Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Colt Brennan Sees Potential In A Familiar Situation

TSO

During his brief and relatively unformed Redskins career, quarterback Colt Brennan has been so popular among a devoted group of fans that it's strange to think of him as hard luck case. But from a certain perspective, that's exactly what he is.

Since being drafted in the sixth round of the 2008 draft, Brennan has had one impressive preseason, one disappointing preseason, and, in his words, "three pretty significant surgeries in a year and a half" that culminated with a stint on injured reserve last year.

This offseason, Brennan has been working hard to get himself back in shape, to prove that the flashes he showed in his first preseason weren't just flukes. "I spent two months of my offseason down in Arizona at a facility called Fischer Sports," Brennan says, "and basically invested two months, five to six days a week of just reshaping and rebuilding my body."

It wasn't how Brennan spent his first NFL offseason, but the results last preseason frustrated him so much that doing something like this seemed obvious. "What I've realized is that the off-season is definitely for you to relax, but it's also for you to maintain and also grow physically," he says, "you know, become stronger and faster, and that's what I did this year. I acted like I was a top player in the NFL, as far as how I trained."

The result of that effort is that Brennan is healthy, his hips work properly, and he's in the best shape of his professional career. "I feel like this is going to be the first time that the NFL truly going to see what I am as a quarterback," he says, "physically and mentally."

The question is, does he have time for that to matter here in Washington.

Click link for rest:

http://blog.redskins.com/2010/03/19/colt-brennan-sees-a-familiar-situation/

Ohhhh snap, QB controversy! :pfft:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

... in a few months, CB5 will be the most popular Jet-Ski instructor in Hawaii. I wish him success at his new work place!

I think he could kill it in the AFL/UFL/CFL/whatever

this guy has been the biggest zero in recent Redskins history.

I can't think of a player that has been written about more and done less.

Seeing that the previous Coach had 0 qualifications for being Head Coach, and Colt had 0 chance at putting an end to the JC experiment, I guess your right!

But, then again, here's the 3rd higest rated passer in pre season 08, QB RTG 110.0, being talked about by the Coach with the highest winning % of all time!

Unless your madden, save your 0's!

this guy has been the biggest zero in recent Redskins history.

I can't think of a player that has been written about more and done less.

Ya Dog. Just wait till he does something, The C of C thread is already so overloaded the pages don't match. LOL

First thing Shanahan said he wanted from his QB when he got here: Accuracy and leadership.

Two things that Brennan is known for.

If I've seen one thing this offseason from the front office, its the pulling away from the "grass is always greener" with other players approach. Just because there is an expensive player out there in the draft or free agency doesn't mean they're right for the team or any more likely to suceed than the players currently on the roster.

Why spend millions on a first round QB until you know what you have in house. Especially when the cheap, in house player has more impressive stats than any of the QB's coming out this year. Lots of people forget Brennan was slated to be a first round pick his junior year. Talent doesn't just disappear. It makes no sense to not see what he can bring to the table.

As I've stated before and I'll state again, I'd love for every QB on our roster to play solid and look good during preseason so whoever we have start plays well, and everyone else can either be used as great depth or great trade bait.

That's the best case scenario for us, and it's not so ridiculously far-fetched. I don't understand why anyone wants any of our guys to fail.

Looking forward to this preseason, then. If he's for real, we'll all be able to tell. I don't want to hear this crap about his potential if he's still 3rd on the depth chart by the fourth preseason game.

Right now he hasn't proven squat against anyone. Put him in against some first stringers so we can see what's really good.

I think he has an outside shot at holding down the number 3 spot, maybe even getting a little time ahead of a rookie. The question is, assuming we draft a QB and Rex is a lock for the veteran backup spot, do you keep Campbell as the clipboard guy? Would he even accept that? If we don't draft a QB, then Colt's chances improve dramatically. Two out of the four QBs currently on the roster probably won't be here in September and I trust this front office to make the right choices one way or another.

First thing Shanahan said he wanted from his QB when he got here: Accuracy and leadership.

Two things that Brennan is known for.

If I've seen one thing this offseason from the front office, its the pulling away from the "grass is always greener" with other players approach. Just because there is an expensive player out there in the draft or free agency doesn't mean they're right for the team or any more likely to suceed than the players currently on the roster.

Why spend millions on a first round QB until you know what you have in house. Especially when the cheap, in house player has more impressive stats than any of the QB's coming out this year. Lots of people forget Brennan was slated to be a first round pick his junior year. Talent doesn't just disappear. It makes no sense to not see what he can bring to the table.

Leadership?!?!?!

This guy is a kid!

He takes Portis' ride to the car wash man! Gets it all detailed and nice for him man!

Whats he leading? The practice squad!

