Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Poll: Who Wins an Obama vs Palin Matchup?

AsburySkinsFan

Maybe reality sinks in once they take office

“Would you rather have Barack Obama or George W. Bush as President right now?” The answer was Obama 48%, Bush 46%, within the ±3.9% margin of error. Consider what a close result this is, compared to Bush’s amazingly low ratings at the end of his administration.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_4141.pdf

You have to remember that when I voted for Bush I was a very Right leaning ideologue, so when Bush beat Gore I was giddy with the prospects of the salvation of our nation, only to get W. As such the burn I felt was severe indeed, needless to say I have not gone into the Obama administration with the same giddiness. Am I glad he was elected? You betcha, but that doesn't mean I'm suffering under the same delusions that I had with W, as such the sting of disappointment with something that Obama does or doesn't do won't be nearly as strong; while at the same time I get to sit back and smile when he does the things I like.

BTW, on another note and not directed to you; I think people make a nearly continual mistake in thinking that when I defend a Democrat I normally am doing so because I feel that the attack is unwarranted or illegitimate, or just stupid. Personally I don't view that as being supportive of Democrats just attacking an idiotic attack. It just so happens that a lot of the time lately those stupid, illegitimate, and unwarranted attacks seem to be coming from those on the Right.;)

Maybe reality sinks in once they take office

“Would you rather have Barack Obama or George W. Bush as President right now?” The answer was Obama 48%, Bush 46%, within the ±3.9% margin of error. Consider what a close result this is, compared to Bush’s amazingly low ratings at the end of his administration.

Or, compare it to the results of the election.

Or, compare it to the results of the election.

yup, knowing twa, a 3.9% error rate probably means the real numbers are...

Obama- 52%

Bush- 42%

Edit: He did win in a lanslide, electorally... which is another reason that I think that the electoral college is obsolete and should be done away with. It really doesn't provide a true reflection.

yup, knowing twa, a 3.9% error rate probably means the real numbers are...

Obama- 52%

Bush- 42%

Edit: He did win in a lanslide, electorally... which is another reason that I think that the electoral college is obsolete and should be done away with. It really doesn't provide a true reflection.

Commie Federalism hater:silly:..I like the electoral college

Margin of error rarely goes to the extreme in both directions

Oh goodness no, the electoral college is there for a reason, the same way that Congress is there for a reason...to protect us from ourselves. The electoral college is not there to provide a true reflection, otherwise Gore would have won...or did he?

We'll never know......*cue X-File theme music.....

Now back to see how my game is going in the "moon landing hoax" thread. :D

Commie Federalism hater:silly:..I like the electoral college

Margin of error rarely goes to the extreme in both directions

But it's not impossible, mind you I'd be more certain of the case if this were Kilmer... but with you the danger of jiggered reality is only extremely likely not an extreme possibility.

I think I'd set that alpha for at around .05.

Getting slightly off-topic... (besides, I'm in a silly mood) The electoral college was useful for two important reasons- Poor communication and low literacy. Given that we've corrected these the need for it has been greatly diminished. I think it is an artifact best fondly remembered.

Election 2012 is already over, ESPECIALLY if Republicans capture Congress

OFA is already setting up the re-election infrastructure across the country.

President Obama will most likely have 1 billion dollars to spend, no primary opponent, and an "improved" economy as the winds in his sail.

The Iraq War has been over since June 2008, and nobody on the left gives a damn about Afghanistan

The President will probably win with Reagan '84 like numbers, if he has a GOP congressional foil, and if he has a Dem Congress will win with Bush 88 like numbers, after the GOP tears itself apart in the primary.

Romney has no moral authority on health care

While I love Ron Paul, he has no chance

Sarah Palin = 50 state sweep for the President

It's very hard for me to imagine Palin winning the GOP nomination - if I'm wrong and she does, I only see her beating out Obama if the economy is strikingly worse than it is right now.

This is a simplistic approach to answering the OPs question, but imo Dem and Repub votes largely cancel each other out, the remaining voters are apathetic and vote primarily on the current economy and candidate charisma.

Getting slightly off-topic... (besides, I'm in a silly mood) The electoral college was useful for two important reasons- Poor communication and low literacy. Given that we've corrected these the need for it has been greatly diminished. I think it is an artifact best fondly remembered.

That's my (admittedly completely without facts) theory as to why it was created.

In Olden Days, it wasn't possible for a Presidential Candidate to get his message to the people all across the country. So what they'd do is, they'd get together and decide that Farmer John has a good head on his shoulders, and they'd send him off to Philly or wherever, and Farmer John would listen to the candidates, and then he'd vote for the county.

(Although I do wonder why they didn't simply have Congress do that job.)

Archived