Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn Show - Three Starters on Offense

Reaganaut

When asked by Tom Loverro and Sheehan about personnel differences between Seattle and Washington he mentions three players who would be starters on Seattle.

Portis

Cooley

Santana Moss

He answered the question this way and did not back off. They didn't press him on this, but it's clear that he thinks he only has three starters on offense.

He had nothing to do with the Sherm Lewis at all. Cerrato implied that he let Zorn pick the consultant. He was open and said that it is going to be very difficult to work like this, but that with their track record something had to be done.

He is starting Campbell who he pulled because of a few problems in the first half. He thinks offensive line is doing well for what they've been asked to do and moving around like they have.

He was asked about success with Seattle. He said it took six years to get to that point. So... No direct shots at Cerrato, but the implications are clear that he thinks his bosses are fools.

(Edit: Zorn wasn't intending to make an exhaustive list here. He started with Moss, then Cooley and added Portis at the end. Obviously Samuels would make the grade if healthy.)

And he would be right.

I asked this question a few days ago, about how many of our players would actually start on the Giants.

Out of 22 players, the consensus was 6 or so. I thought maybe less.

It isn't pretty, but it is time those in denial the last few years face the truth.

But this is all Zorn's fault! I mean why can't he make the offense good... despite only having three players that would start for the 2-4 seattle seahawks. I know! Let's hire another super bowl winning old guy that will only be here for 3-4 seasons max and see if he can win without talent! BRILLIANT!

BTW - The national media isn't blaming Zorn, they are blaming Snyder and the front office. You pretty much have to be a total moron to not understand that Zorn is in an impossible situation. Players like Portis go over his head doing and saying whatever the hell they want. He's got a terrible offensive unit. The defensive and special teams coaches have no loyalty to him what-so-ever. Vinny never bothered to provide him with a decent staff for the offensive side of the ball.

The biggest mistake of Zorn's football career was coming to washington. This town is a reputation killer. Any young coach that comes here is a damn fool.

I disagree with his assessment. I don't think Portis could start for Seattle. Or maybe he could, but that says more about their state of RBs than how good Portis is now.

I'd say 2 players on offense.

I'd say a lot more than that on defense. The defense is fine.

EDIT: A healthy Samuels might start for a lot of teams.

Ive dogged Zorn a lot lately but dammit im rooting for him like no other to get one last win before they fire him Monday night after the game. For some reason im starting to like the guy as a human more than as a football coach, per se. The position Vinny/Dan has put him in at the moment is downright embarrasing. The man doesnt deserve that...its torture what they are doing. Its sick.

I would question Portis (of now) being able to start on those Seattle teams. Shaun Alexader was a decent back for them for a good while. Now Portis in his prime (circa 2003) would get the nod on those Seattle teams but the Portis of 2009 would not IMO.

Ive dogged Zorn a lot lately but dammit im rooting for him like no other to get one last win before they fire him Monday night after the game. For some reason im starting to like the guy as a human more than as a football coach, per se.

+1

Jim if you're going down...go down swinging...and take as many people with you as you can.

Yup, thats about right..damn near everyone (not a redskin fan) feels that way about those 3 as well

As a matter of fact, I see CP and Cooley starting ANYWHERE, don't know about Tana tho

Moss my not be a number 1 everywhere but as a number 2 he'd be a monster.

When asked by Tom Loverro and Sheehan about personnel differences between Seattle and Washington he mentions three players who would be starters on Seattle.

Portis

Cooley

Santana Moss

I heard this interview. He did mention those 3, but there's no indication that those are the only players he believed could have started in Seattle. Kevin and Thom did not cut him off, but it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list. He was not intending to make an indictment of the Redskins' talent.

There is no way Portis starts anywhere.

This statement is incorrect, as is the "he could start ANYWHERE" statement made earlier.

He could start for a good amount of teams, but there's definitely a decent amount of teams that wouldn't start him.

Zorn is right. 2 years ago he was handed a turd of a team and was told to work with it. This last offseason the FO did nothing to help the teams greatest weakness, which was and is the O-line.

The Seahawks team that Holmgren left last year was built much better and with greater depth than the Skins are in 2009, and that's even with some O-line issues that they have had.

Santana would start anywhere just not a 1

Also probably not a correct statement. Santana would play just about anywhere. I don't know that he'd start anywhere, and neither do you. He definitely wouldn't start for Arizona. Just to name one team.

Archived