Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Player from "The U"

Bostic Hog

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He was one of the best safeties in the game before his tragic death. I don't care if it was a short period of time. His career was exemplary.

I stand by my vote.

That's understandable but one of the best safeties or the best linebacker of our generation...Even his peers considered Polamalu and Reed to be the two best in the league.

Again, he shouldn't even been an option.

This is probably the correct answer. Although I went with Reed. Kelly isn't a bad selection either.

Agree about ST. Most talented. Maybe. Hell, probably. Best ever? Unfortunately we'll never know that answer. (RIP)

Though I went the opposite route (voting for Lewis) I also agree with you about Reed. He's right up there with Lewis imo. Not sure why you're the only one who has mentioned him thus far.

My sentimentality went with Sean Taylor but sadly we'll never get to find out how great of a player he could have been because as good as he was I think he could have gotten better. As such I went with Ray Lewis not only for longevity in the game but mastery of his position and 100%ness on the field, with that said if we did not lose ST21 I think he might have surpassed Lewis.

This will go over like a lead balloon.

I would argue that ST is better than Reid, think about all of Reids (pick 6's) TD's vs ST's, is there really a comparison.

It seems that every time I turn on the TV Reid is getting a pick and returning it for a TD. He single handedly beat the Skins last year at Ravens stadium, while Sean added a tremendous presence on the field, when he played, it was hard for me to say he was actually better than Reid and Taylor is one of my favorite players ever.

Why does Sean Taylor have more votes than Ray Lewis and Michael Irvin combined?

Seriously guys, we all know that ST was a great player, but he was only just coming into his own when he died. Those other two guys are hall of famers.

The amount of hero worship for Sean Taylor on this site knows no bounds.

The latest ESPN magazine, or some other sports magazine (just read it yesterday and have already forgotten which one it was) had an interview with Ronnie Lott wherein he rated his personal top 5 safeties of all time: Taylor wasn't on the list.

This will go over like a lead balloon.

I would argue that ST is better than Reid, think about all of Reids (pick 6's) TD's vs ST's, is there really a comparison.

It seems that every time I turn on the TV Reid is getting a pick and returning it for a TD. He single handedly beat the Skins last year at Ravens stadium, while Sean added a tremendous presence on the field, when he played, it was hard for me to say he was actually better than Reid and Taylor is one of my favorite players ever.

Taylor was great but he was never on Reed's level. Reed, when he's on, is the biggest defensive game changer in the league and the biggest playmaker. And even Reed isn't as good as Ray Lewis. Sean is ahead because people are finding it hard to put their feelings behind common logic but it was so tragic in how he died that it's understandable.

No love for Warren Sapp?!?

He was a 2x All American at Miami, he won the Lombardi award, the Nagurski award, and the Willis award while there...

Goes on to be a first round NFL pick (12th overall), and becomes one of the most feared defenders in the league on one of the all-time great defenses, for the better part of a decade.

I'm going with Sapp.

No love for Warren Sapp?!?

He was a 2x All American at Miami, he won the Lombardi award, the Nagurski award, and the Willis award while there...

Goes on to be a first round NFL pick (12th overall), and becomes one of the most feared defenders in the league on one of the all-time great defenses, for the better part of a decade.

I'm going with Sapp.

Great player. One of the best DT's on history but Ray Lewis is a 10 time Pro-Bowler, 6 Time First Team All Pro, 2 Time DPOY and Superbowl MVP.

The best player to come from Miami has to be Ray Lewis. Ed Reed down there actually had more of a productive career down in Coral Gables than Sean. Sean is still one of my favorites, but he leaves the biggest question, "What If...?" He only played 3 full seasons, made 1 pro bowl, and Reed was/is an All-Pro.

I think Lewis is the best of the bunch, considering his production, longevity, and leadership qualities. He might not be a good person, but no one can deny his excellence as a player.

As for people complaining about votes for ST, do you even know where you are? You're on a website run and frequented by Redskins fans. Sean Taylor was one of the most beloved Redskins in franchise history and died a tragic death. Moreover, while he wasn't in the league for a long time, I think pretty much every football fan and player recognized his ability to be one of the best safeties of all time. So, it's not as though it's unreasonable to include his name in the poll.

While I don't think he was a better player than some of the other players mentioned in the poll, I find it pretty sad that you are so perplexed by the fact that people have voted for him. I also find it incredibly annoying that your rage meters go off the charts when people are expressing love for the man.

Sean Taylor is the easy homer pick. But I went with Ray Lewis.

Agreed. I wanted to pick Taylor really badly, but Ray Lewis has been a top 5 MLB in the NFL for so long and as Bang mentioned, is considered by many to be the best MLB ever. Gotta go with Ray Ray.

The answer is Irvin. I know we all hate the bum but that aside the man's directly responsible for the mystique of the "U" and keeping it relevant and was one of the best WR's ever to play the game. He got my vote

Irvin was a great receiver but his career accomplishments are extremely overrated. He was in the company of multiple contemporary players such as Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Art Monk, and Gary Clark and was dwarfed entirely by one Jerry Rice. Ed Reed's skillset is incomparable to that of any other modern-day player. In fact, the only NFL safeties I could find whose interception numbers are comparable to his are Emlen Tunnell (NYG 1948-1958, GNB 1959-1961) and Paul Krause (WAS 1964-1967, MIN 1968-1979).

As for people complaining about votes for ST, do you even know where you are? You're on a website run and frequented by Redskins fans. Sean Taylor was one of the most beloved Redskins in franchise history and died a tragic death. Moreover, while he wasn't in the league for a long time, I think pretty much every football fan and player recognized his ability to be one of the best safeties of all time. So, it's not as though it's unreasonable to include his name in the poll.

Very well said.

Irvin was a great receiver but his career accomplishments are extremely overrated.
Forget stats, there are those players you had to see play to appreciate them. If I had to start a team with 2 receivers from history, they would be Rice and Irvin. Both were unstoppable when it mattered.

Irvin was the heart and soul of those Cowboys dynasty teams, and it took a LOT of on the field leadership to be able to run that circus the way he did.

His contributions go beyond his stats on paper.

This. Guy worked his ass off, and made sure you did too. And if you didn't? Scissors to the throat.

Archived