Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A question about cancelling season tickets

Rhodus333

I disagree. I got about 180% for my Cowboys tickets recently. Granted, this is a down year and in year's past, you could net somewhere around 250% or more if you timed it properly. But Redskins-Cowboys is a special game that people will pay a premium to attend in any year. Everybody should go to at least one. I personally hate selling my tickets to that game, but you have to do what you have to do in times like these to balance out the losses that you take on other games. A wise buyer can still get a deal, but sellers can still get 150%, as bad as the Redskins are.

I have not paid more than $50 for a ticket on the secondary market since RFK. This includes Cowboys, Giants, even the Bills game for the Taylor tribute. And those $50 tickets were club level, 45 yard line, 4 rows up.

250%? Someone's getting ripped off. Big time.

fair enough. i never do that, i always sell my tickets at face. never more never less. i'm strickly going off what coworkers tell me they do with their tickets. so i don't have much first hand knowledge of it.

i let my coworker buy the cowboys tickets this year beacuse he's never been to a cowboys skins game before. i feel dumb for doing that, but oh well, he'll finally get to experience it.

Yeah, I'd like to do that, but I just can't afford it. I give away preseason tickets generally, but I guess that isn't much of a concession! In my opinion, the Redskins should publish different pricing levels for the face values of the various games on the home schedule.

I'm looking at some completed listings on ebay and the 2 most recent are somebody getting about $280 for 2 in 220, Row 9 (Is that $99 face?) and somebody getting $240 for 2 in 452, Row 7 (Is that $79 face?). You can shed a few percent for shipping and ebay/paypal fees, but sellers are still doing OK for the Cowboys game.

I have not paid more than $50 for a ticket on the secondary market since RFK. This includes Cowboys, Giants, even the Bills game for the Taylor tribute. And those $50 tickets were club level, 45 yard line, 4 rows up.

250%? Someone's getting ripped off. Big time.

Like I said, savvy buyers can always find deals. Clearly, you know where and how to look for a deal. But the only people getting ripped off are the STHs that can sell Cowboys for 250% of face and would still lose on an entire season package if they elected to sell them all. I mean look at what the STHs or scalpers lost selling tickets to you.

I was discussing this with a friend in a restaurant the other night, and someone at the bar overheard the conversation. He came over and had the nerve to call me a bad fan by supporting the team. Basically he's saying that if I love the Redskins I should turn them into a sacrificial lamb so that it hurts Snyder. I'd love to hurt Snyder either image-wise or in the wallet, but I'm sorry...I'm not willing to give up my love of the Redskins in doing so. It goes against everything I believe in, and furthermore it would seem somewhat superficial to just show up at the stadium again once this storm has passed. People are free to do what they want with their money, but I'll never stop supporting the Redskins.

MTH and others beat me to it by saying that yes, people like you are indeed a part of the problem. Now before you go getting all defensive, just hear me out.

We are all fans. Huge fans. And yet, many of us are going to differ over what constitutes supporting the team and enabling an incompetent, meddlesome, and despotic owner. I accept, understand and respect that.

Look, Snyder has us by the short hairs and he knows it. To us, Redskins football is about so much more than just football. However, to Snyder the Skins are a money machine and this is about business. And even though I do think Snyder is a fan, he's clearly compartmentalized his inner fan from his outer businessman.

So, the only way to address that issue is to step back, take a deep breath and do what needs to be done. If that means keeping your long-held season tix and not buying any concessions at the game, great. Or, if it means you let everything Skins related go for a while, that's great too. However, I think it's clear we can't just go on with business as usual and expect that Snyder will figure it out on his own. That's just not human nature and it most certainly isn't Snyder's nature.

i don't think you should do anything mean to them, or dislike them, or whatever. but youc an recognize them for waht they are - people who only care about a winning team...

This is nonsense. What we want is a team that goes about trying build a program to win in competent fashion, that respects the fans by providing them with a great gameday experience, that's not a laughingstock, and that treats all its people as much like family as possible.

Certainly any sports franchise could be expected to fall down in some of these areas from time to time. However, the Snyder led Redskins organization has more often than not come up woefully short on most, if not all of these things during most of his tenure. It's time for that to stop while our club still has a modicum of respect left.

