkward at times when this happens. You very much feel like "the other" and I've heard too many Christian prayers that damn and blame others or at minimum deny them a seat at the table.

It's a bad feeling to know you're unwelcome.

Prayer is a good thing, and there's nothing wrong with it in a public forum as long as these prople are true to their word that people at the lecturn can invoke whatever deity they choose. There did seem to be an emphasis that "we can pray to Jesus Christ if we want to". I wonder how they'd react if I began my talk with, "We beseech thee, O Satan!". Or insisted they listen to my simple but firm affirmation of atheism before I got to whatever my point was. If they're honest enough to accept that without repercussions then I'm fine with this.

Actually, if they are not favoring one religion over another, it can be argued that this is quite in line with the constitution.

the SCOTUS and other courts have stated numerous times that for first amendment purposes, atheism counts as a religion. since prayer to a god directly contradicts atheism, the government is constitutionally bound to avoid coercing people to pray.

of course, the christian majority hates facing that fact, and as a result we get politicians violating it all the time, and the atheists get called jerks for pointing it out.

the SCOTUS and other courts have stated numerous times that for first amendment purposes, atheism counts as a religion. since prayer to a god directly contradicts atheism, the government is constitutionally bound to avoid coercing people to pray.

of course, the christian majority hates facing that fact, and as a result we get politicians violating it all the time, and the atheists get called jerks for pointing it out.

Not sure how it violates the constitution still. Athiesm would be allowed a spot for an opening prayer.

The Supreme Court opens with a prayer. So does Congress.

They sure do, and it really is a great thing. One of the coolest political sites I think I have seen, was in 2001 when the congress sttod together and sang God Bless America. One of those "No atheist in a foxhole" moments. It is a shame we only come together after a tragedy; and only for a short time before business as usual.

That logic seems a bit excessive. By that reasoning, allowing an Imam to pray contradicts Hinduism (because Islam is monotheistic and rejects the multiple gods of Hinduism).

when the congress sttod together and sang God Bless America. One of those "No atheist in a foxhole" moments.

LOL at the idea of most of Congress in a Foxhole.

Any why would you dishonor the service of the many atheist servicemen and women with a comment like that?

l_cb7c9d41926149d2a606cf36a9e9a87d.jpg

Archived