Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Poll: Who Wins an Obama vs Palin Matchup?

AsburySkinsFan

Please oh please nominate Sarah Palin!!!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/13/cnn-poll-who-wins-an-obama-vs-palin-matchup/?fbid=fqhyCpa0_vl

She may be the best known Republican politician considering a bid for the White House, but Sarah Palin comes in third in a hypothetical horserace for the next GOP presidential nomination, according to a new national poll. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday also indicates that President Barack Obama would top the former Alaska governor by double digits in a possible 2012 general election showdown.

The survey found that 24 percent of Republicans and Republican leaning Independents say they would most likely support Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor and 2008 GOP presidential candidate, in the battle for the 2012 GOP nomination. And 20 percent said they would back former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, who also ran for the White House in 2008. Palin, who was Sen. John McCain's running mate in the last presidential election, came in third place with 15 percent, a point ahead of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

According to the poll, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, another 2008 Republican presidential hopeful, would be in fifth place, with eight percent. Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour all register in the lower single digits in the hypothetical 2012 GOP presidential nomination matchup.

"Huckabee does best among women, regular church-goers, and Republicans who never attended college," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Romney gets better numbers among white collar Republicans and GOPers who attend church once a month or less. Palin does not win among any of those groups, despite the fact that she has a higher favorable rating among Republicans than Huckabee, Romney or Gingrich."

What about the hypothetical general election matchup in 2012 against President Obama?

The poll shows Obama topping Romney 53 percent to 45 percent, beating Huckabee 54 percent to 45 percent, defeating Gingrich 55 percent to 43 percent and topping Palin 55 percent to 42.

"It is important to remember that at this stage of the game, candidate matchups are largely driven by name recognition, and at least a quarter of all Americans are unfamiliar with Romney, Huckabee and Gingrich. As a result, Obama has an 8- to-12-point edge over each of them in hypothetical matchups," adds Holland. "But in a previous CNN poll, Obama managed no better than a tie against an unnamed Republican."

But there is something more than name recognition at work in Obama's big lead over Palin.

"Palin is almost as well known as Obama, but the general public appears to have some doubts about what they have seen of her so far," says Holland.

The poll found that 61 percent of Americans think Palin is not a typical politician, and half see her as honest and trustworthy. But 54 percent say they don't agree with her on the issues, 56 percent say she is not a strong and decisive leader, and 69 percent say she is not qualified to be president. Palin is popular in the South and in rural areas, but her unfavorable rating is at or near 60 percent among women, suburbanites, Independents, and in the Northeast and West.

The poll was conducted April 9-11, with 1,008 adult Americans, including 907 registered voters, questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points and plus or minus 4.5 percentage points for the sample of 498 Republicans and Republican leaning Independents.

Some pretty interesting numbers on this poll: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/13/rel7d.pdf

"Palin is almost as well known as Obama, but the general public appears to have some doubts about what they have seen of her so far," says Holland.

You can reverse "Palin" and "Obama" in the sentence above, and it remains just as true, of not moreso. :ols:

Laugh it up now. I don't see one out there right now, but if we find an articulate, charismatic person with Palin's staunchly conservative values, he will win, and win large.

Politics in this country is a giant pendulum, and you know what happens after a good hard swing to the left.

Unless the GOP has a candidate with the personality of Bubba (or the Gipper) - then I seriously doubt the incumbent president will lose in 2012.

Probably not.

By then there will be mandatory contributions by every man, woman and child to the DNC. That warchest should be insurmountable, but we'll see.

You can reverse "Palin" and "Obama" in the sentence above, and it remains just as true, of not moreso. :ols:

Palin is popular in the South and in rural areas,

:evilg:

:D

Unless the GOP has a candidate with the personality of Bubba (or the Gipper) - then I seriously doubt the incumbent president will lose in 2012.

I wish we could re-animate Ronnie and run him. I was surprised, even though I voted for him, how much I ended up liking that guy (and he did crap that made me cringe too).

Laugh it up now. I don't see one out there right now, but if we find an articulate, charismatic person with Palin's staunchly conservative values, he will win, and win large.

Politics in this country is a giant pendulum, and you know what happens after a good hard swing to the left.

If you were talking about congress I'd agree with you but there is no way Palin defeats Obama. You think the educated vote left when McCain ran against Obama? The educated vote would be almost non-existent if Palin was at the top of the ticket. She's ignorant HH and like her or not it's the truth. McCain's campaign people have said it, her comments demonstrate it, and debates against Obama would show it.

Especially being that she'd be running against a man with Presidential experience versus her own resume which is highlighted by executive experience she couldn't handle.

She's the liberal dream candidate.

If you were talking about congress I'd agree with you but there is no way Palin defeats Obama. You think the educated vote left when McCain ran against Obama? The educated vote would be almost non-existent if Palin was at the top of the ticket. She's ignorant HH and like her or not it's the truth. McCain's campaign people have said it, her comments demonstrate it, and debates against Obama would show it.

Especially being that she'd be running against a man with Presidential experience versus her own resume which is highlighted by executive experience she couldn't handle.

She's the liberal dream candidate.

If I said Palin would defeat Obama, I don't recall it.

What I said was, a staunch conservative, one that is well spoken, and doesn't write on his hands, can, and I believe will, defeat Obama.

Mock the Tea Parties all you want (not you specifically.) Write off those of us who are steaming over being ordered to purchase a commercial product. Forget those of us who don't WANT the federal government buying banks and car companies with OUR dollars.

And write off those of us who bought Obama's bull**** the first time around. I eventually did. I won't do it again. And I'm not alone. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Mock the Tea Parties all you want (not you specifically.) Write off those of us who are steaming over being ordered to purchase a commercial product. Forget those of us who don't WANT the federal government buying banks and car companies with OUR dollars.

And write off those of us who bought Obama's bull**** the first time around. I eventually did. I won't do it again. And I'm not alone. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I mock the tea parties because they are mostly a bunch of morons that think the government is the cause of all their problems. How much would you care to wager that if I attended and asked "what caused the meltdown of the financial system" I'd be 5 times as likely to hear "Community Reinvestment Act" than I am to hear "collateralized debt obligations"

Am I supposed to applaud that ignorance because they enjoy a large attendance?

What I want to know is who really thinks Rick Santorum should be President.
I think he's got a cool name. I'd vote for him on that basis.

I think his name makes me think of a mental hospital.

And by Jumbo's reasoning, the GOP should nominate Rock Cartwright.

Archived