Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Shanahan expected to retain Campbell

authentic

the list of busts is ALWAYS longer for every position in the NFL, its what makes being an NFL player so difficult. theres more busted LT than there are good ones, because good ones are tough to come by.

the list of guys i posted usually have their teams with winning records and in the playoffs, except cutler, who had no defense in denver and had a crappy year this season.

and it wasnt the line in chicago with cutler, it was their scheme. and im assuming you saw, their ENTIRE offensive coaching staff was fired yesterday.

I get that. I guess my point is that with such a hig pick, I would be in the thought that I need to leverage that pick for the best ROI I can get. Unfortunatley, with a QB, he has either got "it" or"not". With other positions, its a much higher success rate to "coach them up" and get some value for your investment.

You're insane if you don't think Campbell is confident in his talent and skills.

I guess I'm insane, because I don't think the dude is very confident. How else do you explain his consistent hesitancy in getting rid of the ball?

By Shanahan "retaining" Campbell next season here's what I expect to hear 1. He has to learn another new system in his 6th year 2.This is his <fill in the blank> offensive coordinator since he left high school (I always miss the point of that) 3. He has a new offensive line and they need time to figure each other out 4. His stats are lower next season because of 1,2 and 3 5. JC will do just enough for most to believe in him, but not enough to win.

Couldn't put it any better, though not sure about #4, because Shanahan Squared will have such a better clue about running an NFL offense that it will certainly help offensive production/stats. OTOH, the Redskins played such a ridiculously easy defensive schedule this year that the offensive stats are artificially inflated.

But, yeah, I'm already dreading the "another offensive system" and "incohesive OL" excuse trains, should Campbell be retained. Look, Campbell's retention is a huge red flag for me as far as to the QB evaluation skills of Shanahan Squared. I could stomach it if I felt it was for a truly open competition against a non-rookie (I firmly believe rookie QBs shouldn't play). But another year of watching Campbell make ridiculous, fundamental mistakes is not a pleasant prospect.

I was savoring the thought of the last pass Campbell threw as a Redskin being a desperation heave that landed 10 yards out of bounds. It was so appropriate.

The word was also out that the reason Gregg didn't get the HC job was because he wanted to play Todd instead of Jason.

That's interesting and I think one of our ES insiders might confirm this but I believe GW didn't get the "gig" because he never really prepared well for the interviews. He spent a lot of time in idle chatter those 3 meetings versus having a real business plan.

You'd probably have to wait until the 2012 season to find out if Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen are any good. I'd still put my money on Campbell being better than those guys then. The odds are very low that they'd be better than Campbell for the 2010 season. Just look how well #1 draft pick QB Matthew Stafford did with the Lions this past season.

Like a lot of other professional analysts and scouts in the NFL, I think Campbell has some upside. He's not the next Peyton Manning, but probably a good, solid top 10 QB. A lot of struggling teams (like the Redskins) should be happy with a top 10 QB. It ain't easy finding these elusive franchise QBs like Peyton or Tom Brady. The Dolphins have been through about a dozen QBs looking for the "next Marino".

I think it's a no brainer for Shanahan to bring Campbell back for the 2010 season. If they let him go, Campbell could make the Redskins look pretty foolish. I think he could be a pretty good fit with the Carolina Panthers ... even though I'd like so see him compete against Chad Henne in Miami.

The Panthers have a damn good running game with Pro Bowler DeAngelo Williams at running back and 4x Pro Bowler Steve Smith at receiver. The Panthers QB, Delhomme, on the other hand sure looks likes he's on the down side of his career. He wasn't too good at all in 2009. The only QB in the NFL who played worse than Delhomme last year was JaMarcus Russell. That's pretty bad. For 2009, Delhomme had a QB rating of 59.4 while Campbell was 15th in the NFL with an 86.4 QB rating.

stafford started 10 games, won 2 of them. his record was 2-8.

campbell started 16 games, won 4 of them. his record was 4-12.

one is a rookie on one of the worst teams in NFL history.

one is a 4/5 year vet on a team with a solid defense.

you really think we couldnt start a rookie and go 5-11 with shanny as coach? some of you act like we went 10-6 and a rookie wont get us there. any scrub off the street could take us to 4-12 again.

I was told that the Shanny deal was already done around the 14th or 15th of Dec search for it. Also some things are not discussed for obvious reasons.

Again have your fun with it I really don't care. Some are happy that I get a tidbit here and there.

