Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Shanahan expected to retain Campbell

authentic

We know what Shanny wants (looks for) in a QB (read Elway, Cutler). It is beyond credulity that Shanny will put Campbell in the same company after watching Jason's "mediocre" film. A new HC's statement that he will "evaluate" a 5-yr. QB is not an enthusiastic endorsement given the context of taking over a team that usually occupies last place in its Division and features the worst QB in that Division.

Sorry but if you think either Bradford or Clausen are anything near an Elway I think you might need to put down whatever you're smoking. Same with Colt. And yes, Shanny will watch film of the QBs. Is that such an odd thing for a new coach to do? Don't be surprised at all if they keep Campbell for at least another year. Who else is there besides our 6th round 3rd stringer or a couple of guys who will likely be drafted way ahead of their value (hopefully not by us).

A new HC's statement that he will "evaluate" a 5-yr. QB is not an enthusiastic endorsement given the context of taking over a team that usually occupies last place in its Division and features the worst QB in that Division.

I like how you exclude the other statements Shanny made about Campbell are reduce it to 'evaluate', lol

Here's what he's actually said:

Shanahan on Jason Campbell: "I'm looking forward to working with him. I love the way Jason handles himself. . . . I'm looking forward to watching every play he's had in his career. Hopefully his best years are ahead."

Mike: "I like the way he handles himself. Looking forward to looking at the film. I think I can get him play to the next level. Been around a lot of good quarterbacks. If you want to get better,you'll get better. I will put him in an offense that will help him succeed."

Talking to Kelly Johnson he said:

There's no question he could be [my starting QB] that's what competition's all about, but i thought Jason did a number of great things this season i think you can always tailor an offense towards the talents of your QB...

And Shanny had more good things to say about him on the Doc and Coach T's show

I love it how you guys try to spin these comments as a negative,

you guys are the best!

HTTR!

I love it how you guys try to spin these comments as a negative,

you guys are the best!

HTTR!

But do you honestly think Shanahan would speak negatively of Campbell if that's how he felt? Obviously you don't because you aren't an imbecile.

Thus, we have to take Shanahan's comments with a grain of salt. He obviously has tons of evaluating to do and he is only going to speak positively of Campbell just in case he is stuck with him as his only option.

It is possible Shanahan was being honest but you can't blame us for not being 100% convinced of that.

Not true at all. BMitch and A. Freeman both said very clearly after the final game " keep Campbell and fix the line." Deion and Aikman both said multiple times they thought Campbell could play but needed adequate protection. Colinsworth did not shred Campbell as BLC says. He pointed out that Campbell blew it by not realizing that corner blitz was coming. He also said several times throughout the game that Campbell barely had time t make a 3 step drop, and it had been that way for the last year.

Again, not claiming Campbell is a stud, but what you guys are claiming is simply false.

again, how people cant grasp this is beyond me. no broadcaster is going to completely slam a player like some of us do on this board. in my life ive never heard a broadcaster slam a player hard no matter how bad the performance. ive even seen raiders games with russell playing where hes doing his signature 28% comp percentage deal and the commentators just kindly dissect the problems.

so when campbell takes a 3 step drop, waits 3 seconds and gets face planted, theyre gonna say "on that last pass, protection broke down, but hes gotta make that throw. its tough, but you gotta make that pass". the JC critic on ES says "holy god that was terrible, how do you not throw the ball? what an idiot".

same thing being said, one is from a neutral commentator that gives absolutely 0 cares about campbell and how he fares with this team, the other is a passionate fan who is sick of watching that pass every week and losing constantly.

I don't give a ____ what B Mitch thinks. I think he has organizational conflict issues and Campbell is the stand-in to re-enact the cosmic drama that is B Mitch Beef.

I'm talking about people with no or minimal connection to the team and its history.

BTW, did you watch the Collinsworth-called game? He did point out the times when Campbell got hit but he also (as many others did) pointed out how campbell is supposed to have the ball out after three steps and how that is basic stuff. Collinsworth ate Campbell alive, Lynch was less abrasive in tone but basically said much the same. I'm not sure what planet you're on to claim that COllinsworth didn't eat JC's lunch on that night.

Sorry, I won't let that slide. That night was very hard to watch because it's like Collinsworth just read off ES posts from us critics.

