Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snowtorious B.I.G.; Blizzard of 2010 -- post pictures, reports here

Sticksboi05

Speaking as a teacher, I can't think of anything more useless than snow on a Friday afternoon. Ugh.

If this storm is what it appears to be, you won't be back to school until Wednesday....in which case, there's a storm coming Tue-Wed as well so, with any luck, you'll have all of next week of and will be teaching until mid august by the time this winter's over. :ols:

Its been over due, It would usually snow like this every 4 years and we really haven't had that much since 2004 I believe. If I can remember correctly during the 1996 year school was out for close to 2 weeks becuase of the snow.

NWS says in their winter storm warning 16-24" for the DC area.

Yep. Thanks for pointing that out.

From that statement:

* TIMING... SNOW WILL BEGIN MID-MORNING FRIDAY... AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON... WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL OCCURRING BETWEEN SUNSET FRIDAY TO SUNRISE SATURDAY. THE MOST HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT... WHEN THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE... PRODUCING NEAR-BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

Its been over due, It would usually snow like this every 4 years and we really haven't had that much since 2004 I believe. If I can remember correctly during the 1996 year school was out for close to 2 weeks becuase of the snow.

When was the last time we've had two 18+ inch snow storms in one winter? We've already had an MECS this winter, if this storm pans out like it's supposed to we could very likely end up with the snowiest winter on record. I say keep it coming, love me some snow.

NWS says in their winter storm warning 16-24" for the DC area.

Yeah I was listening to Tony Kornheiser while eating lunch as is the custom around this time and they were talking about all the snow

Tony is going nuts...2 feet!? :mad:

I've been in this area for my whole life other than 4.5 years at college...this is the most snow I can remember in a while

When was the last time we've had two 18+ inch snow storms in one winter? We've already had an MECS this winter, if this storm pans out like it's supposed to we could very likely end up with the snowiest winter on record. I say keep it coming, love me some snow.

Yeah its uusally just one big shot this will be something new. I'm already sore from shoveling snow, I don't think my back can take it. PLUS, I live next to two old widows...TWO, what are the chances of that happening. they bring me some cake and now I have to shovel their damn snow.

I work on the Navy base in Southern Maryland...below is something that has been passed around the last day or two...don't know anything about it's origins so take it for what it's worth...

It's only Tuesday so a lot can change between now and Friday........

Another round of high impact winter weather is slated to occur from Friday into Sunday.

This event is likely to equal or exceed that of the December 19, 2009 storm and may resemble the March 18-22, 1958 storm in terms of duration and snowfall. In that event, areas of Baltimore County received 4 feet of snow.

What you will read below will not be released publicly until Tuesday or perhaps Wednesday, and may contain some changes, but we are confident of our investigation thus far.

Our pre-public statement:

The Foot's Forecast team in Baltimore, MD expects an historic snow event to occur during the weekend of February 5-6-7. Snow is likely to begin Friday and extend into Sunday.

Amounts across the eastern Mid-Atlantic may approach 24" by Saturday evening. Areas of elevation will see enhanced snowfall that may approach or exceed 30". Several computer models already project nearly 2.0 inches of liquid equivalent for this storm, which at a basic 12:1 snow to water ratio would easily produce 2 feet or more.

This would shut down most roads and interstates and result in states of emergency from Virginia northward to Massachusetts for several days.

Meteorologists at the federal level

<http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdepd.html> have been releasing statements on this potential since Sunday afternoon, the text of which can be found at HPC, NOAA's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center. Our information does not constitute an official statement nor do we claim to represent the National Weather Service. However, the NOAA agencies which serve the NWS have already made clear their belief this will be a high impact event for the I-95 corridor <http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/threats/threats.gif>

We believe that educators, administrators and county officials need to be closely monitoring this potential as it will have a high impact on the school system for a long period of time following the storm.

For additional details, visit http://www.footsforecast.org for further information.

I work on the Navy base in Southern Maryland...below is something that has been passed around the last day or two...don't know anything about it's origins so take it for what it's worth...

My wife sent me that same email after she received it at her office.

I'm calling :bsflag:

Just doesnt seem right.

My wife sent me that same email after she received it at her office.

I'm calling :bsflag:

Just doesnt seem right.

Yeah seems like bs. Although there is some science to back it. One of the models (don't know how accurate) had the DC area with 3.70". If it's a 12-1 ratio like some are saying it could be, that's 3.7 feet of snow. I think that's way more than most of the models are saying though.

Archived