Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honeycrisp Apple = Best Apple in the World!

Titaw

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

87356.jpg

Alright, I guess this is an okay thread to post this in. Since I moved to Germantown (MD) last fall, I've been searching for my Gala apple fix. Nearly every store I've gone to (Safeway/Giant/Wal-Mart, etc) has either had ones that were too big (I like the smaller ones that come in a bag) or the bag kind where half of them are already going bad, and are a little mushy.

When I lived in SoMD, I would always stop by the Bowie Wal-Mart near 197 to get my Gala apples after leaving the gym, and they had the best kind around. Every last one of them was nice and shiny, crisp/juicy, and full of pesticides to where my hands tingled when I washed them (I won't pretend to act like that is all that healthy, but since I eat relatively healthy, exercise regularly, and don't smoke, I can take the damage).

I am close to ordering some online ( I have never shopped online for groceries), but figured that I'd make 1-2 more last ditch efforts to find some quality Gala apples. Yes, there are other apples that taste good (maybe even better), but I have sort of a love affair/addiction with Gala apples. I need them, and I can't live without them. I know there are a fair amount of Germantown/Gaithersburgers that post here, so where exactly should I look to find a store that sells some smaller/quality Gala apples?

Is Butlers Orchard still around? Have you checked there?

I haven't lived in MoCo in nearly 14 years, but at a similar style farm by me, they have them. And Honeycrisp apple cider. That's some damn good drink. I have to be careful not to drink the whole gallon.

Is Butlers Orchard still around? Have you checked there?

I haven't lived in MoCo in nearly 14 years, but at a similar style farm by me, they have them. And Honeycrisp apple cider. That's some damn good drink. I have to be careful not to drink the whole gallon.

Yep

Hmm, maybe I will check there. I have mostly stayed away from Farmers market type places when it comes to certain fruits, because I assume that they don't put a lot of pesticides in them (and I generally buy my apples in bulk, so in some cases it will be over a week before I eat one)

Gotta try the Pinata apples now. The stores are hip to the honeycrisp game and make them ungodly expensive.

I'll have to look for the Pinatas. You're right that the honeycrisp apples are expensive but I've also noticed that they're not as good as they were before. I don't know if it's the "first time" phenomenon, that the first ones we tried were picked fresh and driven down from MI, or if they're starting to be more mass produced and the quality has slipped.

I sometime get a bag of organic Galas through Peapod (Giant delivery), but only when I'm feeling flush with money, which hasn't been in a couple of years.  I buy organic Galas at Safeway and them seem to be the smaller size you are looking for Mr. Sinister.  The organic Galas in a bag can be had at Giant in the stores sometimes, but it's hit or miss.

Yeah I typically get the ones from Safeway that come in the open red bag. They're probably the closest to what I'm talking about, but they get a little mushy as well.

I got the organics from Giant once, and half the entire bag was already spoiled. The Wal-Mart here has a similar style of apple to the ones I used to get, but it's a different flavor/color. I'm borderline OCD about which kind of apples I choose to eat, which kind of explains my frustration.  :lol:

Who would've thought that Wal-Mart of all places would have the best apples I've ever eaten (so fresh you could probably knock someone out with them). I'm going to try that farmers market that rictus mentioned tomorrow though.

• 1 month later...

This GMO Apple Won't Brown. Will That Sour The Fruit's Image?

If you (or your children) turn up your nose at brown apple slices, would you prefer fresh-looking ones that have been genetically engineered?

Neal Carter, president of , in British Columbia, Canada, certainly hopes so. His company has created the new, non-browning, , and he's hoping for big orders from despairing parents and food service companies alike. Food service companies, he says, would no longer have to treat their sliced apples with antioxidant chemicals like calcium ascorbate to keep them looking fresh.

The cost savings "can be huge," he says. "Right now, to make fresh-cut apple slices and put them in the bag, 35 or 40 percent of the cost is the antioxident treatment. So you could make a fresh-cut apple slice 30 percent cheaper."

The new apples are waiting for approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. But they face opposition — including from apple producers who worry that this new product will taint the apple's wholesome, all-natural image.

"Our concern is marketing," says Christian Schlect, president of the , which represents apple growers in the major apple-producing areas of the Pacific Northwest.

Schlect sees a risk that consumers who are viscerally opposed to genetic engineering will avoid apples entirely, and the industry will have to spend precious time and money keeping GMO apples separate from their conventional cousins.

The non-browning trait was created by inserting extra copies of genes that the apple already possessed. These genes normally create an enzyme called polyphenol oxidase, which is responsible for the chemical reaction that causes browning.

Yet when extra copies of the gene are added, the apple reacts by shutting down all of them, stopping production of the enzyme and preventing the browning reaction. (Like any apple, these apples eventually will go brown from normal rotting. It's the immediate "enzymatic browning" that's blocked.)

Click on the link for the full article

Archived