Again, almost no broadcaster will say, "This guy needs to be pulled, traded or cut. Get him out of there and move on." Maybe if the guy is old, they may say he's hit his period of decline. Or if the guy is low-character they may take shots but you never see them throw a decent person all the way into the fire. So you have to judge their words, as you would any public statements by how far it goes for their established boundaries.

Ghost, B-Mitch is brutally honest when it comes to the Redskins. You guys claim that commentators won't be too hard on players...b Mitch does it all the time. B Mitch said after the last game, "You have your QB, now fix the oline". Freeman then promptly agreed.

Same goes for Deion, he regularly calls guys out on NFL Network post game, and he's been saying all season, "give Campbell some time and you can win with him". Aikman is a little more politically correct with his criticism, but he's not afrtaid to criticize either and he made comments similar to Deion's.

Of course I watched the MNF game, and yes I heard Collinsworth's comments about the 3 step drops ect. Collinsworth also said that Campbell has never gotten solid protection under Zorn and that it has had a big effect on his playing. BTW, both of you guys claim that commentators won't make negative comments about players, but that Collinsworth shredded Campbell. Which is it?

Did you guys catch mike and Mike this morning? Stink (Mark Schlereth) commented that Campbell was a good fit for Shannahan's offense and that Campbell would be a Redskin next year. Both Stink and Shannnahan have used the word "compete", which implies that Shanny will either draft a QB, or bring in some competition for Campbell. Stink, btw, played for Shannahan and is another guy who can be brutally honest and not at all afraid to criticize players.

The truth here is that ex players/commentators have been saying all season that the Redskins biggest problem has been in protection. They've pointed out Campbell's weaknesses, which we all agree on, but they've also said that he could be successful with good line in front of him.

BMitch, Deion, Aikman, Stink, Freeman...and gang of HOF players that all say that Campbell will be here. I think they're right. The only way I see this changing is if a franchise QB somehow becomes available, but right now that doesn't look likely, and please don't tell me that Clausen or Bradford are franchise b/c right now they are just as likely to be a Jamarcus Russell as a Peyton Manning.

But do you honestly think Shanahan would speak negatively of Campbell if that's how he felt? Obviously you don't because you aren't an imbecile.

Thus, we have to take Shanahan's comments with a grain of salt. He obviously has tons of evaluating to do and he is only going to speak positively of Campbell just in case he is stuck with him as his only option.

It is possible Shanahan was being honest but you can't blame us for not being 100% convinced of that.

Compare Shannahan's comments about Campbell to those about Portis. About Campbell he said, "I'm looking forward to working with him". About Portis, "We'll have to see".

Unless The Redskins get a much better option, Campbell will be here.

We know what Shanny wants (looks for) in a QB (read Elway, Cutler). It is beyond credulity that Shanny will put Campbell in the same company after watching Jason's "mediocre" film. A new HC's statement that he will "evaluate" a 5-yr. QB is not an enthusiastic endorsement given the context of taking over a team that usually occupies last place in its Division and features the worst QB in that Division.

Stink gave a detailed description of what Shannahan looks for in a QB this morning on Mike and Mike. He said Shannahan looks for a QB that can move in the pocket and make the big throws. He then said that those are Campbell 's strengths. He went on to say that Shannahan's offense usually requires QBs to only read half of the field which would really help Campbell since reading defenses is one of his weaknesses. He felt strongly that Shannahan would keep Campbell. Of course Stink helped win 2 Superbowls in Shannahan's offense so I'd say he's pretty qualified to make that judgement. Would you?

Stink gave a detailed description of what Shannahan looks for in a QB this morning on Mike and Mike. He said Shannahan looks for a QB that can move in the pocket and make the big throws. He then said that those are Campbell 's strengths. He went on to say that Shannahan's offense usually requires QBs to only read half of the field which would really help Campbell since reading defenses is one of his weaknesses. He felt strongly that Shannahan would keep Campbell. Of course Stink helped win 2 Superbowls in Shannahan's offense so I'd say he's pretty qualified to make that judgement. Would you?

theres a thread from a bronco fan on here talking about how shanny needs a QB that can make ALL nfl throws, and is an accurate QB. campbell blatantly cannot make most NFL throws. his slants are terrible, hes got poor touch on his deep pass, and he has issues putting the right touch on passes to the deep middle of the field.

the fan also said that was the issue with griese and plummer, that he had to scale back his playbook with both of those guys, which hindered him, and thats why he took cutler, because cutler could make every necessary NFL throw.

you cannot tell me with a straight face that you think campbell is capable of making all NFL throws.

