Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Source: Blache already has interviewed for Redskins job

terrifNick21

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/19/source-blache-already-has-interviewed-for-redskins-job/

Posted by Mike Florio on December 19, 2009 10:21 AM ET

Unless they conducted a search even faster than they recruited Albert Haynesworth, the Redskins interviewed multiple candidates for General Manager at a time when they already had someone doing the job.

So it should come as no surprise that they're already interviewing candidates for the position of head coach, despite the fact that they already have one.

Per a league source, the Redskins have interviewed defensive coordinator Greg Blache for the position currently held by his boss, Jim Zorn.

It's unknown when the interview specifically occurred.

By interviewing Blache, the Redskins have complied in advance with the Rooney Rule, which requires at least one minority candidate to be interviewed for every head-coaching vacancy.

We recently speculated, based on the manner in which the Vinny Cerrato-Bruce Allen flip-flop was handled by the team, that the Redskins already have complied with the Rooney Rule as it relates to the head-coaching position.

So, basically, the Redskins are free -- at any time -- to announce that Zorn is out, and to announce that Mike Shanahan (or anyone else, for that matter) is in.

As we pointed out last night, Shanahan definitely is in play for the job. Though it's not a done deal, he has been talking to the powers-that-be for weeks, if not months.

Cue the denials from Blache and/or the Redskins and/or Shanahan and/or Shanahan's minions in the media.

Maybe, if I'm really lucky, UnWise Mike will call me a "cretin" again, too.

Does the league really need the Rooney rule anymore? I don't think any team would hesitate to sign a minority for HC if they have coaching skills. When I think of Dungy, Lovie Smith, Tomlin, etc, I don't think they were hired because of the Rooney rule. The teams that hired them wanted them because of their coaching ability. It's pretty lame PC policy.

Does the league really need the Rooney rule anymore? I don't think any team would hesitate to sign a minority for HC if they have coaching skills. When I think of Dungy, Lovie Smith, Tomlin, etc, I don't think they were hired because of the Rooney rule. The teams that hired them wanted them because of their coaching ability. It's pretty lame PC policy.
The Rooney Rule is a joke anyway imo.

Agree, the rule definitely needs to changed or dropped.

Blache will not be the HC, this is the same thing the Redskins did with Ray Rhodes before hiring Marty it's just to comply with the rule.

Agree, the rule definitely needs to changed or dropped.

Blache will not be the HC, this is the same thing the Redskins did with Ray Rhodes before hiring Marty it's just to comply with the rule.

Exactly. And I think that is why it needs to be changed. Interviewing folks just for the sake of complying with a rule is a waste of time for the organization and for the individual being interviewed.

We all joke about the Rooney Rule and I agree that it's a farce.

I'm not a sensitive guy by any means...but that said, I'd have a hard time being a black coach and knowing why a team is interviewing me, just to be able to fulfill a rule. I think I'd be more insulted on that than if they didn't want to interview me altogether.

ACTUALLY, the Rooney rule helped Mike Tomlin. He really wowed the Rooneys when he interviewed. He wasn't considered a serious candidate by "insiders". But he impressed so much, that he quickly became a favorite.

He is the PERFECT example as to how the Rooney rule can help both sides.

Rooney Rule = Check.

Kind of feel bad to hear that Blache would interview for the head coach's job while the soon-to-be-former head coach is still holding that job.

You'd think Blache would have the respect to at least wait until Zorn was fired.

The Rooney Rule is a joke anyway imo.

Completely agree. I wonder how Greg Blache feels to be made a token AGAIN.

That is what this rule does. It turns qualified coaching prospects into BLACK coaching prospects. I don't think it's necessary, I think it's degrading, and I don't think it has a place in the NFL.

ACTUALLY, the Rooney rule helped Mike Tomlin. He really wowed the Rooneys when he interviewed. He wasn't considered a serious candidate by "insiders". But he impressed so much, that he quickly became a favorite.

He is the PERFECT example as to how the Rooney rule can help both sides.

And for every one Mike Tomlin, there have been a dozen Greg Blache and Ted Cottrell tokens.

In fact, Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy,, they make the rule unnecessary. There's only 32 of these jobs, and each of the owners wants the best man for the job, regardless. They'd be fools to let race guide their hiring of the coach. And if they are THAT ignorant

A/ why would you want to work for them

B/ they'll be the loser they deserve to be.

There's a lot of money at stake. That is what guides these hires. Who can win so I can cash in.

Because of the immediate success of black head coaches after the implementation of the rule, the verdict is obvious for the owners. Color doesn't matter when it comes to winning football.

~Bang

We all joke about the Rooney Rule and I agree that it's a farce.

I'm not a sensitive guy by any means...but that said, I'd have a hard time being a black coach and knowing why a team is interviewing me, just to be able to fulfill a rule. I think I'd be more insulted on that than if they didn't want to interview me altogether.

Isn't that just as discriminatory in a sense as not interviewing someone because of their skin color?

The Rooney Rule is an absolute joke.

Archived