Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: One name not under consideration

JimmiJo

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=2432

One name not under consideration

By John Pappas

Warpath Confidential Editor

The Washington Redskins are in the midst of a horrible season. Possibly the worst seen around here in a generation. At 3-8, facing increasing injuries, and with a pretty tough remaining schedule, the question is not really whether the Redskins will win many more games. A better question is; will Washington win any more games.

It is the kind of season that will prompt a change in coaches following the season. Especially with this owner. The word on the street is head coach Jim Zorn has almost no chance of retaining his job. It is also possible that vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato may be dismissed, or have his role reduced.

This probable reality has pundits and fans conjecturing on who the likely coaching replacement will be, and if he will be granted team president status. Names such as Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, and Shanahan have been bandied about. But reports say that Bill Cower won’t work here, Jon Gruden has signed an extension at ESPN, Mike Holmgren was publically critical of the manner in which Zorn was treated in having play calling taken away, and Mike Shanahan is already being courted by Buffalo, who got a head start on their search by firing head coach Dick Jauron in November.

And if Shanahan goes to Buffalo, what then?

Conventional wisdom says owner Dan Snyder wants someone with pedigree, who is a proven commodity. It is thought Snyder wants a coach who has already made a name for himself in the league.

There is one such former head coach who will likely be available this offseason. One who told friends in January that he would like to roam the sidelines again. One who committed to his team for only the current season. One with the juice to bring instant prestige to Washington.

Bill Parcells.

As a head coach Parcells has earned two Super Bowl rings, three conference championships, and eight division titles. He has appeared in the Super Bowl three times, and has taken two different teams there. He has had winning records in 13 of his 19 season as a head coach. Parcells has produced winning seasons at least half the time at every team he has coached. His coaching descendents are guys like Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin, and Sean Payton.

And in the Redskins' heyday of the 1980s, Parcells bested Washington head coach Joe Gibbs 11 of 17 times in head-to-head matchups.

Best of all, Parcells knows personnel. He was instrumental in building the talent on teams such as Dallas and Miami. Many believe Dallas enjoyed their 13-3 season record in 2007 because of the team Parcells helped build. And the Dolphins went 11-5 and won the AFC East after Parcells took over as team president.

In Miami, he made a deal to bring in Chad Pennington at quarterback, and hired Tony Sporano as head coach; moves that paid off as Miami won their first division title since 2000, and made their first playoff appearance since 2001.

Parcells has proven he knows how to coach, and how to build a team. Two skills Washington is in dire need of.

But in order for Parcells to come here, he will probably want full control of the football operation. And this is something Snyder is reported to be reluctant to give up. Snyder tried this once before with Marty Schottenheimer, but let him go when Schottenheimer was unwilling to give up partial control of the operation his second year, despite finishing strong his first and only season. Joe Gibbs was given team president status, but it worked only because he gave Snyder a full seat at the table.

Reports say that Cowher will not come as he too wants absolute control, ala Schottenheimer. At the same time however, the current command structure of Cerrato in charge of operations with Snyder having significant input is not only failing, it may inhibit some coaches from coming here.

This leaves Snyder in a bind. On the one hand, things are so bad his fan base is leaving. On the other, giving up full control is anathema to him. But not doing so may prove to be an impediment to getting a marquee name to coach.

In Parcells, Snyder could have proven coach whose name alone would bring respectability back to Washington. His football and personnel knowledge could be instrumental in returning the team to success.

But to get him, Snyder would have to remove himself from the table. And this is not likely to happen.

Note: Site is down for maintenance. Entire article posted.

I don't know if I like the idea of Parcells roaming the sidelines. Too much of a quick fix like we did with Gibbs.

Now if we want to bring Tuna in as GM with the notion that he has the knowledge to hand the operation off to a good football mind after he leaves (and I don't think he'd stay very long), that's another story.

Having the opportunity to acquire Bill Parcells, and not taking it because he doesn't want to give up control, would have to rate as the single dumbest decision Snyder has made in a decade.

Agree 100%!!! If we have the chance to get this guy in here and fix this mess you have to do it. Pay him whatever he wants b/c you know he will get the job done!

Can you imagine CP trying to pull the crap he does with the coaches now with him? :saber:

I would like to see Parcells in a Team president/GM role...let him build the team. Let him groom a next coach. That could even be Zorn if Parcells likes him. I think it could work if they were given the ability to let it work.

