Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEX: Redskins interested in OT/OG Barry Sims (49ers) -- UPDATED -- Signs 1yr deal with 49ers

GenMgr

Does anyone actually know anything about this guy Sims? This is supposed to be a thread about him, but after skimming 7 pages, I have learned nothing about this guy other than he is 35 years old (and that one person thinks Levi Jones did a good job for us last year--LOL!).

According to his wiki he is in the Sottish Claymores Hall Of Fame!

Apparently he was a backup with the Niners last year and did fairly well in replacing injured starter Staley at LT, but suffered a knee injury himself at some point.He only started 7 games but I guess he must be pretty decent if his line coach from last year is interested in him. I would imagine it may just be as a high level backup.

The practice squad is for your developmental players. They're not good enough to make the team, but you see something in them that might help you out a couple of years down the road by fixing their fundamentals or just giving them more experience. Similar to a minor league player in baseball.

Depth should be made up of players with experience who have he fundamentals down pat. They shouldn't be wondering who they're supposed to be blocking or the routes they'll run or where they line up on any given play.

Vinny and Dan never had these concepts down. Consequently, when the ancient OLine got hurt (anticpated by everyone except the aforementioned Dan and Vinny) the people they had to take their place were raw or extremely poor quality. Even going after depth, Shanahan and Allen show they have their act together way beyond what the Snyderato did.

Chester Pitts on 106.7. Is this an omen? Nah, probably not.

We will be back after @MDCoachWilliams who is on @1067theFANDC from 7-9. Scheduled to be joined by @Chester_Pitts as well! #Redskins #Terps

‎Russellmania09 ‎ - twitter.com -

38 minutes ago

ESers must realize that players want to get offers from the Skins and then re-sign for more money with their old team. Because of our record last year and the still unknown factors about how well Shanahan will do with quarterback, most free agents have no interest whatsoever in signing with our team. If we have a better year in 2010 then maybe next year we can attract better players. Right now. there are not a lot of players who are dying to play for the Skins. It is pretty sad when we can't attract a 35 year old lineman away from the 49ers, who now do not even have a General Manager. The 49ers have a coach who is hanging on and he could be gone by the end of 2010.

ESers must realize that players want to get offers from the Skins and then re-sign for more money with their old team. Because of our record last year and the still unknown factors about how well Shanahan will do with quarterback, most free agents have no interest whatsoever in signing with our team. If we have a better year in 2010 then maybe next year we can attract better players. Right now. there are not a lot of players who are dying to play for the Skins. It is pretty sad when we can't attract a 35 year old lineman away from the 49ers, who now do not even have a General Manager. The 49ers have a coach who is hanging on and he could be gone by the end of 2010.

Their are still roster cutdowns ahead but then again...meh. The OLine is a work in progress and will probably be for this season and next, maybe even beyond. I had a feeling Sims was going to resign with the 49ers or he would have signed with the Skins already. In regards to the 49ers not having a GM, they could always give vinny a call, he is still available.:drooley:

Braxford- I see the ownership of the 49ers as clueless as the Skins ownership so do not be surprised if the 49er's do bring on Vinny in some capacity!! But first, the young Jed York will try to do it without hiring anyone, because they are trying to build a new stadium. They can save some money and meanwhile pretend they know something about football even though they do not know anything about football.

our o-line is still improved over last year pre draft. randy thomas and chris samuels arent here. they were hurt beyond repair... we have 2 open slots now and better back ups.

all this means is we arent as desperate to sign washed up guys as we used to be... and HOPEFULLY! it really means we will draft some, not one, but SOME linemen (PLEASE OKUNG)

i mean, right?

Lets hope that roster cutdowns for others maybe good pickups for us

Since there is no CBA there is no need for cuts due to salary but simply to get to league maximum roster size. Any cutdowns will be players of the same caliber that have already been let go, or in the UFA pool this year or players simply that teams want to stash on the PS.

The chances of someone being struck by lightning while scratching off a winning lotto ticket is greater than a starting caliber OL being cut before the start of the season.

man, if we go into the season as levi jones as our starting LT. we are seriously ****ed. the scariest part is that i believe TK hinted at exactly that possiblity. he said something like if we dont sign or draft top LT we can always sign levi after the draft. i pray to every single god of every single religion that that doesnt end up happening.

Chester Pitts on 106.7. Is this an omen? Nah, probably not.

We will be back after @MDCoachWilliams who is on @1067theFANDC from 7-9. Scheduled to be joined by @Chester_Pitts as well! #Redskins #Terps

‎Russellmania09 ‎ - twitter.com -

38 minutes ago

What does this mean?

Have no fear Heyer is here...may the Lord have mercy on our souls...sure we'll get our franchise QB in the 1st round only to CRIPPLE him behind the once again ignored OLINE...if Shanny has brain 1 he won't pass on the Tackle at 4...either Okung or Bugula.

At this point I agree with o-line help over Jimmy Clausen in Rd 1, BUT I do not pass on the top 4 guys (Bradford, McCoy, Suh, or Okung) for Bulaga. Yes D-line isn't a pressing need, but you can never go wrong drafting offensive or defensive lineman.

A Suh/ Saffold draft in Rd's 1 & 2 would be absolutely awesome in terms of adding serious talent on our lines for the long-term. In additional could still get another tackle in the 4th/5th rounds like a Calloway or Jason Fox that may be able to step in as the season progresses.....

Did the Skins give away the 37th overall pick? Cuz everyone keeps saying on this board that if the Skins, please quit saying WE cuz none of us are on the roster, don't draft a LT at #4 overall then they won't get one at all. Is Vinny back? Did he give away all the picks except the 1st rounder?

I hope Shanny drafts a LT in the second round and he becomes a pro bowler so I can read all the posts from you "1st rd OT fanatics" a couple years from now about how you wanted him to do just that all along. This is gonna be awesome lol.

Did the Skins give away the 37th overall pick? Cuz everyone keeps saying on this board that if the Skins, please quit saying WE cuz none of us are on the roster, don't draft a LT at #4 overall then they won't get one at all. Is Vinny back? Did he give away all the picks except the 1st rounder?

I hope Shanny drafts a LT in the second round and he becomes a pro bowler so I can read all the posts from you "1st rd OT fanatics" a couple years from now about how you wanted him to do just that all along. This is gonna be awesome lol.

So where do we get a RT, RG and some quality depth from?

Since there is no CBA there is no need for cuts due to salary but simply to get to league maximum roster size. Any cutdowns will be players of the same caliber that have already been let go, or in the UFA pool this year or players simply that teams want to stash on the PS.

The chances of someone being struck by lightning while scratching off a winning lotto ticket is greater than a starting caliber OL being cut before the start of the season.

You might see some cuts after the draft, but you are right that what is out there right now is going to be what's out there for the most part.

Archived