Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins interested in NOTHING!!!

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So how do you plan on filling the loss of 10 players with 5 picks on a 4-12 football team? Suck next year, and get more draft picks?

It's still quite early and we'll get bodies, they just won't all be pro bowlers, which is okay for a patient rebuilding phase.

And someone in another thread opined that the '11 FA class might be huge. I don't know if that's true but if so it doesn't make sense to lock in average players for years now, when next year we could be locking in much better quality FAs. Think of this year like a lousy draft class where we're not looking to trade next year's better class's picks on picks this year.

Signing marginal players to long-term contracts based on immediate need has been a huge problem. We're being more circumspect and choosy and this is great for long-term success.

I am loving this offseason. Sure it has been boring, but it is quite refreshing to see the Skins not overpaying FAs and taking on bad contracts, especially in such a weak market. It is also nice to see them dump some bad contracts. I am extremely happy the Peppers to DC rumors didn't pan out.

I know many fans point to their being no cap this year and think the Skins should buy anybody worthwhile, but signings this year will still have an impact down the road if/when the cap is reinstated as expected. Also if the Skins continue this prudent approach and keep their cap number down moving forward, as I expect considering the lack of quality UFA available, then next season if a CBA and new cap are reinstated then the Skins will have plenty of cap room in a loaded UFA market.

So how do you plan on filling the loss of 10 players with 5 picks on a 4-12 football team? Suck next year, and get more draft picks?

I expect us to either trade a player for a draft pick this year or trade out of the #4 spot with a team that wants Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Clausen, etc..

And I don't expect this team to be good next year simply because it's going to be a rebuilding year with the vast majority of the new players on this team being rookies either from the draft or UDFA's.

Bryant is an upgrade, Foote is an upgrade, Pashos, Parker, all upgrades, and not players that would've demanded out of this world contracts. Damn if you aren't going to generalize my entire thread without even thinking about the overall point.

Figures...

:ols: Figures you'd start a drama thread but i'm not here to trade barbs.

Foote would be an obvious upgrade at IMLB and what the situation is there I don't know.

Antonio Bryant is 29 and injury plagued. Upgrade? When healthy, yes but you're rolling the dice.

Pashos is coming off injury and not a fit for a ZBS team. There's a reason he's not here.

"Fast" Willie Parker isn't fast and can't stay healthy anymore. Remember that Shanny came from the AFC, and he's seen more of Parker than you and I put together.

You and the vast majority of this board have to detox from trying to grab all the FA's out there, no matter if they are good fits, on their last legs or simply bad. These players in the UFA market have serious downsides to them. Been saying that for months now, but not many people wanted to see the truth.

This is the world without a CBA. It's your first time seeing it, to me its deja vu.

The problem was the Redskins were not even 50% right on FA's and that caused them to continue to lose. Thankfully we do have an owner who won't accept losing and has backed off.

I am sure if Shanalen thought that one of those guys available would have improved a position they would have signed them. Unlike before where they just signed them regardless. The old team would have signed Peppers this year, would the Skins really need Peppers for that much commitment?

Added to that fact, this team is building for more than this year. And maybe that suffering does not sit well with those of us who were less than satisfied again with the results in win and losses. You said you would allow three years to fully gauge them, yet five days into FA your coming unglued. It's okay change is needed and hard to accept.

3 days, 3 years, I call it how I see it. Everything about this league is a crap shoot, so putting all the eggs in one basket instead of another is asking for trouble. This isn't about whether these players can play, otherwise, we wouldn't of asked them to come to DC in the first place. We've committed ourselves to not overpaying anyone, and as a result we only have one signing. Would it of hurt to give a player like Bryant, Foote, Pashos, Parker a 2-3 year deal, with maybe a sweeter signing bonus? We already have the 4th lowest payroll in the NFL.

I really don't understand why anyone would be upset about this off season. The Skins will no longer be the oldest team in the league. For once, the Skins will have a lot of young players competing for a roster spot. There will be more roster spots that can be filled by players like Lorenzo Alexander that work their tails off to earn a new contract. I'll take that every time over a 34 year old free agent that's on his last contract with nothing left to play for. I LOVE THIS OFF SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which players are going to be available?

Any current restricted RFA that has over 6 years of service in the NFL and has not been signed to a long term contract by their team will be a UFA next year.

However, betting and depending on this solely to fix a team is playing Russian Roulette. I'm sure this FO realizes that and will still be counting on the draft to flesh out the roster and use FA as a supplement.

We are currently leaning more towards being run like a normal NFL franchise and people can't stand it.

I really like this offseason so far.

Ding.

It's not knee-jerk reactions anymore. It's not a binary system anymore.

I see this in child abuse cases all the time: Families can fall apart once everything is "just right" because they're so used to the chaos.

I think the OP and maybe Redskins fans in general are a bit spoiled, I couldn't blame them for being disappointed.

Just look at it this way, if there is in fact NFL football next year (i.e. no strike...) then there will be possibly the best free agent market ever. I'm sure Shanny and your new GM want to get a look at the players and see what they have first. I heard on Sirius NFL radio taht Peppers total contract could reach about 120 million, Hank Baskett got a contract for 25mil, a 30 year old Aaron Kampman got 28mil... those guys aren't worth it

The Rams usually spend very well and haven't spent at all this year (probably because ownership is about to change in a couple months..) and I'm disappointed to. But the players that will be out there next year, as of this moment, is insane. Not only the 4 year guys who would normally be RFAs, but all of those guys who turned into UFAs this year that got tendered.

