Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The benefit of Jim Haslett as DC?

Airman67

Can anyone explain to me why having Haslett here would be a good thing? I'm checking out his track record and nothing is jumping out at me that makes me believe that he could improve this defense.

What does Coach Shanahan know about him and what does he bring?

Ok...I agree that we need fire and some serious ass-kicking.

But looking at his defenses over the years, what have they done and what are they known for? I read that one of his teams was known for defensive scoring (something we have never been known for).

He will bring energy and fire to the sideline. imagine Brian Orakpo with Haslett chewing his ass off. he will be a beast pissed off.

Orakpo's the kind of guy who doesn't need that. THat could even be detrimental. But honestly I'm just glad it looks like we'll have an agressive defense.

I'd prefer to stay in a 4-3 but we have the guys on defense that we could make the shift with just a few stopgap guys and since DL is a strength we might be able to trade some people and get some picks or their replacements.

Haslett has several points in his favor. He is very flexible, and adapts his scheme to the talent he has instead of trying to pound square pegs into round holes. He is very emotional, gets his players fired up and has a rep for extremely good relations with players. Guys that have played under him have a ton of respect for him, there will be no going thru the motions on D. He is highly thought of in professional circles, as opposed to internet blowhards that only look at rankings.

His defenses are known for being aggressive in creating turnovers and scoring. When he was in Pittsburgh, his defenses were in the top 2 for a few years in scoring, something that would have helped this season. Aggressiveness would have helped out a lot this year, normally it means giving up a big play, but this year we gave up plenty of big plays but weren't aggressive enough to produce many turnovers, now at least we get the turnovers.

He'll hold people accountable, another issue with our defense this season.

I think the real reason he's here is because he can help us make a smooth transition to 3-4 because he's coached plenty of both 4-3 and 3-4. It was the same thing with Zimmer, both guys had led both types of defense successfully.

I'm not convinced that's the right move, but if that's where we're going, then I'm happy we have a guy that can move the D there as we get more fitting personnel.

Haslett has something to prove after being of of the league coaching the florida tuskers so I like that aspect of his potential. Honestly I think he was brought in for his familiarity with the 3-4 defense. Not to many coordinators out there that are experienced in that defense. hopefully he calls plays like he has something to prove because he does have something to prove.

his experience in both the 3-4 and 4-3 gives us the ability to use the hybrid D that is all the rage these days... by just his name alone, as a fan, it didn't stand out to me as a great hire, but I heard nothing but positives about the man since he signed on...

I'm willing to keep an open mind on it. I was basing my opinion on his lack of success in the NFL as a head coach and was not really looking at what he has done or can do as a DC.

I'd simply be more happy if he can bring more blitz packages (or get that damn Carlos Rogers to actually catch a pass or sit his ass).

I don't know much about the 3-4 defense, having grown up with a 4-3. Someone mentioned a hybrid of the two. How does that work?

I can't say I am a fan of the move either. He just never has had a great defense in terms of shutting down opposing offenses. Almost every year it has been in the bottom half of the NFL. Sure, the couple of years with a good scoring defense are nice, but then consider how much they give up.

Sure, hes fiery, but that hasnt helped his defenses yet, and hasnt helped him win games yet. Why is that going to start now? Whats going to be different?

Can anyone explain to me why having Haslett here would be a good thing? I'm checking out his track record and nothing is jumping out at me that makes me believe that he could improve this defense.

What does Coach Shanahan know about him and what does he bring?

Why would anyone on this board be able to explain (from a well informed, true NFL knowledge standpoint) why having Haslett as DC is good or bad?

I think I'll just trust a 2-time Super Bowl champion coach and hope for the best.

Why would anyone on this board be able to explain (from a well informed, true NFL knowledge standpoint) why having Haslett as DC is good or bad?

I think I'll just trust a 2-time Super Bowl champion coach and hope for the best.

It's fair to conjecture based on his sucesses and failures. There are always lots of side stories that we don't see in the W/L records or the stats, but that doesn't mean that we don't have useful data.

Haslett certainly doesn't seem to have Grade A credentials, but he has been well respected and in the game for a while. It worries me that anyone wants someone who was part of a St. Louis Defense... though I guess Lovie Smith proved okay.

I can't say I am a fan of the move either. He just never has had a great defense in terms of shutting down opposing offenses. Almost every year it has been in the bottom half of the NFL. Sure, the couple of years with a good scoring defense are nice, but then consider how much they give up.

Sure, hes fiery, but that hasnt helped his defenses yet, and hasnt helped him win games yet. Why is that going to start now? Whats going to be different?

I don't have the stats in front of me but on another thread recently someone had his defensive rankings, and from what I recall it was far from him having bottom ranked defenses almost every year.

You might be thinking of his last two years with that mighty team the St. Louis Rams. See how defensive wiz Steve Spags has turned that whole program of the Rams around? Or maybe not.

Edit: Keep in mind assistant coaches who stink generally DO NOT get promoted to head coach, so you'd figure he has something going for him.

Go back and look at Green Bay's defense this year. It worked pretty well for them. ;)

Green Bay went to the playoffs...They also led the league in turnover ratio...other 3-4 teams would include Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots...all but the Steelers (defending champs) were in the playoffs...

It's seems like from what I read, despite his records as a coach and rankings as a coordinator, he is a highly regarded defensive mind. He's an in your face and fiery type of coach that's not afraid to dig into his player.

Yeah I hear good things about him as a D coordinator, as head coach not so much.

He has great leadership and motivational skills from reports. So Shanny can leave him to regulate that side of the ball(especially since LaCaLoser has reported that there's trouble brewing with Haynesworth).

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d815b6886/Around-the-League

I wonder if the NFL Network realize what a boob he is??

Plus Haslett is well versed in the 3-4 and 4-3 defense. Sounds like a winner to me.

I'm not looking for a prediction on his success or failure here in Washington. I was simply wanting to know more about the man himself and what attributes he brings with him.

I have read all there seems to be printed on him and it still leaves some giant holes. I was hoping maybe someone had a little more info that i couldn't find.

Archived