Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Inc. McShay's Mock Draft...Let the laughter begin.

ohioskinsfan

a bunch of nonsense

you mean people guess wrong on QBs? especially when there's an institutional tendency across all sports to get enamored with measurables and "upside" rather than fundamentals and skill? so they take the $5 arm with the $0.10 brain, or the guy with gaudy stats in a spread offense and are surprised when he fails? or the guy with a baseball windup?

gms draft QB busts for 3 reasons

1: they fall in love with his physical profile and overlook the fact that he sucks at playing the position

2: they take a guy who seemingly has it all but a ****ty work ethic or attitude or mental makeup

3: they take a guy from a pure spread school (not all spread offenses are created equal - different ones require different things in terms of footwork, reading defense and such. and don't even bring up bradford getting pre-snap reads from coaches - very, very few QBs in college make their own pre-snap reads, i'd be suprised if somoene like peyton did)

basically, it's actually not that hard to avoid QB busts but the problem is that scouts have a bit of "group-think" in them and once a consensus is reached that a guy will be a stud, it's hard to break away from it. that's why a guy like jamarcus goes #1, and a guy like brady goes in the 6th round or brees in the 2nd.

you mean people guess wrong on QBs? especially when there's an institutional tendency across all sports to get enamored with measurables and "upside" rather than fundamentals and skill? so they take the $5 arm with the $0.10 brain, or the guy with gaudy stats in a spread offense and are surprised when he fails? or the guy with a baseball windup?

1: they fall in love with his physical profile and overlook the fact that he sucks at playing the position

2: they take a guy who seemingly has it all but a ****ty work ethic or attitude or mental makeup

3: they take a guy from a pure spread school (not all spread offenses are created equal - different ones require different things in terms of footwork, reading defense and such. and don't even bring up bradford getting pre-snap reads from coaches - very, very few QBs in college make their own pre-snap reads, i'd be suprised if somoene like peyton did)

basically, it's actually not that hard to avoid QB busts but the problem is that scouts have a bit of "group-think" in them and once a consensus is reached that a guy will be a stud, it's hard to break away from it. that's why a guy like jamarcus goes #1, and a guy like brady goes in the 6th round or brees in the 2nd.

There is also a lot of pressure on a team who doesn't have a QB to take one, since if they pass they are probably going to get nailed by the press and fans for it, especially if the guy they passed on turns out to be something.

I'm fine drafting a guy and I'm fine passing as well, as long as they are doing it for the right reasons. The good thing, at least as of right now, we shouldn't be desperate to be drafting the next guy. The team does have the luxury to choose a QB for the right reasons.

Actually one of the biggest attributes Peyton was praised for was his ability to adjust to defensive looks and read defenses. He was much more cerebral than Leaf (by far, it turns out). Yes, not all spread systems are the same, but Manning took a lot of snaps from under center when at Tennessee and also played against more talented defenses than Bradford. He also took plenty of hits and kept going which is an area it seems Bradford is lacking a bit. IMO there isn't much of a comparison between them.

Your quote of me is a blatant lie. I never said anything that you have underneath the quote listed. "nonsense?" Ha! Grow up and re read what I wrote. It wasn't aimed at you alone.

So Gm I mean imperium, you stand by negating the credibility of every gm who drafted every QB I named above (minus JC) HA! and say that you know better about this particular draft than any of them? Your pompass-ness amazes me. Nice false quote of me too.... weak.

I could live with Anthony Davis. He's huge and will be very good. But if we go the OT route, I would rather trade down and get Mike Iupati and possibly Kyle Wilson with the other pick (if we're lucky enough to get two 1st rounders this year), then pick-up Colt McCoy in the 2nd round.

As some have stated, only one QB picked in the 1st round isn't realistic here.

Your quote of me is a blatant lie. I never said anything that you have underneath the quote listed. "nonsense?" Ha! Grow up and re read what I wrote. It wasn't aimed at you alone.
So Gm I mean imperium, you stand by negating the credibility of every gm who drafted every QB I named above (minus JC) HA! and say that you know better about this particular draft than any of them? Your pompass-ness amazes me. Nice false quote of me too.... weak.

Two rebuttals of the same comment within ten minutes of each other, no one posting in between. There's an edit button for a reason. :)

Makes perfect sense. Most teams have been putting a premium on OL the past few seasons. Duane Brown comes to mind, everyone had him as early to mid second rounder, goes to Houston at 25. the tackle from USC that went to Atlanta late in round one also.

This draft is suppose to be deep in lineman on both sides of the ball and we only have two picks in the top fifty. Considering we have no starting tackles on this team, barring any trade down scenario, I go tackle, tackle in the first and second.

That is one of the most unrealistic mock drafts I have seen this entire off-season.

What is the basis for your opinion? Is it just because this mock is different than 20 others that you have seen? Wait till the combine.....a lot of the mocks will change significantly. The actual draft will be different than most of the mocks anyway. I don't see how anyone can say at this point that this mock is unrealistic.

What is the basis for your opinion? Is it just because this mock is different than 20 others that you have seen? Wait till the combine.....a lot of the mocks will change significantly. The actual draft will be different than most of the mocks anyway. I don't see how anyone can say at this point that this mock is unrealistic.

A lot of armchair GM's and scouts would love to disagree with you:)

Archived