Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AJC: Magazine ranks Atlanta as America's gayest city

China

Magazine ranks Atlanta as America's gayest city

Gayer than Bloomington, Ind., and Iowa City, Iowa?

Yep. According to The Advocate magazine, Atlanta rates as the nation's gayest city, followed by Burlington, Vt., Iowa City, Bloomington and Madison, Wis. Don't bother looking for San Francisco, New York or Los Angeles -- those supposed gay meccas don't even place in the rankings compiled by the nation's oldest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender publication.

Though their research was admittedly unscientific, it's not without merit. Correspondent Mike Albo awarded points based on same-sex households per capita, statewide marriage equality, gay elected officials, gay dating and "hookup" profiles per single male population, gay bars per capita, cruising spots per capita, and gay films in Netflix favorites.

"I buy that," said Joe Pennington, 23, a barista at Outwrite Bookstore in Midtown. "Odds are 50 percent that if you're gay and lesbian, you'll eventually end up in Atlanta."

While Georgia has only a few gay elected officials and no laws endorsing same-sex marriage, social and cultural metrics vaulted Atlanta to the top of the Advocate's list.

"Atlanta is undoubtedly our gayest city -- with 29 gay bars here, there’s a reason it’s dubbed Hotlanta," Albo wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

My wife is from Burlington VT, so I've been up there quite a bit in the last few years. I'm more surprised it's #2 instead of #1. But I've also never been to Atlanta, so I find that interesting.

I've heard a lot of hip-hop songs about Atlanta, I wonder why this was never mentioned in any of them...

While Georgia has only a few gay elected officials and no laws endorsing same-sex marriage, social and cultural metrics vaulted Atlanta to the top of the Advocate's list.

"Atlanta is undoubtedly our gayest city -- with 29 gay bars here, there’s a reason it’s dubbed Hotlanta," Albo wrote.

Not that is matters, but there are way more than 29 gay bars in San Francisco. My representative on the Board of Supervisors is openly gay. My State Senator is openly gay. We had about 10,000 gay marriages performed in this city. And so on. And we don't even make the top 15? Lollers.

And has he ever been to freaking Palm Springs?

It's the gayest in baseball.

There isn't anything gayer than the tomahawk chop and the bandwagon fans who cry "oh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I take it that you didn't like hearing the Tomahawk Chop all throughout the Gator Bowl? ;)

I've spent a weekend in Atlanta. I don't know anything about how many gay people are there, but I've never seen more homeless people all over the place. And really aggressive homeless people at that.

I take it that you didn't like hearing the Tomahawk Chop all throughout the Gator Bowl? ;)

I've spent a weekend in Atlanta. I don't know anything about how many gay people are there, but I've never seen more homeless people all over the place. And really aggressive homeless people at that.

Atleast FSU has been doing it for many years.

Either way though - it's stupid.

Not that is matters, but there are way more than 29 gay bars in San Francisco. My representative on the Board of Supervisors is openly gay. My State Senator is openly gay. We had about 10,000 gay marriages performed in this city. And so on. And we don't even make the top 15? Lollers.

If you look at the way they did their rankings, there were numerous factors, and as for gay bars, that factored in as the number of gay bars per capita.

I wasn't even finished reading the OP and I thought-boy is predicto going to be pissed about this. :laugh:

If you look at the way they did their rankings, there were numerous factors, and as for gay bars, that factored in as the number of gay bars per capita.

It still doesn't add up. San Francisco is a small city and has scores of gay bars. The percentage of married and cohabiting gay couples is through the roof. 10,000 gay marriage. We have the elected officials. No one bats an eye at two men or two women holding hands walking down the street. There are five children of same sex couples in my daughter's class at school.

Plus, some of the issues that they ranked as signs of "gayness" are actually signs of unfriendliness to gays. Places that are more open to gay people don't need anonymous crusing spots. It isn't 1970 any more. Gay people in San Francisco meet other gay people the same way that straight people meet other straight people. They don't have to go hang out behind a certain restroom in a park after midnight in the hopes of a quick, anonymous hookup. Same thing with the netflix.

San Diego is on the list. San Diego is a great town, but I don't think that there is a single person alive who has ever spent time in both places who would say San Diego is more gay or more gay-friendly than San Francisco.

I'm not outraged over this, but this article just isn't accurate. That might have been the point of it. Controversy sells magazines.

Well, I'll tell you a little story.

I went to Atlanta and found myself in a bar.. and after a few minutes I noticed a couple of guys in dark corners holding hands.. couple of other guys looking deeply into one another's eyes,, couple of other guys caressing each other,,, so I turned to the guy I was dancing with and said "Hey! What is this, a gay bar?"

I kid, I kid.

~BaAang

Atleast FSU has been doing it for many years.

Either way though - it's stupid.

I do agree with you on that. Pretty lame that they copied it just for Deion, and now they really have no reason to ever use it anymore. William & Mary does it too for their sporting events, since they're "The Tribe." Or so I've been told.

I lived in Atlanta from 93 to 2005 and I'd agree with the ranking. Atlanta has a HUGE gay community. It's insane, I haven't been to San Fran, but people I know, even some of the gay people I used to work with who've been there have said it's nowhere near the level of Atlanta. Most of them say Atlanta is much more in your face about it, whereas San Fran is more like people don't really care to throw it out there, not that their hiding it. Midtown Atlanta has like 5 homosexuals to every straight person, obviously I made that up. But I truly wouldn't doubt the ranking.

Archived