Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels: Hall of Fame?

SIXX99

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Deserving, yes. Will he, no.

Strike 1 - he's an offensive linemen. OL are typically ignored by the media, the fans, the TV announcers (unless they screw up) and HOF committee (as well as Dan and Vinny). All of the legendary Hogs, one of the most dominant OLs of the modern football era, are absent from the HOF and will probably remain so.

Strike 2 - he's a Redskin. Until Monk and Green went in, 3 Super Bowl wins out of 4 SB appearances produced one (1) HOF team member. That was Riggo. 16 years to get another Redskin in after their last SB appearance. Chris Hanburger has got to be the poster child for overlooked HOF credentials. Samuels is going to join him on the list. If he had been a New York Gnat or a Dallas Cowflop, they'd be shining the bust up now.

Strike 3 - no SB appearances. Only QB's and RB's have a chance to get in without SB appearances. Talent without the glare of a SB appearance means little to the HOF committee, the majority of whom never played a down past high school, if ever. During his career, Samuels took on and beat almost every team's number one rusher and left them with no sacks. Ask that gap-toothed TV star that used to play for the Gnats how he fared against Samuels or who he thinks was the best OL he faced. But what he believes won't matter, because he doesn't vote for the HOF.

Some of you don't understand what the hell the hall of fame is.

You have to be the very best two or three players at your position in the NFL for a very long time.

Samuels was never the best. He was a damn good player that anyone would love to have. But he was never dominant and never considered the best.

You don't get in the hall of fame for being very good. You have to be dominant at your position.

No one that has played on our team in the last decade sniffs the hall of fame. Not Portis. Not Samuels. Not Fletcher. Not Taylor. Although Taylor might have had a chance depending on how he developed.

Respect what Monk accomplished. Quit trying to stick every player in a Redskins uniform in the Hall of Fame which is reserved for the best in the league for long periods of time.

He was also in a slump before Buges came over and saved his career, these were his exact words from himself.

I'll echo the majority of the sentiments already posted here: he doesn't come close to getting in. Very good, very solid career -- but the HOF is the best of the best, the elite. Samuels never attained that status. Not to mention, as has already been touched on, if ANY 'Skins linemen ever make it in it had damn well better be Joe Jacoby or Russ Grimm first and foremost.

RE: other Tackles mentioned in a couple of posts, my two cents are as follows -- Pace and Jones don't make it; the former played in largely one-dimensional (passing) offenses for most of his career, which makes his run-blocking ability suspect. No OL in the Hall is more of a pass blocker than run blocker, or vice versa -- they're pretty much all equally adept. For the same reason I don't see Jones getting in. If any of Samuels' contemporaries make it it would be Jonathan Ogden, IMO. He's absolutely wrecked guys across the LOS from him his entire career, be it driving them back or anchoring in pass pro.

But hey, I've been wrong before. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure why the OP even brought Taylor up in the discussion. No matter how good a player he was becoming, no one gets into the Hall if they only play for 4-5 years total.

Samuels...it'd be dicey at best. If it happens, it's going to be a long, long way down the road. And I really doubt that ever happens.

He was the best of the group, but he only played, what, 7 seasons?

I don't know that T-Bone was better than Ogden -- the latter is 3" taller (w/proportionately longer arms for pass pro) and was between 20-35 lbs heavier in any given season. About the only thing Boselli had over all of 'em, and I had to give him props for it even though he was a hated Trojan, was his nasty attitude. Dude wanted to PUNISH guys out there. He did not come to play, so to speak. Loved that. It's too bad his lower back and several discs got all torqued, or he'd probably still be holding down a starting spot on some team.

Considering that he lasted this long in the NFC Beast, going up against some of the best defenses this decade, and still went to 6 pro bowls he should get in. But come on, you have to be a fool to think that he will. Look how long it took Monk to get in and he dominated regularly. Samuels dominated on occasions. I can say one thing though, when he was hot, nobody was going to get past

Tony Boselli was better than all three of those guys put together.

He might have been a better player in spurts, but he didn't play enough to actuall be consistently better than either. He played in only 90 NFL games, while Ogden played in 177. Pace is at 163 and counting. I think this matters when considering players for the HOF.

I for one felt about half of his pro bowl selections were'nt warranted. My opinion was that he was the best player on a poor team for the majority of his carrer. Mostly a player favorite and the reason he got voted in to those pro bowls.

Further, I guess I'll be the first to mention the slayings division opponents put on him. The amount of sacks and false starts he had b/c he was to slow to stop DeMarcus and others was tremendous.

Am I the only one remebering the Cowboys routinely running around the left end with hardly a hand on their DE. Or the thrashing the NYG gave to us routinely over the last 5 years.

I must be crazy, but I wouldnt even nominate Samuels for a vote.

Sorry Chris. Thank you for being a worthy #2 overall. But, outside a couple of pro bowl years early, you hardly made much more of a 'serviceable' impression. Basically, you lived up to a 1st round LT pick, nothing more.

But as a potential lifetime Skin- thank you. However, I have to be firm on this.

above average tackles who don't dominate shouldn't go in the hall. He has NEVER been considered THE best tackle in the league. He is in a large group of tackles and maybe the bottom of the group in his era. He is like a Flozell,Tre Thomas,Orlando Pace, Walter Jones,Jonathen Ogden.... could go on and on.

I think he's good enough and deserving of the Hall of Fame, but he won't be inducted.

above average tackles who don't dominate shouldn't go in the hall. He has NEVER been considered THE best tackle in the league. He is in a large group of tackles and maybe the bottom of the group in his era. He is like a Flozell,Tre Thomas,Orlando Pace, Walter Jones,Jonathen Ogden.... could go on and on.

I don't think I've ever heard a "Who's the best tackle in the league" conversation on TV.

Archived