So your source is Lavar Arrington?

the media definitely loves playing pity party with JC, its completely ridiculous, and its because hes such a nice guy that no one wants to slam him. and frankly, most media "experts" dont follow this team anywhere near as closely the members of this board do, so they just look at campbells sack numbers and say "oh man its the oline", and then they look at the boxscore and say "campbells so improved!".

I find it ironic that Campbell had his "best" year so far behind a "crappy" oline. You'd think his numbers would have regressed.

Couldn't put it any better, though not sure about #4, because Shanahan Squared will have such a better clue about running an NFL offense that it will certainly help offensive production/stats. OTOH, the Redskins played such a ridiculously easy defensive schedule this year that the offensive stats are artificially inflated.

But, yeah, I'm already dreading the "another offensive system" and "incohesive OL" excuse trains, should Campbell be retained. Look, Campbell's retention is a huge red flag for me as far as to the QB evaluation skills of Shanahan Squared. I could stomach it if I felt it was for a truly open competition against a non-rookie (I firmly believe rookie QBs shouldn't play). But another year of watching Campbell make ridiculous, fundamental mistakes is not a pleasant prospect.

I was savoring the thought of the last pass Campbell threw as a Redskin being a desperation heave that landed 10 yards out of bounds. It was so appropriate.

couldnt agree anymore. having to wait 8 months to watch that loser flounder around is something im not looking forward to.

and lol at your last part. how awesome would that be that his last pass as a redskin sailed 10 yards out of bounds against the chargers practice squad?

The Panthers have a damn good running game with Pro Bowler DeAngelo Williams at running back and 4x Pro Bowler Steve Smith at receiver. The Panthers QB, Delhomme, on the other hand sure looks likes he's on the down side of his career. He wasn't too good at all in 2009. The only QB in the NFL who played worse than Delhomme last year was JaMarcus Russell. That's pretty bad. For 2009, Delhomme had a QB rating of 59.4 while Campbell was 15th in the NFL with an 86.4 QB rating.

I'd say that they're pretty set with Moore at QB. I don't know that he's a world-beater, but he has certainly shown more than Campbell. The Panthers aren't stupid.

His last 3 games he has led victories against the Vikings, Giants, and Saints. And none of those games were even close.

Just because Campbell went to Auburn doesn't automatically make him good. He's not. The Dolphins are welcome to him.

There was never a good reason to let JC or Carlos any decent RFA walk. Always tender them and see who comes callin and what they are offerring. The signing bonuses are small on tenders so even with a cap they don't hurt to sign and trade.

At worst JC can be a very good backup QB next year.

Thank You! If we tender JC a one year, $1M contract we might be able to get another 1st round pick for him. If another team is willing to sign him for more they'd also have to give up their 1st round pick. It's a win-win situation for us-JC for one year at $1M or an extra 1st round pick. I'd be happy with either option. It would be a mistake to let him leave as an UFA and end up signing elswhere with no compensation.

what happens if some other team offers him a 4-year deal? would the skins match that? Would campbell stay a redskin for a 1-year deal to help groom a rookie QB? something doesn't add up

what coach in their right mind would offer that loser a 4 year deal?

"hey, youve got a horrid win/loss record, you throw short all day, you take forever to grasp simple football concepts, and you still make rookie mistakes on a weekly basis. how does 20 mil over 4 years sound?"

not a chance.

"hey, youve got a horrid win/loss record, you throw short all day, you take forever to grasp simple football concepts, and you still make rookie mistakes on a weekly basis. how does 20 mil over 4 years sound?"

not a chance.

i only say it because there are basically no other good FA QBs available this offseason. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the teams with a QB uncertainty would say hey, wonder what this guy would do with an actual offensive line and capable receivers.

I was told that the Shanny deal was already done around the 14th or 15th of Dec search for it. Also some things are not discussed for obvious reasons.

Again have your fun with it I really don't care. Some are happy that I get a tidbit here and there.

So a day or so before Vinny gets fired/"resigns", your source told you Shanny was a "done deal"--something that was speculated about by damn near everyone and had been reported weeks before that Shanny had been contacted by Snyder in mid-season about becoming the next coach...but your source did NOT tell you Vinny was being fired? lol...Even if you DO have a source it's a piss-poor one. ;)

Don't get your hopes up ... Campbell has little or no trade value. He's a turkey and everyone around the NFL knows it.

