Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins interested in NOTHING!!!

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I can't say anything right now other than that if our guys have another crappy year, and the big names that we passed up do well for their teams, our front office is gonna get a lot of crap.

Dude, I got some really bad news for you - we WILL have another crappy year - in fact we're actually planning on it!

Seriously, its not to hard to read between the lines - the Redskins FO is NOT making moves to be good next year - they've already written it off. That's why they got rid of a bunch of players that will be no good in a few years. They are working on a minimum of a 2-3 year plan.

Lets say it a different way - "We WILL NOT make the playoffs next year." We all get this. The change though is we aren't going by what were really false hopes. The idea that we can buy a potential SB team, and certain playoff team each year was flat out BUNK. We were sold a bill of goods.

The idea now is to build REAL hope - unfortunately this is gonna take a few years. Personally, I'm thrilled with the approach.

For the first time in 10 years, I believe it when I hear that the front office has a plan. It is also the first time in 10 years that I believe the front office actually knows how to follow through on said plan. I love this offseason.

There really just isn't much value out there right now. After the top couple FAs, who are being tremendously overvalued right now by their new teams, the smart move is to let the market shake out. I am not disappointed right now. I would like to get foote at a reasonable number and Rolle would have been nice as a top 7 or 8 paid safety but the FO is showing the type of restraint and calm that suggests there is a real plan in place.

I understand this method of madness works for some people, but how often does this work for a 4-12 football that doesn't want to be 4-12 anymore?

Madness is repeating the same action and expecting a different result. Good teams sign a high-profile player or two that fit their system when they feel they are a player or two away from a SB run and have properly built a roster. The 'Skins are light years away from a SB run. They need to build for the long haul. This season's going to be tough, but you need to crack a few eggs to make am omelet.

I can't say anything right now other than that if our guys have another crappy year, and the big names that we passed up do well for their teams, our front office is gonna get a lot of crap.
Such big names we're missing out on.

Larry Foote, Tony Pashos, Antonio Bryant.

These guys are all other teams' Marcus Washingtons.

God forbid we don't shell out big dollars in a barren FA market for guys like that.

Such big names we're missing out on.

This has been my thought the whole time; that there really aren't awesome free agents out there. Rolle wasn't even the best safety on his team when he became a free agent. The only one out there I liked was Dansby really but I wasn't SOLD on him if that makes any sense. More people are going to be cut before next season as well.

RELAX this is'nt Vinny saying "we have a plan" these men are professionals with vision. I have been reading posts here for the last couple of years and I am blown away by all of these armchair GM's sitting in their mothers basements freaking out about our lack of activity on the FA market thus far. You have been spoon fed all of this offseason hype for so long your like junkies in need of a fix.

Let things play out. More players will be released and hit the market and we wont be hamstrung because we signed the first three available linemen who walked through our door. Beyond that there will be a measure of commitment to this franchise and these colors, not simply another overpaid underachiever who comes to DC to get fat and happy.

All these player are assumed to be garbage, but are upgrades over the players we have at the positions we would sign them to upgrade. We didn't have to let them leave to prove anything to anyone.

Gotta go, be back tommorrow.

The issue at hand is how much of an upgrade are they really? Remember that this is a sellers market, where the limited, serviceable UFA's out there can call their own price. Is it worth throwing millions of dollars at players that are on par with what we currently have?

Lack of depth at certain areas does have me concerned but i do believe that they will sign a vet to fill the LT and RT vacancies before the draft.

This post is soooo out of line.... we're not even midway through March yet and people are already complaining about the FA period that isn't even a week in yet!!

