Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEX: Redskins interested in OT/OG Barry Sims (49ers) -- UPDATED -- Signs 1yr deal with 49ers

GenMgr

So where do we get a RT, RG and some quality depth from?

The RG will come from the group of Artis Hicks, Mike Williams, Edwin Williams, Reinhart, Fanaika, and Lichtensteiger....I think we have a lot of intriguing talent on the interior of the line especially with the younger lineman. I'm not high on Reinhart but I do think Edwin Williams is a solid prospect. In the games that he started I thought he played well minus a couple of false starts....I'm intrigued by Fanaika as well because the Eagles though enough of him to at least keep him on their PS all season.....Lichtensteiger and his ability to fit into the ZBS could make him a good option on the interior as well. Absolutely agree though that we do need 2 tackles in the draft but i TOTALLY disagree with people who don't think you could get effective o-lineman outside of the 4th pick.

This is a very deep draft and with our 2nd and 4th rd picks, we'll be grabbing players who in typical drafts may be drafted a round earlier. The 2nd rounder should absolutely be drafted with the intention of starting soon and the high 4th rounder should be looked at as a potential starter by the end of the season and definitely going into '11 or a solid reserve at worst. Again, I'd be all for a draft that goes like this:

Rd 1- Suh

Rd 2- Saffold

Rd 4- Kyle Calloway

The RG will come from the group of Artis Hicks, Mike Williams, Edwin Williams, Reinhart, Fanaika, and Lichtensteiger....I think we have a lot of intriguing talent on the interior of the line especially with the younger lineman. I'm not high on Reinhart but I do think Edwin Williams is a solid prospect. In the games that he started I thought he played well minus a couple of false starts....I'm intrigued by Fanaika as well because the Eagles though enough of him to at least keep him on their PS all season.....Lichtensteiger and his ability to fit into the ZBS could make him a good option on the interior as well. Absolutely agree though that we do need 2 tackles in the draft but i TOTALLY disagree with people who don't think you could get effective o-lineman outside of the 4th pick.

Im not sold. Hicks is probably the best of the bunch, although Rinehart rated better than anyone on the roster last year according to PPF (think it was 48th but not enough snaps to qualify) but I dont think he's a big improvement. Center is a problem as well, Rabach is not good at all. Outside of Dock I dont know if we have much at all in terms of interior line talent. Then there are the tackles which were attrocious last year. 2nd round and 4th might do it, but I think it's a stretch and certainly nothing I want to have to rely on as starters as rookies.

This is a very deep draft and with our 2nd and 4th rd picks, we'll be grabbing players who in typical drafts may be drafted a round earlier. The 2nd rounder should absolutely be drafted with the intention of starting soon and the high 4th rounder should be looked at as a potential starter by the end of the season and definitely going into '11 or a solid reserve at worst. Again, I'd be all for a draft that goes like this:

Rd 1- Suh

Rd 2- Saffold

Rd 4- Kyle Calloway

To me this still doesnt really address the problem. I think RG is a serious issue (and center as well) and I'm really not sold on Calloway as a RT in the NFL. He's kinda rangy right now, with his hieght (6'7) I'd like him to be 330, not 315 and I'm not sure he's gonna translate well to RT in the NFL at all. Solid reserve is not good enough. We need a starter and going after late round draft picks and UDFA's hasnt gotten it done, nor should it be expected to. As for Saffold some guys project him as a LG in the NFL. But looks to be a good fit for the ZBS. Not real strong but very coachable, works hard and is pretty athletic. Could do worse, but I think we should try for better.

You might see some cuts after the draft, but you are right that what is out there right now is going to be what's out there for the most part.

You also have to consider the rarity of offensive lineman in UFA. If a team were going to draft a OL to replace one already on the roster, that team would more likely try to trade that vet OL before the draft rather than cut the player for no gain.

Trades for future picks could still happen after the draft as well but with the uncertain nature of the labor talks and a possible strike in 2011, that is iffy.

So where do we get a RT, RG and some quality depth from?

I think the RG is probably on the roster and will come from one of Rhino, Williams or Hicks. As for RT we may be looking at guys who get let go from other teams late in preseason or a late round pick competing with Heyer or maybe Levi Jones if we resign him. Not ideal but we all knew it was going to be tough to fix this mess which is our oline all in one year.

Archived