If Campbell has to win the job in a true competition, I really don't think he will stand a chance. He doesn't seem to be able to perform at the highest level (which is necessary) under pressure.

look at how he performed when the season still had meaning, and how he performed after the games became meaningless. theres a night and day difference, further showing how his mental capacity is sub par for an NFL player.

LoL,

I don't blame i wouldn't expect anything else from certain members of this forum.

You take Shanahan's comments with a grain of salt because you can't fathom that he would like anything about JC.

Shanahan could have said positive things about Campbell in a much more political and impersonal manner then:

I love the way Jason handles himself

I think I can get him play to the next level

i thought Jason did a number of great things this season i think you can always tailor an offense towards the talents of your QB

But you would rather believe that Shanahan is being disingenuous.

Cool

heres a honest question for you, lets say shanny thinks JC isnt very good. when asked about it in the media, what do you think the appropriate response would be?

I agree its common practice for these things to be all coach speak.

But i'll be honest just the way he said it, sounds more than coach speak.

But were not going to know for a while.......so I guess we will all have to be patient and find out....should be interesting...

theres a thread from a bronco fan on here talking about how shanny needs a QB that can make ALL nfl throws, and is an accurate QB. campbell blatantly cannot make most NFL throws. his slants are terrible, hes got poor touch on his deep pass, and he has issues putting the right touch on passes to the deep middle of the field.

the fan also said that was the issue with griese and plummer, that he had to scale back his playbook with both of those guys, which hindered him, and thats why he took cutler, because cutler could make every necessary NFL throw.

you cannot tell me with a straight face that you think campbell is capable of making all NFL throws.

First, I really don't put much stock in what a random Broncos fan says on a message board. I do however put stock in what a HOF player that played for Shannahan says. Do you?

Second. Campbell absolutely has shown he can make all the throws. His problem has been consistency. 1 game he looks great, next game he looks like ****. Sometimes it's even a case of 1 drive he looks great, and the next drive he looks like ****. Campbell's problems have mostly been mental not physical. His problems have been with confidence, reading defenses, ect. He can make all the throws.

I have never claimed that Campbell is a great QB. We were debating whether or not commentators/ex players have said that Campbell can win with the right players around him, and whether or not Shannahan would keep Campbell. I've pointed out several examples of where those people have said yes, and I agree with them.

heres a honest question for you, lets say shanny thinks JC isnt very good. when asked about it in the media, what do you think the appropriate response would be?

He would say exactly what he said about Portis: We'll have to look at the film and see how it turns out, ect, ect.

First, I really don't put much stock in what a random Broncos fan says on a message board. I do however put stock in what a HOF player that played for Shannahan says. Do you?

Second. Campbell absolutely has shown he can make all the throws. His problem has been consistency. 1 game he looks great, next game he looks like ****. Sometimes it's even a case of 1 drive he looks great, and the next drive he looks like ****. Campbell's problems have mostly been mental not physical. His problems have been with confidence, reading defenses, ect. He can make all the throws.

I have never claimed that Campbell is a great QB. We were debating whether or not commentators/ex players have said that Campbell can win with the right players around him, and whether or not Shannahan would keep Campbell. I've pointed out several examples of where those people have said yes, and I agree with them.

Agreed. I dont know if he can make ALL the throws......but he can make the throws necessary to win....if he just found some damn consistancy.

I have no idea but i imagine his statements would have been of a less personal nature.

Shanahan is a smart guy he would have given some indication that the team was going to rebuild and that there would be major changes coming and that some good players might not be on the team and would be given the chance to find homes on other teams.

Something like the answer he gave about the coaches:

On how long it will take him to evaluate the current assistant coaches and what he looks for in his assistant coaches:

“First off, what I would like to do is sit down with every coach that would like to stay here and get to know them, get to know their philosophies and their beliefs. I was an assistant coach for a lot of years. You understand how much time and effort goes into the assistant coaching position and profession. I’ll get a chance to get a good feel on this staff. I am not going to make very many staff moves right away. I want to take my time. A lot of people want to come to the Washington Redskins and be a part of this organization, the history, the leadership and the chance to do things that have been done in the past that will hopefully be done in the near future. I’ll get a chance to sit down with all of those guys and make a decision hopefully in a short time so if they aren’t retained they got a chance to look elsewhere.”

