Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels: Hall of Fame?

SIXX99

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Do you think Chris Samuels will make the Hall? I think it would be awesome if Sean Taylor and Chris Samuels could somehow both go in together in a few years.

Why would ST make the HOF ? he did not play long enough to warrant getting in. Hell, I dont think he warranted the Ring of Honor either. Had he not been killed, he had a very good shot at it but no guarantee.

As far as Samuels, /shrugs I dont have a clule

I disagree with the majority because of his career. He has been a mainstay at the Pro Bowl year after year even on this mediocre team. The reason that none of the Hogs aren't in the Hall of Fame is that none of them had as many Pro Bowls as some of the people that are already in the Hall. The Hogs that have a chance to make the Hall of Fame are Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby, beause they made 4 Pro Bowl appearances. Jim Lachey has an outside shot because he went 3 times.

Samuels has been there 6 times in his 10 year career. That is as many times as Dan Diedorf who played with the Cardinals and only went to only 5 Pro Bowls. Joe Delamielleure who played for the Bills only had 5 Pro Bowls and both of them in the Hall of Fame. These two never played for a winning organization at the time they played. The same can be said about Bruce Matthews, 9 time Pro Bowler, Houston Oilers/Tennesee Titans or John Hannah, 9 time Pro Bowler with the New England Patriots. Not hardly winning organizations during their playing time.

So don't say that Samuels won't get in because the team didn't win enough games or because none of the Hogs are in the Hall. If you look at some of the greatest lines in NFL history, like the Steelers, Cowboys and the Redskins during their Super Bowl Championships, there is only one player from all those lines that is in the Hall of Fame and that is Mike Webster. So that will tell you something about the Hall of Fame. Just because you played on a Super Bowl Championship team doesn't mean you are a lock to the Hall Of Fame no matter what position you played.

Samuels isn't even close to being in the HOF.

In this closing generation of tackles, there was Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, and Jonathan Ogden.

And then were was everybody else. And that includes Samuels. Not to say Samuels wasn't very good, of course he was, but not nearly as dominating as those three guys.

I disagree with the majority because of his career. He has been a mainstay at the Pro Bowl year after year even on this mediocre team. The reason that none of the Hogs aren't in the Hall of Fame is that none of them had as many Pro Bowls as some of the people that are already in the Hall. The Hogs that have a chance to make the Hall of Fame are Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby, beause they made 4 Pro Bowl appearances. Jim Lachey has an outside shot because he went 3 times.

Samuels has been there 6 times in his 10 year career. That is as many times as Dan Diedorf who played with the Cardinals and only went to only 5 Pro Bowls. Joe Delamielleure who played for the Bills only had 5 Pro Bowls and both of them in the Hall of Fame. These two never played for a winning organization at the time they played. The same can be said about Bruce Matthews, 9 time Pro Bowler, Houston Oilers/Tennesee Titans or John Hannah, 9 time Pro Bowler with the New England Patriots. Not hardly winning organizations during their playing time...

Consider this, brother: Pro Bowls for the last 3 decades or more have been considered more of a popularity contest than a true designation of excellence on the field, the moreso since '95 when fans votes began to count for 1/3 of the overall ballots. By comparison, 50 AP writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL on a weekly basis year in and year out vote for the yearly All Pro team, and the 2nd and (I believe?) 3rd teams as well. IMHO this is a much better indicator of who has played outstanding that particular year. Interestingly enough, all of the names you mentioned in your post have several All Pro 1st team selections, as did Jacoby and Grimm. Samuels? I'm honestly not sure, but if he's made it on that team more than once or twice I'd be surprised.

Don't get me worng, I love the guy. He's been a rock at one of, if not THE most difficult position in all of football after QB, for a decade for us. I wish he could play there another ten, I really do. But whether he does or not, he's not getting into the Hall. It's just the way it is.

:2cents:

I voted no even though I always loved Chris' game. He made it to multiple Pro Bowls and played strong and steady but not super dominating. Plus how can he get in when no one of the Hogs have made it in yet? As good as Chris is I bet most people would say that there are guys on the Hogs line who were much better such as Grimm or Jacoby.

while i agree with california skin about Lachey and Jacoby i think that Samuels will get in.probably not the ifrst shot.maybe 4 to 6th shot.but he was 1 of the best in his time.yes Pace,Roaf,Ogden, but after that he's as good as any/he went to the pro bowl just about every year that he was available.Lachey was the best tackle of his time.he should be in there,the only thing i think that is keeping him out is a short career.Grimm and Jacoby should be in there as well.how can one of the best if not the best oline of all time not be in there.ufb people,ufb.

Ding ding ding!

