Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kidney stones- Holy Hell that hurt!

ljs

Man - I'm happy to say I'm a survivor too. I'm one of those lucky guys who never seems to get sick or injured but it hit me like a ton of bricks one morning just as you described.

The worst part is the pain migrates so you can't really tell what's going on. I was throwing up ALOT for a couple of hours because the pain was so unbearable. I just puked piles on the bedroom floor - I didn't care. For me it was like getting kicked in the sack really hard over and over. It's just unbelievably nauseating.

My stone was 10mm. I had to get a lithitropsy(sp?). I wouldn't wish this on anyone so I'm glad you made it through man.

I've had a couple. One came out naturally (after I was misdiagnosed as having a rupturing appendix). The other one had to be removed. If you think passing a stone is bad, imagine doctors having to "go up" and get one. You're asleep while it's happening, but the next couple days are rough.

Yeah, ouch. My first stone was incredibly painful, but only in my kidney and it never seemed to pass. A couple years ago was same level of pain but more constant and they determined it was too big for ultrasound so had to catheterize. The catheter had to stay in a week, and urinating was sooo painful. I caught a bunch of stones or remnants of the big one in the screen, and they were evil-looking. All spiky, like the Witchking of Angmar's flail.

--nerding up threads since 2009.

I remember all to well about the back pain & tears and the throwing up etc.. I felt like I was really dying. I got really lucky with the stone, was about the size of a small apple seed and was almost painless.

Not to mention the mental anguish it gives, every bathroom break had me wondering if this was the time it was going to pass.. ughhh

Been there, done that, a few times. First attack was when I was 18 yrs old. The last one was about 13 years ago.

It was very, very painful. I still have 3 stones, lodged in one of my kidneys. They're too large to pass and my urologist told me that as long as they're not bothering me, then the best course of action is to do nothing.

So far, so good....

thats sucks man but be glad that you got stones instead of gout. in some people the uric acid doesnt turn into stones it crystallises in thier joints (mainly their big toe but sometimes knees, instep and shoulders) and you would not believe the stupid amount of pain.I would never have believed I thought it was exagerated. I played football for almost 20 years and had a catastrophic knee injury, a blown out shoulder, and nothing is even close. I had a stone once and it was harsh though , you would think that instead of wasting money on silly stuff they would find cures for these things.

oh try drinking more orange juice supposedly it helps with the acidity in your blood.

what is so strange is that I drink a glass of OJ every morning- ritually. I also drink Cranberry juice regularly and also a good amount of water. Now I'm nervous thinking, damn how much more do I need to drink???

I've started now to drink 2 pints of water in the morning before work, and 4 more pints while at work. That along with my routine of OJ- I cut my coffee intake in half.(1-2 cups per day in stead of 4 or 5) Hopefully it never happens again.

• 2 weeks later...
I woke up today with a dull pain on the right side of my lower back and pelvic area. Dear God please let it not be....

The pain is not as much an indicator as Blood in the Urine, Combine the two and you can pretty much guess what it is. Get a tub of water and start drinking.

How long does the excruciating pain last? Are we talking minutes, hours or more?

You can't ever tell. I had one stuck in my ureter for a couple weeks before it finally had to be extracted. While it was in there, it only hurt occasionally (when it was moving or turning).

I've experienced most of the pain while it's moving. So, if it's big and that takes a long time, it might hurt for a while (but the pain will usually be interrupted as it stops). Once the pain moves down toward the bladder and then goes away, it's sitting in there waiting to come out.

Take a deep breath and let 'er rip at that point!

Good luck!

How long does the excruciating pain last? Are we talking minutes, hours or more?

I had a kidney stone in October. People aren't kidding when they use the word 'excruciating.'

For me the pain came in waves, which increased in length and intensity. The last one lasted about a half an hour and was the worst consistent pain I've ever felt in my life.

Archived