Notice he didn't use word like love or great with any coaches in particular.

Of course Stink helped win 2 Superbowls in Shannahan's offense so I'd say he's pretty qualified to make that judgement. Would you?

Nonsense ... Stink has a virulent anti-Skins agenda and is boiling inside that Shanny is now HC ... he (Stink) would love to see MS fail in that role. Promoting JC as Skins QB will guarantee that result. Stink has no credibilty and is full of shid. Shanny is a winner ... he will not stay will a loser like Campbell.

a broncos fan that cared enough to take the time to write out a long description about a team he passionately cares about on a redskins message board means a lot to me, much more than a lame talking head on a horrid ESPN radio show. again, weve been over this, media heads are never gonna slam players unless theyre just the pinnacle of god awful, which campbell is not.

and if thats true, campbell can make the throws, its like 1/10 times. consistency is EXACTLY his biggest problem and in 5 years you really think thats gonna change in the 6th? cmon dude.

and i know youre not saying hes great, and im merely saying that media heads will paint nice pictures for nice guys like campbell. i bet if you sat down in private with a number of them, theyd give you the skinny. theyre still regular guys and off air, they say the same things we do.

Bmitch is being used in this thread as an example, i met Bmitch at a charity function in 07 and got to play some touch football with him and gary clark. i walked up to him and asked him privately what he thought of our dline (this was back when the dline was playing horribly) and he said and i quote "you could rush the passer better than andre carter". chuckles were had and it was all fun, but theres no way he'd ever say that on the air. thats the point, these guys dont let it go on the air, they sugar coat stuff all the time. its just how it is.

a broncos fan that cared enough to take the time to write out a long description about a team he passionately cares about on a redskins message board means a lot to me, much more than a lame talking head on a horrid ESPN radio show. again, weve been over this, media heads are never gonna slam players unless theyre just the pinnacle of god awful, which campbell is not.

I don't care how much your anonymous Bronco fan cared.lol We know nothing of his credentials.

Sorry, but you're just not making sense. These guys like Stink are paid to speculate and share their opinions. You think they would be kept around if they were always vanilla? Have you listened to Stink on Mike and Mike? He trashes guys all the time. If he thought Campbell wasn't worth keeping around he waould say it. We're not talking about the old guys that do the play by play for CBS, we talking about guys that are paid to share opinons on tv and radio shows. These guys love contraversy and are not at all afraid to make negative comments about players.

Look, you've aligned yourself in this debate with loony tunes like Socal and GregPeck. I'm listing comments from a half a dozen or so HOF former players now analysts.

Nonsense ... Stink has a virulent anti-Skins agenda and is boiling inside that Shanny is now HC ... he (Stink) would love to see MS fail in that role. Promoting JC as Skins QB will guarantee that result. Stink has no credibilty and is full of shid. Shanny is a winner ... he will not stay will a loser like Campbell.

LOL...oh boy.

I don't care how much your anonymous Bronco fan cared.lol We know nothing of his credentials.

Sorry, but you're just not making sense. These guys like Stink are paid to speculate and share their opinions. You think they would be kept around if they were always vanilla? Have you listened to Stink on Mike and Mike? He trashes guys all the time. If he thought Campbell wasn't worth keeping around he waould say it. We're not talking about the old guys that do the play by play for CBS, we talking about guys that are paid to share opinons on tv and radio shows. These guys love contraversy and are not at all afraid to make negative comments about players.

Look, you've aligned yourself in this debate with loony tunes like Socal and GregPeck. I'm listing comments from a half a dozen or so HOF former players now analysts.

steve young slammed him and hes one of the best QBs of all time, so ill take his opinion over whoever else youve got there. aikman is a blatant sugar coater so his opinion is bunk with me.

and my god i refuse to listen to mike and mike, theyre the worst radio show on ESPN besides cowherd. id rather go to the dentist than listen to those two blowhards.

look at how he performed when the season still had meaning, and how he performed after the games became meaningless. theres a night and day difference, further showing how his mental capacity is sub par for an NFL player.

Nope. He started playing better when CP was no longer in the mix. Night and day better.

Archived