That being said, I don't see Danny releasing all control for more then a few weeks. What a shame. So many good ideas, but our owner will refuse to get out of his own way.

:dallasuck

why not? we all know we need someone to build a team, neither gruden or shanny has proven that they can do that

Gruden's Raiders made the playoffs twice and the year immediately following his departure went to the Super Bowl. Prior to Gruden arriving the Raiders were 4-12 under Coach Bugel. Additionally, Gruden coached the Raiders to their first division title in 10 years.

Parcells has been and always will be overrated.

He's won nothing without some dude named Belichick running his defense.

Joe Gibbs has won a Super Bowl more recently than Bill Parcells.

But the number one reason why Bill Parcells would be yet another horrible shortsighted move, he's gone in a couple of years at most. Then what?

Does Danny stick with whatever plan Parcells begins to implement or does he blow it all up again?

Just say no to anymore quick fixes.

Whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.

And for Parcells?

In our dreams. Please God, just once.

Wow, call out much. Would be nice to read your basis for this thinking. Not calling you a liar, but some elaboration would be great.

And the article answered it's own question. Parcells won't be considered here if Snyder will not give up total control.

Gibbs had complete control, right?

He supposedly had final say, but he had far from complete control. He let Snyderatto play in the sandbox too much. So much that they thought they could do things on their own after Gibbs retired. It was like giving a 10 year old a drivers license. He might be able to reach the pedals, but it doesn't mean he knows how to drive.

I'd be all for parcells... he has a good history personnel wise and even more impressive is his eye for coaching talent... I wouldn't expect him to last long on the sidelines of DC, but I'd be confident he'd leave us with a very capable successor and in the meantime have changed the roster and culture of this franchise...

I just can't see snyder giving up his toy though...

Having the opportunity to acquire Bill Parcells, and not taking it because he doesn't want to give up control, would have to rate as the single dumbest decision Snyder has made in a decade.

Since this is so true, I HAD to quote it. As soon as DS decides he wants to win over selling merchandise, we will be MUCH better off.

But then, it's his team and he can do as he wishes. :chair:

Parcells has been and always will be overrated.

He's won nothing without some dude named Belichick running his defense.

Joe Gibbs has won a Super Bowl more recently than Bill Parcells.

But the number one reason why Bill Parcells would be yet another horrible shortsighted move, he's gone in a couple of years at most. Then what?

Does Danny stick with whatever plan Parcells begins to implement or does he blow it all up again?

Just say no to anymore quick fixes.

Parcells is the best at turning a team around. He has a keen eye for talent both in players and coaching. Anything is better than what we have!

I'd be all for parcells... he has a good history personnel wise and even more impressive is his eye for coaching talent... I wouldn't expect him to last long on the sidelines of DC, but I'd be confident he'd leave us with a very capable successor and in the meantime have changed the roster and culture of this franchise...

I just can't see snyder giving up his toy though...

I think the text that I bolded/underlined in your post is the key. If he comes in and puts forth a blueprint of how to run the franchise as well as names/grooms a successor for the football operations and head coaching positions, I think it would be a great move. Otherwise, it would be a 2-3 year fix.

Shanahan didn't win anything without Elway.

Parcells didn't win without Bellichick. In fact, I think he was under .500 without him.

Cowher got lucky one year and got a ring. Before that, he was Schottenheimer II.

Gruden took an established team with a great defense and kicked the offense in the ass enough to get it over the hump. After that, not much in the way of extended success.

Holmgren was out of gas in Seattle when he retired.

Billick was touted as an offensive genius but couldn't find a QB with a bloodhound. His ring is courtesy of the Lewis Boys, Marvin and Ray.

You can't pick a coach BEFORE you get a good GM in here. That's the way Car Seat Danny and Vinny the Ninny do it.

The shopping trip has to be for a GM, not a coach. And folks, Danny isn't going to give up his toy to anyone.

Prepare for a disappointing off-season.

ODE To Mediocrity:

Dan and Vinny

Means about 4 Winny

Laurel and Hardy

Ain't gonna find Lombardi

They ain't gonna win

By hiring The Chin

You won't see the Tuna

Either later or soona

Denver Mikey

Ain't that likely