Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Shanahan expected to retain Campbell

authentic

I don't care how much your anonymous Bronco fan cared.lol We know nothing of his credentials.

Sorry, but you're just not making sense. These guys like Stink are paid to speculate and share their opinions. You think they would be kept around if they were always vanilla? Have you listened to Stink on Mike and Mike? He trashes guys all the time. If he thought Campbell wasn't worth keeping around he waould say it. We're not talking about the old guys that do the play by play for CBS, we talking about guys that are paid to share opinons on tv and radio shows. These guys love contraversy and are not at all afraid to make negative comments about players.

Look, you've aligned yourself in this debate with loony tunes like Socal and GregPeck. I'm listing comments from a half a dozen or so HOF former players now analysts.

Dont bother... thats a blind man right there. When Rodney Harrison or Cris Carter or other "talking heads" have something negative to say about JC, they become "credible" as "experts". If those same talkin heads say someting positive about JC, they are just being nice. Its pointless really.

add ladel betts to that too then.

so campbell plays well when all of our good players are on IR?

No. Just Portis. Betts was playing better than CP for the very short while he was in there. nfortunatley he got hurt quickly.

Try to spin that differently now...

Dont bother... thats a blind man right there. When Rodney Harrison or Cris Carter or other "talking heads" have something negative to say about JC, they become "credible" as "experts". If those same talkin heads say someting positive about JC, they are just being nice. Its pointless really.

rodney harrison should be taken seriously considering hes the only one whos played against him in a 52-7 drubbing. dont see how you can discredit that.

No. Just Portis. Betts was playing better than CP for the very short while he was in there. nfortunatley he got hurt quickly.

Try to spin that differently now...

nothing to spin. campbell didnt start playing better until portis and betts both went out. his first really good game was the saints game, and both guys were gone before that.

Jason Campbell is an average at best quarterback. There is nothing on any piece of game film anywhere that would suggest otherwise and I defy anyone to try. I don't care who is his coach, that's always going to be the case.

You want to bring him back? Fine, bring him back. The Redskins will be average at best. Signing this guy to a long term deal would be a disaster.

add ladel betts to that too then.

so campbell plays well when all of our good players are on IR?

He had three good games after CP was gone and the season was meaningless. ....1 against the Cowboys where his teams still only scored 6 points and to me I saw a guy who choked at the end of a game when we needed 30 yards to get in FG range. Then the New orleans game he played great...i will give him that. But again, when push comes to shove, we lost, and he blatantly was bad in the last 2 minute drive. Then the Raider game......that will be JC's shining moment.....as a 3-9 squad we went into 4-8 Oaklands backyard and put a beating on them!!! It was Oakland people!! And the best part about that game is even i said after i might be starting to like JC and what does he go and do? Play like he did vs the Giants Dallas and SD.....3 of the worst games i have EVER seen him play. And that solidified everything for me. No chance he gets retained unless to be a backup.

Until I hear Shanahan say it himself, then I'm not buying it. The Redskins long term solution at QB is Campbell. I still haven't heard Shanahan say out of his mouth that he's drafting a QB. Plus, why would Campbell want to stick around, knowing that he won't be the longtime solution at QB? He'd want to go elsewhere since his contract is up. Jason Campbell has earned the right to stay here and lead this team into the future.

He has??? Why? Because he is tough? Jim Zorn is tough. Does that mean he should keep his job? A QB on a 4-12 team doesnt deserve anything but a competition for the job at best the next yr especially when we have seen this nonsense for 3 years now. Its not like this was his rookie year.

rodney harrison should be taken seriously considering hes the only one whos played against him in a 52-7 drubbing. dont see how you can discredit that.

Easily. They drubbed everybody that year. That and Harrison is well know as a blow hard, dirty player and has had multiple fines, suspensions and even was reported as an avid steroid user... Forgive me if I dont find RH a credible source.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

A mock draft...

If a new CBA isn't reached, Jason Campbell will be a restricted free agent. He's expected to be tendered, as he happens to be a good fit for Mike Shanahan's offense.

However, that doesn't mean that the Redskins won't take a quarterback with this selection. They may opt to use Campbell as a transitional quarterback for their quarterback of the future.

New regimes mean new quarterbacks, so unless Shanahan wants to keep Campbell around for a long time, he'll probably choose Sam Bradford. Snyder loves big-name players, so you know he'll definitely sign off on this move.

Bradford has a lot of issues. He was featured exclusively in the shotgun at Oklahoma; his arm strength is very questionable; he barely played this past season; and he's coming off shoulder surgery.

The big key for Shanahan and Snyder is that final item. Keep in mind that the man who performed Bradford's shoulder surgery, Dr. James Andrews, works for the Redskins, so Shanahan and Snyder will have inside information on Bradford's status. If Andrews gives them good news, there's a very good chance that they'll take Bradford.

