Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WPC: One name not under consideration

JimmiJo

Because this worked so well with Zorn.

Wow.

Never go into research, man, ever. You're taking one example and extrapolating it to make it universally reliable and are about to look like an idiot when one lists every single coach who ever did anything brilliant, Parcells included, who started when he was, *GASP!*, young.

:doh:

parcells would be fine,no more of this west coast crap. get back to sno locker football.it would be great,especially as gm.i hope Snyder has made the descion to get rid of cerrato and turn the front office and the team upside down and put it back together right.well,i can dream can't i?

Because this worked so well with Zorn.
Wow.

Never go into research, man, ever. You're taking one example and extrapolating it to make it universally reliable and are about to look like an idiot when one lists every single coach who ever did anything brilliant, Parcells included, who started when he was, *GASP!*, young.

:doh:

Not to mention that Zorn is anything but "young"...he's older than a couple of the "old" coaches we're considering.

Parcells as coach, NOT going to happen. He'll be 69 years old next year and he hasn't indicated whether he would even want to coach again. He'll be picked up by someone else as a GM for a couple more years or he'll be back on TV as another NFL talking head.

Not true. As I cite in the story, Parcells told friends in January he would like to "roam the sidelines again."

Not true. As I cite in the story, Parcells told friends in January he would like to "roam the sidelines again."

It's an interesting concept. If he could devise a plan that would name successors, etc. it could be cool.

For example:

- Parcells will run football operations, appoint a VP-in-waiting, hire a GM, and coach for 2 years

- After 2 years, those 3 men (Parcells, the VP-in-waiting, and GM) will hire a new coach and he steps down from both positions

- Redskins win consistently for 2 decades

If something like that were to play out, I'd be OK with him as a "stop-gap" solution since there would be a plan in place.

Yes...not nearly as interesting/successful as the phenomenal performance a dwindling redskin fanbase has been subjected to over the last decade of GROSS FO INCOMPETENCE & EGOTISM.

Tell me that you get goosebumps just thinking about your favorite team rising from the ashes of a 46% win percentage to the dizzying heights of 53%.:D

Oh, and if we hope to downgrade the effect of egotism on our decision-making, I really don't think that Bill Parcells improves us enough.

It's an interesting concept. If he could devise a plan that would name successors, etc. it could be cool.

For example:

- Parcells will run football operations, appoint a VP-in-waiting, hire a GM, and coach for 2 years

- After 2 years, those 3 men (Parcells, the VP-in-waiting, and GM) will hire a new coach and he steps down from both positions

- Redskins win consistently for 2 decades

If something like that were to play out, I'd be OK with him as a "stop-gap" solution since there would be a plan in place.

Since Parcells has had three tries and, so far, hasn't done anything like that, why would you expect it here?

Tell me that you get goosebumps just thinking about your favorite team rising from the ashes of a 46% win percentage to the dizzying heights of 53%.:D

Oh, and if we hope to downgrade the effect of egotism on our decision-making, I really don't think that Bill Parcells improves us enough.

egotism coupled to competence and proven success is a difference maker!!! nice try though.....:D

Parcells knows how to build teams - and that would be an improvement over the mush we have in place now. no matter how statistics are arbitrarily lined up/cherry picked.

Since Parcells has had three tries and, so far, hasn't done anything like that, why would you expect it here?

because...at some point...every organization needs a firewall that turns the tide. what we have now is completely incompetent/dysfunctional. if Parcells managed to move things in the direction of mild incompetence that would be a major victory...:D

I have always considered Parcells a short-term gun for hire since he left the Giants. You rent him rather than hire him. But I agree that he is exactly what the franchise needs right now and if you can get him, you should. He has proven that he can change a losing culture in a short amount of time in modern football. He has also proven that he can lay the groundwork for continued success once he is gone — in some cases (Patriots) greater success than when he was there himself. Joe Gibbs tried to do this in his last go around, and in some ways succeeded. But I have always believed that the magic of Joe Gibbs is in the man himself, not in his ability to groom others to continue what he brings to the table.

For all the old timers out there, think about Vince Lombardi coming to the Skins in 1969. He only coached the Skins one season before he died. But he changed a losing culture into a winning one that paved the way for a two-decade run of relatively consistent success (George Allen through Coach Joe.)

...Parcells knows how to build teams...

...that win 54.7% of their games (Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins)...but never a Super Bowl. He's a proven mediocrity. Good God, let's hire somebody who gives us hope of becoming an elite team!

Let's start with intelligence. We want someone smart enough to compete with Belichick. Holmgren, Shanahan, Gruden, Parcells and Cowher don't qualify. They have already shown they can't compete with him.

...that win 54.7% of their games (Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Dolphins)...but never a Super Bowl. He's a proven mediocrity. Good God, let's hire somebody who gives us hope of becoming an elite team!

Let's start with intelligence. We want someone smart enough to compete with Belichick. Holmgren, Shanahan, Gruden, Parcells and Cowher don't qualify. They have already shown they can't compete with him.

While I would like to find the next intelligent up and comming coach, that won't help us because Snyderatto would still be making the personel decisions. That's why we need a coach who will demand full control. I think Parcells is better than Holmgran/Shanahan/Cowher in this department.

You say he only wins 54.7% and no Super Bowls, but that isn't correct. He left the Patriots in great shape to become a Dynasty. He put together that initial team. He hired Belichick on his staff.

The jets haven't done much, but like the skins, they have changed coaches/systems multiple times.

As much as I hate the Cowboys, he did leave them with a good team. They are a playoff contender every year, while we are already out of it by mid season. Lucky for us, they have a choke artist QB to ruin them in Dec/Jan.

Miami, while by no means a great team, looks to have some nice young talent, and light years better than their 1-15 season a few years ago.

I would love to have Parcelles come put together a team for us and then pick his head coach to take over when he's ready to leave. That would be much better than anything Snyderatto could come up with.

Also, about your "smart enought to compete with Belichick" comment. I think he's a bit overrated. Yes, he is a great coach. But take away Brady (and that offense in general) and he doesn't have three rings.

Having the opportunity to acquire Bill Parcells, and not taking it because he doesn't want to give up control, would have to rate as the single dumbest decision Snyder has made in a decade.

I agree Mark if you're referring to the Team President/GM role, but I wouldn't be a fan of seeing the Tuna as coach. He's shown over the years that he can put a team together, but four years in Dallas produced no playoff wins and he'll be 69 by the time the season starts next year. He'd mold the team to his liking, but it would probably turn out to be Gibbs 2.0 part 2 because I'm thinking he wouldn't hang around as coach for very long given his age.

TK, you've thrown out to many bones. We should all know that Shanahan's the man in 2010. It's a forgone conclusion. Personally, with what's out there I think he fits best here in DC than any other HC available. We have a decent DF and OF is what is needed here.

I wouldn't necessarily etch it in stone yet. He's also rumored for the Bears job. Lovie Smith is likely to be fired and more than likely so is Jerry Angelo, so that would open up complete control if Shanny goes there. Not to mention Shanny's got roots in Illinois, and of course it would re-unite him with Jay Cutler.

Archived