Hopefully I can jump up like 50,000 or so, assuming all of you are being honest when saying you aren't renewing.
You are a horrible human being! You are only encouraging Dan Snyder on his path to destroying the Redskins!! EVIL!!!!

Joking, I will not be releasing my tickets. I will be in the clubs for the next 2 seasons, and then hopefully in 401 or 454 Row 1. If I am so lucky, I hope to have the tickets in my name for the next 50 years and then pass them down to my child.

I think sold out stadiums months in advance will eventually go the way of the buggy whip. It might take 10-20 years or so, but tickets are just too easy to trade on the internet. There's no longer any reason to hang all that money out so early in the year, there's no longer any reason to pay more than is necessary, and there's no longer any reason to sit in row 20 something of the upper level unless your budget forces you.

I think the lure of season tix will eventually become a thing of the past.

Letter to the editor in the Wash Post this morning:

Amid all of the angst about the Redskins' performance, I feel most people are missing the point.

There are die-hard fans and there are fans who defect to other teams out of frustration, but I believe the right course is in the middle. Being a fan is like being a parent, especially if you are a hometown fan. The issue isn't whether you care about the team in good times or bad. The issue is whether you support them financially no matter what.

In other words, will you be a good "parent" and hold back to discipline your team, or will you be a bad "parent" and spoil them regardless of how they play?

It's time for fans to be good parents and watch them from home, not at the stadium. If we keep spoiling them, we send the wrong message to the owner and the team that they don't have to be playoff contenders to receive financial support.

Stan Lee, Gaithersburg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/29/AR2009102904379.html

I would of told that farker to stop evesdropping and leave me the hell alone. Evesdropping? sounds like a snyder yes man, STHU loser

I was discussing this with a friend in a restaurant the other night, and someone at the bar overheard the conversation. He came over and had the nerve to call me a bad fan by supporting the team. Basically he's saying that if I love the Redskins I should turn them into a sacrificial lamb so that it hurts Snyder. I'd love to hurt Snyder either image-wise or in the wallet, but I'm sorry...I'm not willing to give up my love of the Redskins in doing so. It goes against everything I believe in, and furthermore it would seem somewhat superficial to just show up at the stadium again once this storm has passed. People are free to do what they want with their money, but I'll never stop supporting the Redskins.

You are a horrible human being! You are only encouraging Dan Snyder on his path to destroying the Redskins!! EVIL!!!!

Joking, I will not be releasing my tickets. I will be in the clubs for the next 2 seasons, and then hopefully in 401 or 454 Row 1. If I am so lucky, I hope to have the tickets in my name for the next 50 years and then pass them down to my child.

And I'll be giving up my tickets and still sitting next to you for less than face, without having to buy preseason tickets.:silly:

I agree.

It has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan.

Why take time and effort to get to a game and pay to watch a team that gets dominated by teams like the Lions and the Chiefs.

So they would only deserve "time and effort" if they were a better team?

Yeah sounds nothing like fair weather...

*To be clear, I'm not really criticizing the generic stance as much as your presentation of it.

What's kind of interesting about the guy's letter is, he's saying both types of "parents" (those who support the team financially in good times and bad, and those who discipline the team by holding back financially when necessary) love their team. It's not a question of whether or not either type of fan loves or cares about his team. They both do.

But throwing money endlessly at the team in good times and bad does not promote excellence.

The man's point is, disciplining the team, when needed, by holding back financially, will much more likely build a productive entity that the fans will some day be proud of.

It's time for fans to be good parents and watch them from home, not at the stadium. If we keep spoiling them, we send the wrong message to the owner and the team that they don't have to be playoff contenders to receive financial support.

Stan Lee, Gaithersburg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/29/AR2009102904379.html

Good point, but it's probably a lot simpler than a "parent" analogy (although it's hinted at in that letter). It's just a matter of support and financial support. You are still a fan if you support the team, but you don't have to give your financial support.