Easily. They drubbed everybody that year. That and Harrison is well know as a blow hard, dirty player and has had multiple fines, suspensions and even was reported as an avid steroid user... Forgive me if I dont find RH a credible source.

so because rodney harrison was dirty and took steroids, his opinion of campbell, even though hes the only guy with game experience against him, is meaningless?

wow.

so if i asked barry bonds about a certain pitcher, and he said that pitcher threw garbage and was awful, his opinion is bunk, because he took steroids. nice reasoning there.

Peter King doesn't think Campbell will stay around:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/05/mail/index.html

WWSD? What Would Shanahan Do? That's the question on the minds of so many Redskins fans with former Denver head coach Mike Shanahan reportedly agreeing to a deal, and I thought I'd tell you the four things I think he'll do early in his regime:

• Bring his son Kyle in to help develop the next Washington franchise quarterback. Can't see them keeping Jason Campbell, particularly when keeping him means investing in a new contract when he hasn't played well enough to deserve it. Look for the Shanahans to look hard at first-round passers (remember the stunner when they drafted Jay Cutler in 2006?) and particularly at an accurate intermediate thrower coming off elbow surgery, Sam Bradford. Kyle's like his dad, so he'll be looking at the entire field and not caring what the draftniks say. That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see the Redskins pick a quarterback down the line (Zac Robinson, Colt McCoy) and address a terrible offensive line in the first round.

And although King is just another annoying sports "journalist." He does have a point:

Campbell hasn't played well enough to earn a new contract.

Honestly, would anyone on here sign him up for a 3 to 5 year deal at this point and pay him starting-NFL QB money?

Now, if Shanahan wants to keep him around, offer him a 1-year contract to start while he grooms a rookie and builds the offensive line, then I don't see a problem with that.

From a grand-scheme perspective though, Campbell simply isn't in the future of this team and it makes perfect sense why he's not.

And although King is just another annoying sports "journalist." He does have a point:

Honestly, would anyone on here sign him up for a 3 to 5 year deal at this point and pay him starting-NFL QB money?

Now, if Shanahan wants to keep him around, offer him a 1-year contract to start while he grooms a rookie and builds the offensive line, then I don't see a problem with that.

From a grand-scheme perspective though, Campbell simply isn't in the future of this team and it makes perfect sense why he's not.

Agreed. Campbell's progress is turtle-esque in it's pace. One more year to see if an improved OL make him a winner would be acceptable. He won't get any long term offers from anyone else.

If we offer him a one-year deal then I hope someone offers a two and we don't match it.

That is exactly what pretty much everyone that thinks Campbell will be here next year is suggesting.

so because rodney harrison was dirty and took steroids, his opinion of campbell, even though hes the only guy with game experience against him, is meaningless?

wow.

so if i asked barry bonds about a certain pitcher, and he said that pitcher threw garbage and was awful, his opinion is bunk, because he took steroids. nice reasoning there.

Are you that dense? Nevermind. I already know that answer.

Rodney Harrison does not play QB. Heck... he does not even play on offense. He is not a recognized talent evaluator. Nor does he have one on one matches with the QB (likea pitcher to a catcher). Your comparison of football to baseball is like comparing golf to baseketball...

The only reason you consider him credible is because he says something in line with your agenda. Its totally rediculous that you take the opinion of a SS who played one game against JC. The opinion of a known steroid offender and dirty player thathas a known attitude problem. Ignorance is bliss... I guess when your arguments are completely weaksauce, you have to cling on to whatever you can...

This will be a hard year for Jason, First he has to learn a new system. Then MS will make him compete with other guys with the same amount of reps. it won't be like last year Jason gets 100 reps everybody else 8-10, those days are long gone. Since accuracy is the most important thing to MS. How would you like to get in a accuracy contest with Bradford or Brennan. With the drills that MS will come up with for our QBs who ever is left standing is fine by me. Finally the days of embarrassing check downs are over. We will have a vertical game one way or the other. This should be fun year for all of us here.

A lot to do has been made here, and everywhere else about MS comments on Campbell..."I love the way Jason handles himself," Shanahan said. "I look forward to sitting with him and watching film. Hopefully his best years are ahead."

Now many are speculating that this is meant to say that Campbell is safe, but I think it's a pre-sale. Kinda like when you go buy a car and the guy says "man this thing is awesome if I could afford it like you, I'd buy one myself".

I think he's setting up a Campbell sale to the highest bidder, and getting ready to bring in his franchise QB...thoughts?

A lot to do has been made here, and everywhere else about MS comments on Campbell..."I love the way Jason handles himself," Shanahan said. "I look forward to sitting with him and watching film. Hopefully his best years are ahead."

Now many are speculating that this is meant to say that Campbell is safe, but I think it's a pre-sale. Kinda like when you go buy a car and the guy says "man this thing is awesome if I could afford it like you, I'd buy one myself".

I think he's setting up a Campbell sale to the highest bidder, and getting ready to bring in his franchise QB...thoughts?

There are now ten threads on the first page discussing Campbell and/or the fourth pick. Call me when this stuff stops.

Archived