C'mon seriously?!?!?!?! Be a true fan and wait until the whole offseason is over until you begin to evaluate and wait AT LEAST until week 6 until you begin to judge

Thanks Kindly,

A True Fan

I don't really see the problem with what I said...I wasn't complaining about, judging, or even evaluating the front office's approach at all, i was more speculating as to how we'd react after this coming season if we kept with this approach. I was merely stating that this forum will get incredibly steamed at the front office if we keep with this approach, and our team does poorly even after one season. I pray to god this won't happen, but I can see it now... We'll say things such as "well maybe if our front office did anything to attend to our needs over the off-season we would make progress." I don't even think these judgements would be rational, I'm saying it's just a reason to cause the fanbase to become impatient after only a year into rebuilding, and an impatient fan-base is something that in my opinion has killed the team in the past.

All that being said, we've got a long way to go, and I'm still waiting and hoping we see some big changes around Redskins park.

One true fan to another,

Mark

edit: aaand it looks like we signed an NT as I was writing this post. Woo!

I am a lot more in favor of the approach to free agency this year than last year watching a guaranteed 40 million going to a player of questionable worth and work ethic, who reported in bad shape and barely played half the season.

It appears that da Bears are where the Skins were under Vinny: that is, no draft picks, absolutely nothing to brag about on the OLine and spending big free agent money on a guy who will have little or no impact on their win-loss record. If I didn't know better, I would think Vinny was advising the Bears.

It's like this. Allen reported being in contact with the agents of over 80 free agents. I don't think anyone expects them to sign 80 guys in the first 5 days of free agency for a 53 man roster. Plus, we already know he's looking at OLine: something Vinny never did. So I'm good with this free agency. It's nice to see the doctors in charge of the asylum again.

It's been what, FOUR DAYS into free agency? Let's at least wait until we see what happens the rest of the offseason before we come to any type of conclusions.

Alot of players are cut/signed after the draft and before training camp. The same calibre of players that we've had visiting us and left without a contract being signed. The only marquee players this year have been Dansby and Peppers.

The FA class this year is weak the draft is strong, next years draft depleated by early entries this year. Possiable 400 FAs next year with cap room if cap returns. I know it is hard to fathom but we really aren't that far away couple more cogs on OL and Bradford we are sitting pretty. Even if we stick with JC we will be competive. It sure would be nice to be in the super bowl next year like a giant F U dallass but realistically it ain't happening. So am I upset we didn't over pay for a head case that plays becuase he has too, no. Just glad he isn't in the NFCE at all.

The bears are in desperation mode, lovie is on his last leg and it amazes me with all the euphoria nobody sees the train wreck in store for chi town. Jay (pick) cutler w martz..... Peppers rich and coasting pack n vikes in division.... Kind of reminds me if some of our own offseasons and it will be bad.

Rolle is really just average. People complained that we didn't sign him as our FS, but the guy sucks at FS. He can't play the deep ball and is struggling to salvage his career after being drafted as a CB in the 1st round.

This is completely off topic but I keep seeing this and I want to say something. Was Rolle drafted as a CB? Technically yes. But back then, well before that draft, people were already saying that his hips and speed weren't suited to be an NFL corner and he would probably have to be moved to safety. But that he was so talented that he still had great value and tremendous potential. So it's not like he busted out as a CB or anything.

And ftr, I don't give a **** about Rolle and I didn't really want him. Incorrect history just nags at me so I'm pretty douchey about it.

This is completely off topic but I keep seeing this and I want to say something. Was Rolle drafted as a CB? Technically yes. But back then, well before that draft, people were already saying that his hips and speed weren't suited to be an NFL corner and he would probably have to be moved to safety. But that he was so talented that he still had great value and tremendous potential. So it's not like he busted out as a CB or anything.

And ftr, I don't give a **** about Rolle and I didn't really want him. Incorrect history just nags at me so I'm pretty douchey about it.

He was the 2nd corner taken (after Pacman) and was drafted 8th overall to be a lockdown corner for Arizona, after a four year All American career at Miami. Maybe people questioned his hips and speed, but he was still drafted to shut down one side for the Cardinals.

He slid up and down the depth chart his first three years before Arizona finally decided to try him at safety and spend the 15th overall pick on DRC.

Then at safety, he proved to be about average, even with DRC and Adrian Wilson in the secondary around him, before Arizona finally just released him because they didn't want to pay his roster bonus.