The problem is, everyone is going to have opinions on what the owner is doing wrong when they are losing, and be convinced they are right. That much is obvious. So when we say "If only he would do it right, I'd support them" - I mean, I understand totally what is meant by that, with a GM and everything, and everyone did give Snyder 10 years to sort of "do it his way" before this happened - but there is still a part of me which finds it convenient for people to "step away" while the Skins are losing.

Another sad aspect of this is the image of the fanbase will ultimately suffer regardless of the intention - as already evidenced by quotes from some of our players (particularly some that are well-respected, like Cooley).

same here, i can't give them up.

i jsut talked to my dad, who used to have the tickets before i got them.

he laughed, and said 'they've been worse than this, believe it or not. it happens, every team goes in cycles'.

the then made comments about the 'fair weather' fans in DC. I tried to defend it, saying whats going on now is pretty bad, he still insisted DC is, and always has been, full of fairweather fans.

he then tried to tell me it can't all be snyders fault, and that at the end of the day its the players who aren't playing well.

(not completely agreeing with him, just sharing what a life long season ticket holder, who missed 5-6 games from the 60's to 2006 when he gave them up and i took over, had to say this morning.)

I'm 40 years old. Probably a few years younger than your dad (hopefully since that would make him about 16 when you were born):D

Anyway, this is the worst I've ever seen as a lifelong diehard fan. My father and I still get together every Sunday and hope for a change. We've been doing that for quite a few years and counting.

Although we've never owned season tickets, we usually make 2 trips a year to see the team. That is, until 3 years ago. We've felt the product on the field is just not worth the time or money to see in person.

I'll always be a 'Skins fan. There simply is no other team for me or my father, but I refuse to spend any money on an inferior product.

If this makes us "fairweather fans", then so be it. At least we'll have a little more jingle in our pockts in these trying times...

I think sold out stadiums months in advance will eventually go the way of the buggy whip. It might take 10-20 years or so, but tickets are just too easy to trade on the internet. There's no longer any reason to hang all that money out so early in the year, there's no longer any reason to pay more than is necessary, and there's no longer any reason to sit in row 20 something of the upper level unless your budget forces you.

I think the lure of season tix will eventually become a thing of the past.

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE THE REDSKINS HAVE BEEN CALLED "THE HOTTEST TICKET IN TOWN?"

Maybe by the time we play the Giants and Cowboys, they will be called "The hottest ticket for out-of-towners."

Another sad aspect of this is the image of the fanbase will ultimately suffer regardless of the intention - as already evidenced by quotes from some of our players (particularly some that are well-respected, like Cooley).

Right, so the fans should just continue to shovel out money to the team despite us playing as bad as the Bucs, Bengals, Lions teams of the past ever have.

As long as fans are buying it up win or lose people like DS will never change anything. The team is worth 2x as much as it was a decade ago while we've seen almost no good and 6 different coaching staffs.

DS needs to be told. He doesn't get it otherwise.

I remember the Bullets of the 80s and 90s being so bad that all their advertising campaigns were centered around the opponent.

"Come see Patrick Ewing and the Knicks!"

"You don't want to miss Micheal Jordan and the Bulls!"

Well, the 6-0 Broncos are coming to Fedex in 2 weeks. Don't miss it!

Sometimes traditions must be broken in order to look forward to a better future for yourself. You need to ask yourself if you are adding value to your life by keeping the tickets.

If you are still enjoying going to games and don't mind the effort and other drawbacks, and there is value added to your life from attending games, then you are better off continuing to purchase your season tickets. As long as it is not tearing your family or your financial house apart, you are better off.

If you don't enjoy going to games, hate the effort, cost, and other drawbacks, and are keeping the tickets only as a favor to your family, then you are not adding value to your life. That's not healthy. Even though you think that might not be the best thing to do because your family would come down on you hard, it is all about you at this point.

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE THE REDSKINS HAVE BEEN CALLED "THE HOTTEST TICKET IN TOWN?"

Maybe by the time we play the Giants and Cowboys, they will be called "The hottest ticket for out-of-towners."

IMO, the Caps have far surpassed the Skins as the "hottest ticket in town." They've got the MVP as the cornerstone of their franchise and more importantly, have a GM and owner that know how important winning is to the fans. Those two prime time home games vs the 'Boys and Giants are going to be flat out embarrassments.