True as to little but he does have some to the right team. Maybe not much granted but some. As I said it was just a thought but it has possibilities for both sides to work out something 'fair'. I doubt that Cleveland would forfeit what it would take to sign him in free agency. On the other hand, Quinn does not really seem to be ready to step in tomorrow and DA is just not a better QB than JC is.

not a chance.

Since you've done it multiple times lately . . .

I'd just like to point out the irony of you using the word "loser" to describe a guy who went undefeated at Auburn and made it to become an NFL quarterback - and has gained the respect of his teammates along with being a model citizen - while you sit there and work your desk job . . .

I guess I'm insane, because I don't think the dude is very confident. How else do you explain his consistent hesitancy in getting rid of the ball?

Um, maybe because he wasn't confident in his receivers? lol...Seriously, JC is on record NUMEROUS times talking about how confident he is in his abilities as a good starting QB...in fact many JC bashers hated that he spoke so confidently and labeled him as delusional for doing so.

I find it ironic that Campbell had his "best" year so far behind a "crappy" oline. You'd think his numbers would have regressed.

I find it pathetic that going from 13TD 6INT 84.3 rating to 20TD 15INT 86.4 rating is conciderd a big improvement around here.

It sure looks logical to me that Campbell's numbers are going to go UP once he's taking snaps behind an above average Oline and he gets another star receiver or two.

A good running game like the Panthers or the Dolphins have would sure take the pressure off of him too. It would keep the D-coordinators guessing. When you have a full arsenal of weapons on your offense, each player on that offense is going to have more opportunities to make plays. It makes life really hard for the defenses.

It's that same sort of balance that made Auburn such a good team in 2004 when Campbell was the QB with Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams. They went 14-0 like Alabama has this year. Campbell also had future Pro Bowlers on the Auburn Oline in 2004 too like Marcus McNeill (Chargers) and Ben Grubbs (Ravens). His top receiver was Devin Aromashodu who Jay Cutler really likes this year with the Bears. I bet Campbell would think he died and went to heaven he was ever the QB on a team like that again in the NFL. :D

Just an outside perspective:

Jason Campbell will likely never be a QB who will take you deep in the playoffs. After 5 years in the league, 3.5 as a starter, you would know by now. However, since he'll be a RFA, no one will give up draft choices for him, and the best decision will be to retain him. Why if he's not the answer, because if you guys draft a QB, that player won't be ready to start from day 1. Not unless you want them to get killed (Matt Stafford anyone?)

As far as to draft a QB or not, look at this list of QBs drafted in rd 2 since the 96' draft.

Tony Banks, Jake Plummer, Charlie Batch, Shaun King, Drew Brees, Quincy Carter, Marques Tuiasosopo, Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, Pat White

What does this say, if you don't take a QB in rd 1, you have just a good a chance picking him in rd 3 or later than in rd 2. So assuming there's no labor stopage in 2011, one of two things is gonna happen for Jason Campbell next year. He'll a.) play poorly, which means you guys won't have anyone ready to step in, or when he leaves for a fresh start b.) He'll play well and will be an UFA, which means you'll overpay for a mediocre QB or he'll probably leave.

This is why you guys almost have to draft a QB at #4. Linemen don't take nearly as long to develop so in 2011, you guys can throw out some high draft picks along the o-line with Bradford/Clausen behind center.

And just to add on, tackles taken in rd 2 since the 96' draft

Juan Roque, Jerry Wunsch, Adam Meadows, Anthony Clement, Flozell Adams, Todd Weiner, Chris Terry, Jon Jansen, Soloman Paige, Marvell Smith, Chad Clifton, Todd Wade, Adrian Klemm, Bobby Williams, Maurice Williams, Matt Light, Mike Pearson, Langston Walker, Jonathan Stinchcomb, Jacob Rogers :puke:, Michael Roos, Marcus Johnson, Khalif Barnes, Adam Terry, Winston Justice, Daryn Colledge, Marcus McNeil, Andrew Whitworth, Jeremy Trueblood, Aaron Sears, Justin Blaylock, Eben Britton, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, William Beatty

Since you've done it multiple times lately . . .

I'd just like to point out the irony of you using the word "loser" to describe a guy who went undefeated at Auburn and made it to become an NFL quarterback - and has gained the respect of his teammates along with being a model citizen - while you sit there and work your desk job . . .

so hes a well respected loser?

and lol at you dragging his college accolades in here. by that standard, ryan leaf was a winner!

Archived