If that's not busting at his draft position, I don't know what is. Maybe not Ryan Leaf level of busting, but he's still a pretty big disappointment for what Arizona hoped to get out of him.

I kind of like being able to come to work and talk with the guys who root for other teams, and hear their bickering about "over-paying", or WHY DID WE DO THAT... :ols:

Even one guy said: "Why can't we be like the Redskins are this offseason, cutting dead weight and sitting back to see whose left"

Needless to say, I fell out of my chair when I heard that!

I'm loving this offseason. Just because it's there's no salary cap THIS year, doesn't mean that the salary cap is gone forever. If we had signed Dansby or Rolle, (both of which were grossly overpayed for the quality of player that they really are btw. Rolle, the highest paid safety in NFL history? That sounds like an Archuleta contract to me) we'd be tied down financially when the cap comes back into play. Time and time again, we've been burnt by long, poorly structured contracts. This year we took advantage of the no Cap by dumping all that "dead weight" from those crappy contracts and getting down to a lower salary. Let's face it, we aren't one or two impact FA's from contending. Let's build the right way: through the draft. The right FA's will come along eventually and the ones that we let walk out the door (Pashos, Foote, Clifton) either wanted longer deals or a chance to start for more than one year, neither of which I am sure the FO could guarantee.

The Skins should at least be looking at Nate Kaeding or Neil Rackers for the kicking job. In an uncapped year, why not scoop up a FA kicker and cross that off of the list?

Maybe their should be a few fans strategically placed in the front office to inform Shanahan and Allen about some of the teams shortcomings the last few years? Apparently the only player Shanahan has seen play on film is Jason Campbell. Kinda makes you wonder how they released 10 guys if he never even saw them play?

I've been critical of this approach to free agency since it became apparent we were changing the business dynamic around here and remain so.

For the past decade we've held a competitive advantage over 31 other teams out there and caught the attention of everyone in the league because we were willing to spend in free agency. The reason I supported past years in FA is because it showed me that we were willing to do what it took to win. Did we win all the time? No. Did other players want to come here? Yes.

The NFL is a business. Players want to get paid for there services and they should be. Owners want to pull a profit on there team investments and they should. There is a balance between the two but in a perfect world to me the balance is 50-50, we don't want to be grouped in with 31 other teams. The only people who seem to care about Redskins history are the fans, the current players probably don't want to come to Maryland and play here when they could go to sunny Florida or to teams on the verge of championships like New England. Our devision rivals are great teams with tons more talent then we have. We had to have an advantage and the advantage we used was money. We didn't make perfect choices for FA's we brought in but what team does?

With this offseason approach the question I have today is where are we going? Is this a sign that Snyder is turning into an owner like the Los Angeles Clippers owner who is more interested in saving money then winning a championship or is this really a sign that were falling in line with other teams in the league and just want to be mixed in with the other teams crowds? The answer to me is not clear but I don't think it's a good idea to go from "we spend on everyone" to "we spend on no one" because the fact is Snyder isn't going to cut the fans a price break as a result. Does anyone really think the money we didn't spend on FA's this year will come back to the fans of the team somehow? Is he going to cut prices on anything? I doubt it. So what does this mean for us long term?

Well to me it means that the 2010 season's likely to suck and were not going to be competitive. We all want to be competitive and have the playoffs as a possibility. Were not going to get there within the division, the Cowboys, the Eagles, and the Giants are better teams then we have here today. We do not have an offensive line today, we have too many question marks at QB, WR, RB and just about every position to really be competitive this year. Our best shot at being competitive this year would have been to bring in players with talent in FA and we missed that opportunity. So what will the 2010 season bring? Another losing year, another wasted effort for the team, a lost advantage we rightfully earned from the other 31 other teams, or something else? I don't know. What I do know is we could have improved the team in FA and we choose not to. No fans of the team should be pleased with this approach unless this shows it is the right thing to do. I don't see that happening.

Archived