Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEX: Redskins interested in OT/OG Barry Sims (49ers) -- UPDATED -- Signs 1yr deal with 49ers

GenMgr

Is the interest in Sims to be a stopgap at LT until a top draft pick takes over? After that he'd become at backup at T and G :whoknows:

Sims is definitely a stopgap on the OL (whether it is at OT or OG).

It also doesn't tip our draft hand. We can still draft Clausen (and take an OT in the second ala the Falcons with Ryan/Baker) or take Okung (and take a QB ie Lefevour or wait until next year to draft a QB).

LT Levi Jones/draft pick 1st or 2nd round

LG Dockery

C Rabach/draft pick 4th round

RG BMW/Simms/3rd round pick from two years ago I cannot think of his name

RT Pashos (hopefully)

It is a big improvement.

Haven't read through the entire thread, but you're the 3rd person who's neglected to list Artis Hicks. Who probably is the frontrunner to have the RG spot ahead of BMW and Simms.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the dates of the posts.

LT- Okung

LG- Dockery

C- Rabach

RG- Hicks

RT- Simms

sounds decent upgrade for one season....

Much improved potentially over the mash unit last year. Of course it's 50-50 right now whether we take a QB or LT with that first pick at this point.

yeh hopefully having these older guys will push the younger players to actually be better. but im not holding my breath

If we sign Levi and draft Okung man I would be in static! Along with Sims it would look like a average O-Line finally and that says a lot... And yeah the old vets should be starving for playing time hopefully. The young guys need to feel threatened...

Barry Sims=Chad Clifton=Tony Pashos....most likely using us as leverage to resign with the 49ers......I reserve comment on Sims until we actually sign him.

Seems like the new regime has UFAs using us as leverage to renegotiate elsewhere so pardon me if I'm not excited about this until we see if he signs.

I think you guys are failing to realize that players drafted after Rd 2 are capable of starting too. I can easily see a situation where we draft tackles in Rds 1 or 2, and then agagin in 4 or 5....That 3nd lineman can easily compete for PT with Simms as a bridge....

See Chad Reinhardt.

Of course you are right. But doesn't mean they will.

Undrafted lineman can compete too. Doesn't mean they will or they wont. :)

True, but lets say we go QB in Rd 1 for arguments sake. Would you be totally upset with a draft like this in Rd2 1-4

Rd1- QB (Most likely Clausen if they go this route)

Rd2- Rodger Saffold

Rd4- Kyle Calloway

Your line gets younger immediately with the addition of Saffold and you have another young Tackle prospect in the pipline in Calloway who can step in if Sims slows down during the course of the season.

See Chad Reinhardt.

I really think that Reinhart is getting a raw deal. He seemed to be coming into his own when he got hurt and people are down on him like he's garbage. I think he may prove to be a solid starter for us when all is said and done.

True, but lets say we go QB in Rd 1 for arguments sake. Would you be totally upset with a draft like this in Rd2 1-4

Rd1- QB (Most likely Clausen if they go this route)

Rd2- Rodger Saffold

Rd4- Kyle Calloway

Your line gets younger immediately with the addition of Saffold and you have another young Tackle prospect in the pipline in Calloway who can step in if Sims slows down during the course of the season.

Not opposed to that, just saying drafting a lineman early doesn't mean starter.

I really think that Reinhart is getting a raw deal. He seemed to be coming into his own when he got hurt and people are down on him like he's garbage. I think he may prove to be a solid starter for us when all is said and done.

I hope you are right. Personally I am tired of the Redskins putting people in the dog house without telling us why. Reinhardt was placed in the dog house but with no explanations. :mad:

See Chad Reinhardt.

You'd have to come up with a few more examples to make it true. ;)

I had a debate about Veldheer this year with another poster. He commented on how the transition to the NFL is a bigger jump for guys that come from smaller programs in college. Since they play weaker competition they don't have to make adjustments and learn the way players do in the big conferences. Something to keep in mind if we draft a guy like Selvish Capers, a project that might learn somewhat quickly with the right coaching.

If we sign Levi and draft Okung man I would be in static! Along with Sims it would look like a average O-Line finally and that says a lot... And yeah the old vets should be starving for playing time hopefully. The young guys need to feel threatened...

Does this mean your hair would stand up on end. Sounds exciting but I think you mean ECSTATIC. Just Helping man, not being critical. :)

Archived