Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The benefit of Jim Haslett as DC?

Airman67

Well, during the 2008 season I remember when Linehan was fired from the Rams after going 0-4.

Jim Haslett was named the coach, and his 1st game they came to FedEx and got their first of two wins for the entire season. That Defense held us to 17 points.

We were on a 4 game win streak, dropping at least 23.0 points a game. Plus Portis was :pooh:'ing at that time, he went on a 5 game streak of +120 yards rushing. He had 129 yards rushing on them and 2 tds on them, but we still lost.

Yeah I hear good things about him as a D coordinator, as head coach not so much.

Not too bad as a head coach, 6 years with the Saints, they were more or less a 500 club. They had no QB if I recall it was scrubs like Aaron Brooks. One year they made the playoffs, and he won coach of the year. They had really only one bad year, that was the year NO got devastated by the hurricane -- his last year there.

Haslett is a great coach. His defenses are not always ranked in the top spots because he is not always with the best teams. You have to have good players to have high rankings, that is just a fact. He coached the Saints and Rams for god's sake. He was also named the coach of the year as the head coach of the Saints. There are not many D-coordinators out there that have gotten several head coaching jobs, that alone says a lot about this guy's reputation and ability. Nobody can be successful with the Rams, look at Spag? That team is awful. He was the bright spot on that Steelers team, they didn't even have a winning record for 2/3 of those seasons he was there, and he got a head coaching job for the job he did.

Can anyone explain to me why having Haslett here would be a good thing? I'm checking out his track record and nothing is jumping out at me that makes me believe that he could improve this defense.

What does Coach Shanahan know about him and what does he bring?

Best reason I can come up with is that if he is here then Blache is not.

Archived