Seeing that the previous Coach had 0 qualifications for being Head Coach, and Colt had 0 chance at putting an end to the JC experiment, I guess your right!

But, then again, here's the 3rd higest rated passer in pre season 08, QB RTG 110.0, being talked about by the Coach with the highest winning % of all time!

Unless your madden, save your 0's!

314425.jpg

Leadership?!?!?!

This guy is a kid!

He takes Portis' ride to the car wash man! Gets it all detailed and nice for him man!

Whats he leading? The practice squad!

here's his scouting report

Smart, heady player. Quick release, and extremely accurate, especially on the short to intermediate routes like the quick out and 15 yd. dig. Moves well in the pocket, displaying the mobility to step up and slide to avoid pressure and buy time. Leads receivers well and places the ball in time with their breaks and route running. A natural, fierce competitor, with excellent leadership skills and the respect of his teammates. Possess good ability to read and diagnose coverages, overall smart, emotional, and savvy leader, with the potential to succeed in the right offense. Has moved on and repaired past issues, becoming and local idol in Hawaii. Threw well at the combine, and was credited with 100% accuracy.

He also LED all rookie QB's when he first came to the NFL. from wikipedia:

Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason .[22] He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions

He also LED all rookie QB's when he first came to the NFL. from wikipedia:

Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason .[22] He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions

Why didn't you post the section about his 2009 preseason? Is that because he was the 4th best QB out of 4 QBs and was clearly outperformed by rookie Chase Daniel? :whoknows:

Why didn't you post the section about his 2009 preseason? Is that because he was the 4th best QB out of 4 QBs and was clearly outperformed by rookie Chase Daniel? :whoknows:

I actually wanted to keep Chase over Colt. I was pretty ticked when New Orleans scooped him up, when we could have kept both by stashing Brennan on IR and keeping Chase as our #3.

As bad as our season was this year, I would have liked to have seen how either of those two would have fared in a real game.

Here's a post from another thread

Originally Posted by pastha40

Exactly right. Mcdaniel had beat out Brennan for the 3rd spot, which would have put brennan in the 4th spot, practice squad, or the bread lines.

Since Mcdaniel had the 3rd spot and was evenutally cut there is no chance Colt would have have made the final 53 last year if wasnt injured.

I seriously doubt he makes it this year...he will be 27 midway through training camp and has yet to play in a regular season game.

I'm gonna defer to this guy. I can tell he knows what he's talking about because not only did he get Chase's last name wrong, but he also forgot to realize that Chase was running the same simplified version of the offense in 09 that Brennan looked so great running the previous year in 08.

You want an objective look? In their respective rookie preseasons, both Chase and Colt ran Zorn's simplified offense. Colt ran it better, and was ranked as the third highest QB's of the preseason (highest of rookies). Do you remember anyone outside of Redskins fans talking about how "amazing" Chase looked after last year?

Then the team chose to keep him OVER Chase, even though he was injured, because they felt he has more potential and upside. THAT's the facts, It doesn't matter what ALMOST happened.

I'm gonna defer to this guy. I can tell he knows what he's talking about because not only did he get Chase's last name wrong, but he also forgot to realize that Chase was running the same simplified version of the offense in 09 that Brennan looked so great running the previous year in 08.

You want an objective look? In their respective rookie preseasons, both Chase and Colt ran Zorn's simplified offense. Colt ran it better, and was ranked as the third highest QB's of the preseason (highest of rookies). Do you remember anyone outside of Redskins fans talking about how "amazing" Chase looked after last year?

Then the team chose to keep him OVER Chase, even though he was injured, because they felt he has more potential and upside. THAT's the facts, It doesn't matter what ALMOST happened.

what does that have to do with colt looking awful in 09?

what does that have to do with colt looking awful in 09?

Just pointing out that Chase didn't "outplay him", he was running a simplified offense.

This is just my guess, but id say he didnt play well because he was injured. He knew he had extremely limited chances and was trying to play through the pain, but obviously he wasn't able to turn in nearly as good a performance as the previous year.

From Redskins Insider

Brennan aggravated a hamstring injury and also injured his knee while being sacked late in the fourth quarter of Thursday's 24-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville. Afterward, Brennan said the injuries were not considered serious.

In examining Brennan's left knee and hamstring, however, Redskins medical personnel apparently expressed further concern about a left hip injury that occurred Aug. 13 against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium. In April 2008, Brennan had surgery to repair a slightly torn labrum in his right hip.

Don't forget, in 09 he had that bet going with everyone in training camp in about how long he could go before paying someone to intercept him. And while he did throw some picks during the preseason games, when the coaching staff let him stay in and gave him a chance to make up for it he did by throwing a touchdown to Mitchell

Archived