Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Blog: Colt Brennan Sees Potential In A Familiar Situation

TSO

Leadership?!?!?!

This guy is a kid!

He takes Portis' ride to the car wash man! Gets it all detailed and nice for him man!

Whats he leading? The practice squad!

Sellers certainly didn't seem to have a problem with playing Robin to CP's Batman until the media start to pay some attention to him.

Go COLT:point2sky!!!

Just pointing out that Chase didn't "outplay him", he was running a simplified offense.

This is just my guess, but id say he didnt play well because he was injured. He knew he had extremely limited chances and was trying to play through the pain, but obviously he wasn't able to turn in nearly as good a performance as the previous year.

From Redskins Insider

Brennan aggravated a hamstring injury and also injured his knee while being sacked late in the fourth quarter of Thursday's 24-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville. Afterward, Brennan said the injuries were not considered serious.

In examining Brennan's left knee and hamstring, however, Redskins medical personnel apparently expressed further concern about a left hip injury that occurred Aug. 13 against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium. In April 2008, Brennan had surgery to repair a slightly torn labrum in his right hip.

Don't forget, in 09 he had that bet going with everyone in training camp in about how long he could go before paying someone to intercept him. And while he did throw some picks during the preseason games, when the coaching staff let him stay in and gave him a chance to make up for it he did by throwing a touchdown to Mitchell

i actually have nothing at all against brennan. i want whoever shanny picks.

but i hadnt heard that chase was running a simplified version of zorns system, while colt was running a more complex one. i'm sure its not impossible that it happened, given chase's inexperence, but i hadnt heard it.

It took him three off seasons to figure out that you have to train like a big time NFL star. Get this bum on the first boat back to the island. This is suppose to be a colt is great blog but if you read it he's lazy and can't stay healthy, yah that's the starter I want.

JASON CAMPBELL = WIN

CryBaby#5 = Average QB playing college teams that me and my highschool football team could beat

You realize this is the same crap we have heard for the past 5yrs. It took Jason getting injured and Todd (Forever Backup) Collins to step in, create a 4 game win streak and put us into the only post season this team has seen since we've had Jason. RIGHT, Jason = WIN. :puke:

Brennan was awesome to watch at Hawaii. I am still waiting for him to show me something in the NFL though.

That being said, let me also add that I would not be at all surprised to see him become a starter. He was a world-beater back in the day. A lot has been made about the level of competition he faced, but there is simply no way you put up numbers like he did without real talent.

On the other hand, I would not be all that surprised to see him riding the pine into early retirement either. It all depends on him. He will get a chance, and he needs to step up and show the moxy that got him drafted.

here's his scouting report

Smart, heady player. Quick release, and extremely accurate, especially on the short to intermediate routes like the quick out and 15 yd. dig. Moves well in the pocket, displaying the mobility to step up and slide to avoid pressure and buy time. Leads receivers well and places the ball in time with their breaks and route running. A natural, fierce competitor, with excellent leadership skills and the respect of his teammates. Possess good ability to read and diagnose coverages, overall smart, emotional, and savvy leader, with the potential to succeed in the right offense. Has moved on and repaired past issues, becoming and local idol in Hawaii. Threw well at the combine, and was credited with 100% accuracy.

He also LED all rookie QB's when he first came to the NFL. from wikipedia:

Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason .[22] He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions

Thank you for your clearification. There are apparently people that make up stories on this board just because they can, but are clueless. It is not always true that just because you're paying more for it that it turns out to be better than what you already have for less.

Leadership?!?!?!

This guy is a kid!

He takes Portis' ride to the car wash man! Gets it all detailed and nice for him man!

Whats he leading? The practice squad!

Wait did you just compare having fun off the field (acting like a normal human being without getting into any trouble) with on the field leadership? :doh:

JASON CAMPBELL = WIN

CryBaby#5 = Average QB playing college teams that me and my highschool football team could beat

Correction,

JC = WINless against Eaglets, Cowgurls, & Midgets this year = Unacceptable

CB = ?

He has yet to play in a regular season NFL game. If he gets the shot and fails then you can start reminiscing on your high school FB heyday fodder...

Brennan was awesome to watch at Hawaii. I am still waiting for him to show me something in the NFL though.

That being said, let me also add that I would not be at all surprised to see him become a starter. He was a world-beater back in the day. A lot has been made about the level of competition he faced, but there is simply no way you put up numbers like he did without real talent.

The level of competition he faced was relative. He didn't exactly have SEC talent on his side of the ball either. An average QB will put up good numbers in the run & shoot but an excellent QB will put up ridiculous videogame numbers. There's no comparison between Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan.

"What I've realized is that the off-season is definitely for you to relax, but it's also for you to maintain and also grow physically," he says, "you know, become stronger and faster, and that's what I did this year. I acted like I was a top player in the NFL, as far as how I trained."

Here in lies the problem with Brennan.

I was waiting to hear from Brennan what his perspective is, and it sounds good. He has come to camp stronger and bigger than before. I think the year off has done Colt good, and he won't take this chance for granted. He has not had a legit shot to start until now. Like he points out its not something new for him, he's beaten out others before and I think he will again.

My gut tells me that this kid is going to surprise a lot of the doubters on this board, and have a good year.

One thing I really don't understand is how any real skins fan wouldn't want CB to do well. I don't care if so called "cult" members bother you or aren't real skins fans, a real skins fan wants the kid to do well.

Look, the Oline has to be rebuilt, it just has to. If they go QB early in the draft it would be insane. So that leaves us with the QB we have, and for the love of God I would rather see what CB can do than watch another year of JC missing deep open receivers, holding the ball too long, doing his check downs and hoping our defense can hold back the other team enough so we can win. And I certainly don't want good Rex / Bad Rex behind center.

So the best option for the skins near term success is to draft OL help, CB5 plays really well, and the team takes a big step forward under Shanahan. Is CB5 a sure thing? Of course not, but as a skins fan I am rooting for him to do well, and with the new coordinator and coaches make the offense better than it has been in years.

Exactly my point. Lazy.

I saw that clip on Bradford before and again and again. I began to realize that in the NFL, a 3-4 defenses would be all over him when he's in the shot gun. The defense would rush him up the middle and take away his hot reads in the flat. Can Bradford translate his average speed from the moment he takes the snap until he actually passes the ball? He reminds me of Campbell in that sense. This is probably why most experts have Clausen ahead of Bradford because Clausen has played under center with success. And the times that Clausen was in the shot gun, he was quicker in reading the defenses and getting rid of the ball.

So playing under center as your staple formation makes you better prepared to play in the shot gun.

This is not to say that Bradford can't adjust to the pro game, but what it does say is that he will have a bigger learning curve than Clausen.

I really think the Skins will have to open up the competition at QB with the QBs they have in-house. Investing in a QB with the 4th pick is not smart when we need a better offensive line.

Archived