Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEX: Redskins interested in OT/OG Barry Sims (49ers) -- UPDATED -- Signs 1yr deal with 49ers

GenMgr

We need to find some help so that taking OT come draft day is not forced.

I was a little disappointed with the Rabach resign where there are more options at Center and almost nothing at OT.

I think Rabach has be adequate in pass pro but a liability in the run game. Thats my opinion. But he is at least familiar with the defensive fronts/personnel of the NFC East defenses and that might give him the advantage when it comes to calling out assignments.

Maybe we go the restricted route for OT? How about our 2nd for Logan Mankins? I think the Pats have a 2nd year guy behind him and would be willing to deal despite the high tender they put on Mankins.

I think if its going to cost draft picks I would prefer to trade up into the top half of the

1st round to get an OT. If we do go QB with the 1st choice.

Considering there are practically no FA OL that are under 30 and worth a damn, it's unsurprising to see us interested in only aging veterans who know the system.

We're going to need to overhaul the line, but before we can even infuse youth we need to build a temporary line, until our youth can actually play. And since the youth will take at least 2-3 years to develop, we'll need quite a bit of depth.

with the way we've stunk it up in FA so far by doing nothing this move seems logical, 35 year old OL who was decent 7 years ago but over the hill now. Sounds about right.

Let's pass on other FAs in their prime like Rolle and Dansby and instead go after some outdated OL who is 35, sounds great.......

Dripping with sarcasm!!!!!

with the way we've stunk it up in FA so far by doing nothing this move seems logical, 35 year old OL who was decent 7 years ago but over the hill now. Sounds about right.

Let's pass on other FAs in their prime like Rolle and Dansby and instead go after some outdated OL who is 35, sounds great.......

As great as Rolle and Dansby are, I don't think they would beat out even mediocre, old Olinemen for the RT position. Seriously get a grip. Face it - we aren't going to be the champions of March anymore. But perhaps, just perhaps we'll do better in September-January. 2 days into FA is not the time to panic, especially considering we haven't done the normal "overpay and cause discontent in the lockerroom" routine we usually do.

As great as Rolle and Dansby are, I don't think they would beat out even mediocre, old Olinemen for the RT position. Seriously get a grip. Face it - we aren't going to be the champions of March anymore. But perhaps, just perhaps we'll do better in September-January. 2 days into FA is not the time to panic, especially considering we haven't done the normal "overpay and cause discontent in the lockerroom" routine we usually do.

I have ti disagree with you when you say we haven't done the "normal overpay and discontent" routing. How do you explain us giving Hicks a 9 million dollar contract for a guy who may not even be our starting RG when Sept kicks off?

There wasn't a whole lot of interest in this guy but his agent squeezed us for 9 million, for a guy who may end up being a backup for us. heck, I would have rather had given Mike Williams the shot at RG and save the money.

this was a terrible move and terrible contract so to say we're not making same mistakes of the past I would almost disagree and argue that our mistakes might be even worse than those in the past.

It's just nobody buzzes about this contract but indeed we did overpay for a guy who might be a backup OL.

I have no illisuion that this is a short term stop gap, and I'm okay with that. Like I've said countless times, this team has a lot more holes than can be filled in one offseason. However, I still hope that we do bring in a 24 year old or younger OL at some point this offseason, but that probably won't happen until the draft.

I have no illisuion that this is a short term stop gap, and I'm okay with that. Like I've said countless times, this team has a lot more holes than can be filled in one offseason. However, I still hope that we do bring in a 24 year old or younger OL at some point this offseason, but that probably won't happen until the draft.

you know who else was a Short term Stop Gap?

Levi Jones and I'm sure you're happy how that turned out last season. Come on time to realize we need better solutions and Hicks is not a long term solution nor can we fill all these holes via the draft so my agrument is simple why not use FA as a tool to improve the team and if we do, let's do it the right way rather than get this bum and overpay him when he's most likely a 9 million dollar backup Offensive lineman.

you know who else was a Short term Stop Gap?

Levi Jones and I'm sure you're happy how that turned out last season. Come on time to realize we need better solutions and Hicks is not a long term solution nor can we fill all these holes via the draft so my agrument is simple why not use FA as a tool to improve the team and if we do, let's do it the right way rather than get this bum and overpay him when he's most likely a 9 million dollar backup Offensive lineman.

Ummm...Levi Jones actually did pretty darn good for us at the end of the season last year. Without him holding down the left side of the line, I don't think that we could have looked as good as we did, and that is a very sad, sad thing to say.

9 Million over 3 years w/ 3 million guaranteed is not a lot of money. I doubt that he will be a backup and even if he is, he has the experience to help teach and mentor the young guys that will be coming ( :crossfingers: ). This is kind of move that a team has to make when they are rebuilding from the bottom up.

Ummm...Levi Jones actually did pretty darn good for us at the end of the season last year. Without him holding down the left side of the line, I don't think that we could have looked as good as we did, and that is a very sad, sad thing to say.

9 Million over 3 years w/ 3 million guaranteed is not a lot of money. I doubt that he will be a backup and even if he is, he has the experience to help teach and mentor the young guys that will be coming ( :crossfingers: ). This is kind of move that a team has to make when they are rebuilding from the bottom up.

You summed it up well when you said "rebuilding from the bottom up" because that's exactly what we are doing. Scrapping any plan to be competitive next year or in 2011 for that matter to focus on the long term.

Would you take another 4-12 season followed by another down year in the hopes of this plan working? How much losing do you want to see us do in the hopes that we can rebound and rebuild?

I have ti disagree with you when you say we haven't done the "normal overpay and discontent" routing. How do you explain us giving Hicks a 9 million dollar contract for a guy who may not even be our starting RG when Sept kicks off?

There wasn't a whole lot of interest in this guy but his agent squeezed us for 9 million, for a guy who may end up being a backup for us. heck, I would have rather had given Mike Williams the shot at RG and save the money.

this was a terrible move and terrible contract so to say we're not making same mistakes of the past I would almost disagree and argue that our mistakes might be even worse than those in the past.

It's just nobody buzzes about this contract but indeed we did overpay for a guy who might be a backup OL.

Wow. You redskins fans said so much crap about Vinny Cerrato, but most of you think just like him.

You really are clueless aren't you? Our defense is, and has been our strength, not to say that they are perfect though. In the past we definitely would have gone after the guys you mentioned, but again our defense is the strength, so why at this point? Our serious problems are on offense and obviously that is what the team is concerned with, regardless of whether you agree with the moves or not, as far as Im concerned, they're on the right track and obviously have a direction and plan in place. Even if you are too blind to see it.

You summed it up well when you said "rebuilding from the bottom up" because that's exactly what we are doing. Scrapping any plan to be competitive next year or in 2011 for that matter to focus on the long term.

Would you take another 4-12 season followed by another down year in the hopes of this plan working? How much losing do you want to see us do in the hopes that we can rebound and rebuild?

Nobody wants there team to lose, however; if you tell me that if going through another year of two of losing (after already going through 19) would ensure about five to ten years of being competitive, then I would take it and hope that these next couple years go by quickly.

Archived