MTH and others beat me to it by saying that yes, people like you are indeed a part of the problem. Now before you go getting all defensive, just hear me out.

We are all fans. Huge fans. And yet, many of us are going to differ over what constitutes supporting the team and enabling an incompetent, meddlesome, and despotic owner. I accept, understand and respect that.

Look, Snyder has us by the short hairs and he knows it. To us, Redskins football is about so much more than just football. However, to Snyder the Skins are a money machine and this is about business. And even though I do think Snyder is a fan, he's clearly compartmentalized his inner fan from his outer businessman.

So, the only way to address that issue is to step back, take a deep breath and do what needs to be done. If that means keeping your long-held season tix and not buying any concessions at the game, great. Or, if it means you let everything Skins related go for a while, that's great too. However, I think it's clear we can't just go on with business as usual and expect that Snyder will figure it out on his own. That's just not human nature and it most certainly isn't Snyder's nature.

This is nonsense. What we want is a team that goes about trying build a program to win in competent fashion, that respects the fans by providing them with a great gameday experience, that's not a laughingstock, and that treats all its people as much like family as possible.

Certainly any sports franchise could be expected to fall down in some of these areas from time to time. However, the Snyder led Redskins organization has more often than not come up woefully short on most, if not all of these things during most of his tenure. It's time for that to stop while our club still has a modicum of respect left.

There are other ways to do this besides boycotting in my opinion. I'm sorry, but with all due respect the thought that people who stand by their team are part of the problem is laughable. Incidentally, I sit in obstructed view seating (decent seats though), pay $30 per game, and I never buy anything inside the stadium. (I sign up for designated driver and get a free Coke.) I have two seats, so Snyder makes exactly $600 per year off of me, and he buys me ten Cokes per year...I highly doubt my absence is going to affect him. If anything, if I canceled my tickets he'd probably make more money because he might be able to sell them to someone else for more. (I will say that I've considered canceling them and then starting to play the secondary market game, but I know that when/if the team ever gets good again the profitability of that won't be there any longer.)

I remember the Bullets of the 80s and 90s being so bad that all their advertising campaigns were centered around the opponent.

"Come see Patrick Ewing and the Knicks!"

"You don't want to miss Micheal Jordan and the Bulls!"

Well, the 6-0 Broncos are coming to Fedex in 2 weeks. Don't miss it!

That was a brilliant marketing ploy by Susan O'Malley. When you market the visiting team, guess what? That's who's fans are going to show up. When I was twelve my Dad and I went to see the Bullets play the Knicks at the Capital Centre; my comment was that I had always wanted to go to Madison Square Garden. (Luckily the Bullets won; that must have been the worst game Patrick Ewing ever played in his career. When he fouled out in the fourth quarter the entire arena stood and booed regardless of who they were rooting for.) Obviously both baseball teams in the area have this problem also, but the difference is that neither of them market to fans of the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, etc.

I'm 40 years old. Probably a few years younger than your dad (hopefully since that would make him about 16 when you were born):D

Anyway, this is the worst I've ever seen as a lifelong diehard fan. My father and I still get together every Sunday and hope for a change. We've been doing that for quite a few years and counting.

Although we've never owned season tickets, we usually make 2 trips a year to see the team. That is, until 3 years ago. We've felt the product on the field is just not worth the time or money to see in person.

I'll always be a 'Skins fan. There simply is no other team for me or my father, but I refuse to spend any money on an inferior product.

If this makes us "fairweather fans", then so be it. At least we'll have a little more jingle in our pockts in these trying times...

my dad is turning 54 this week, so he's got a little in years on you :)

but i agree - i'm not spending a $ in the stadium. I didn't buy a jersey this year (i buy a jersey every year... this year i couldn't decide and wanted to wait and see what happened... wound up being so disgusted i quit thinking about it). I've asked my entire family to refrain from buying me anything branded redskins.

i dont mind paying for the tickets. but i wont give them any more $. its hard to resist buying an orakpo jersey :(

Archived