Does he deserve the Hall? Definitely.

If he had been on the Patriots from 2000 to present, then would he make the Hall? He'd already be writing his speech.

Even if he had won a few rings, so what?

He was the 4th or 5th best tackle of his generation. That's not HOF worthy.

Ogden won the Super Bowl once. The Ravens were 96-95-1 over the course of his career in Baltimore, making the playoffs 5 times out of those 12 years. He's an 11 time Pro Bowler and 6 time First-Team All Pro and 2 time Second-Team All Pro.

Walter Jones went to one Super Bowl and his team lost, while the Seahawks were 102-90, and they made the playoffs six times over that span, but some of that also gets dismissed as being due to playing in such a pathetic division most of this decade. He's also a 9 time Pro Bowler, 4 time First-Team All Pro and 3 time Second-Team All Pro, and he played a huge role in paving the way for a RB to win an MVP award.

Samuels has been a great LT for us, but exposure/winning percentage/etc., isn't what's going to keep him out of the HOF. He just hasn't been as good as three or four other guys at his same position.

Speaking of the Redskins Ring of Fame, here is a link to the list of current members. When I look at this list, my gut tells me Chris definately belongs here. HOF no, but definately ROF.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Ring_of_Fame_43585.jsp

George AllenHead Coach, 1971-77

Cliff BattlesRunning Back, 1932-37

Sammy BaughQuarterback, 1937-52

Gene BritoDefensive End, 1951-53, 1955-58

Larry BrownRunning Back, 1969-76

Dave ButzDefensive Tackle, 1975-88

Gary ClarkWide Receiver, 1985-92

Jack Kent CookeOwner, 1961-97

Bill DudleyRunning Back, 1950-51, 1953

Wayne CurryP.G. County Excutive, 1994-2002

Pat FischerCornerback, 1968-77

Joe GibbsHead Coach, 1981-92, 2004-07

Darrell GreenCornerback, 1983-2002

Russ GrimmGuard, 1981-91

Chris HanburgerLinebacker, 1965-78

Ken HarveyLinebacker, 1994-98

Len HaussCenter, 1964-77

Phil HochbergP.A. Announcer, 1963-2000

Ken HoustonSafety, 1973-80

Sam HuffLinebacker, 1964-67 / 1969; Inducted in 1982

Joe JacobyTackle/Guard, 1981-93

Dick JamesRunning Back, 1956-63

Sonny JurgensenQuarterback, 1964-74

Charlie JusticeRunning Back, 1950, 1952-54

Billy KilmerQuarterback, 1971-78

Eddie LaBaronQuarterback, 1952-53, 1955-59

Vince LombardiHead Coach, 1969

Dexter ManleyDefensive End, 1981-89

Charles MannDefensive End, 1983-93

George Preston MarshallTeam Founder, 1932-69

Wayne MillnerEnd, 1936-41, 1945

Bobby MitchellFlanker, 1962-68

Art MonkWide Receiver, 1980-1993

Mark MoseleyKicker, 1974-86

Brig OwensDefensive Back, 1966-77

Vince PromutoGuard, 1960-70

John RigginsRunning Back, 1976-79, 1981-85

Jerry SmithTight End, 1965-77

Charley TaylorWide Receiver, 1964-77

Sean TaylorSafety, 2004-07

Joe TheismannQuarterback, 1974-85

Lamar "Bubba" TyerHead Athletic Trainer, 1971-2002, 2004-08

Doug WilliamsQuarterback, 1986-89

Do you think Chris Samuels will make the Hall? I think it would be awesome if Sean Taylor and Chris Samuels could somehow both go in together in a few years.

There is a zero percent chance that S.T. goes to the Hall of Fame. Samuels is a question mark. But given that we have haven't seen any of the Hog's make it. I highly doubt Samuels will be inducted. 6 probowls were impressive. But he has only 3 play off games in his career. One 2nd team All pro. IMHO both fall short. Certainly a member of the ring of honor.

I've seen a couple people refer to 6 pro bowls being impressive. By normal standards it is, but in the HOF discussion its pedestrian. Just for perspective:

Chris Samuels: 6x pro bowl. 1x second team all-pro.

Jonathan Ogeden: 11x pro bowl. 6x first team all-pro.

Walter Jones: 9x pro bowl. 4x first team all-pro.

Orlando Pace: 7x pro bowl. 3x first team all-pro, 1x second team all-pro.

Edit: And some current OL members of The Hall:

Art Shell: 8x pro bowl. 4x first team all-pro.

Randall McDaniel: 12x pro bowl. 9x first team all-pro

Bruce Matthews: 14x pro bowl. 9x first team all-pro

Archived