I expect us to either trade a player for a draft pick this year or trade out of the #4 spot with a team that wants Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Clausen, etc..

And I don't expect this team to be good next year simply because it's going to be a rebuilding year with the vast majority of the new players on this team being rookies either from the draft or UDFA's.

:ols: Figures you'd start a drama thread but i'm not here to trade barbs.

Foote would be an obvious upgrade at IMLB and what the situation is there I don't know.

Antonio Bryant is 29 and injury plagued. Upgrade? When healthy, yes but you're rolling the dice.

Pashos is coming off injury and not a fit for a ZBS team. There's a reason he's not here.

"Fast" Willie Parker isn't fast and can't stay healthy anymore. Remember that Shanny came from the AFC, and he's seen more of Parker than you and I put together.

You and the vast majority of this board have to detox from trying to grab all the FA's out there, no matter if they are good fits, on their last legs or simply bad. These players in the UFA market have serious downsides to them. Been saying that for months now, but not many people wanted to see the truth.

This is the world without a CBA. It's your first time seeing it, to me its deja vu.

Don't take it to heart Oldskool, I'm used to people thinking I'm crazy here. I'm down for a healthy debate.

I understand your point on Pashos not fitting the ZBS, but the lack of depth at tackle makes me too uncomfortable to have let him leave. To say he doesn't fit, keep it moving, after a year when our o-line was completely destroyed doesn't sit well with me. He was respectable at what he did, and would've added depth considering he could move inside as well. 3yrs $10million dollars? We could've done that, and reports are we almost had him signed, so it's not like we didn't want him.

With Antonio Bryant, I see you're point on his injury history. I looked it up, but it doesn't blow me away in a bad way. He's missed 5 games in the past four years, but I would've risked signing him knowing those 13-14 games we'd have a respectable WR core forcing Santana into the slot like we've been dreaming about. All things considered, we could've signed him to a reasonable contract as well, and if we don't someone will.

Willie Parker ain't as fast as he used to be, but was being turned into a grinder like Portis was with Gibbs. In a ZBS, and as a backup, we could let him lighten up and take less of pounding being a true change of pace back for a respectable price. Shanny is a beast at getting the most out of running backs in general and with his system; so the thought of Willie and Portis playing anywhere near how they used to play, worth it considering he isn't going to get a max deal from anyone.

All these player are assumed to be garbage, but are upgrades over the players we have at the positions we would sign them to upgrade. We didn't have to let them leave to prove anything to anyone.

Gotta go, be back tommorrow.

Which players are going to be available?

All the players with 4-5 years of NFL experience that were scheduled to be UFA this offseason but instead were RFA due to the lack of a CBA extension. Plus all the players with 4+ years of experience scheduled to become FA after this upcoming season. That is unless they sign a long term deal obviously. Marcus McNeil is the first player to come to mind.

I'm okay with it so far. There are a few depth guys I would have liked to pick up, maybe Ryan Clark to compete at FS but I really didn't like many of the options in FA.

The big names are washed up hasbeens and the second tier is getting elite money. For the most part I'd like to stand pat with what we have going into the draft and then plug holes afterwards. It would not surprise me to see quite a few releases after the draft due to the uncapped season.

I can't say anything right now other than that if our guys have another crappy year, and the big names that we passed up do well for their teams, our front office is gonna get a lot of crap.

This post is soooo out of line.... we're not even midway through March yet and people are already complaining about the FA period that isn't even a week in yet!!

C'mon seriously?!?!?!?! Be a true fan and wait until the whole offseason is over until you begin to evaluate and wait AT LEAST until week 6 until you begin to judge

Thanks Kindly,

A True Fan

I wish folks would stop whining and just chill. We only 5 days into free agency and its gonna take a couple of seasons to rebuild with youth so what's the rush. As long as we have the best 53 we can have by the beginning of September than that's all that matters.

I honestly believe that Shanny will take the bullett for his son. He will rebuild this team over a couple of years. Once everything starts clicking he will step into the front office and leave his son in control of a contending team. They was I see it

1st season- purge contracts and dead weight/start the foundation (lines)

2nd season- become semi-competitive/amass skill players ie new RB, make decisions on QB, WR, TE

3rd season- play off run

4th season- NFC East title contention

5th season- superbowl contender

******announce retirement and hire Kyle as head coach

I guess I've lost my mind then. Jamal Williams I don't agree with unless for depth, but a player like Maake Kemoeatu would be smart considering a switch to 3-4 and we don't have a NT. I'll be pissed if he walks. I'm not saying maintain status quo, I'm saying we need to complement veteran additions with draft picks to help improve as a football team. Even draft picks don't pan out sometimes.

There's a smart way to go about being aggressive in FA. But considering the circumstances, I don't believe we are being aggressive enough.

We are not going to offer him a contract right now, because he cant take a physical, due to his injury. So he is in the hold basket.

We are currently leaning more towards being run like a normal NFL franchise and people can't stand it.

I really like this offseason so far.

Exactly. People need to realize that yesterday isn't coming again. And truth be told, yesterday really sucked! Yeah, we all got to dream from March through August, but then reality set in. How 'bout instead we start dreaming about a 2-3 year ramp up to constant respectability?

Constant respectability in March probably looks lots more like what normal, successful franchises do, which is to take a patient, measured approach. The days of deals being signed in the early hours of the first morning are behind us now.

And I couldn't be happier!

Archived